Back to Magic in the Middle Ages

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Magic in the Middle Ages by Universitat de Barcelona

Magical thought has always attracted human imagination. In this course we will introduce you to the Middle Ages through a wide conception of magic. Students will have an approach to medieval culture, beliefs and practices from the perspective of History and History of Science. Popular magic, as well as learned magic (alchemy, geomancy and necromancy) will be addressed. Moreover, we will also deal with how eastern practices and texts influenced western culture. In July 2016, the course will contain a brand-new module devoted to astrology. Magic in the Middle Ages offers a captivating overview of medieval society and promotes reflection about certain stereotypes associated with this period. At the end of the course, the students: a) will have overcome the usual prejudices about the Middle Ages, b) will be able to analyze historical documentation from the Middle Ages and recognize the most common patterns of juridical documents regarding witchcraft, and c) will be capable of distinguishing between popular magic and the magic of the learned people; will have a notion of which spiritual practices were allowed in medieval Europe and which ones were related to the devil, and will be aware of the link between a cultural product and the society that produced it. This course is taught in English, although subtitles in English, Catalan and Spanish will also be provided. COURSE SYLLABUS Week 1. Introduction to medieval magic (Pau Castell). Week 2. Magic & Heresy (Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel). Week 3. From Magic to Witchcraft (Pau Castell). Week 4. Magic in Islam (Godefroid de Callataÿ and Sébastien Moureau). Week 5. Astrology & Geomancy (Theo Loinaz, Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel, Godefroid de Callataÿ and Blanca Villuendas). © Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany Magic in the Middle Ages by Gemma Pellissa Prades (coord.), Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel and Joana Palau Mumany is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License....

BW
Mar 23, 2018

Helpful and insightful. I try to learn as much about witchcraft and all religions as I can. The first set of videos were well lit and well read. I recommend this for anyone who wants to learn more.

NM
Jul 14, 2020

This course was really thorough and interesting. I liked how it covered a range of religions and regions and I think it's great how there are interactive assignments which judge out writing.

351 - 375 of 445 Reviews for Magic in the Middle Ages

By James J

Jul 4, 2019

This course was good. I learned some things beyond a highschool education. I wish that it went more into the actual spells cast in medieval times. However, this is a history class, and it mentioned the key characters and key events that changed how magic was viewed.

By ivan d

Oct 21, 2016

it's a good course but i think it would be better if they have it also in spanish and apart from that as a suggestion, teachers should talk a little slow, sometimes it's hard to understand some words because of it. apart from that it's a very good course

By P A P

May 9, 2020

I feel i got a basic idea of magic in middle ages , in different religions , connecting it to the social , economic and political conditions of that time. The videos were quite useful , will definitely delve into more thorough the provided bibliography

By Rhiannon E

Feb 16, 2020

This was a a very enjoyable and beginner-friendly course which provided some interesting historical insights. My favourite part was learning about how knowledge was shared between the Arab and Latin world during the Middle Ages.

By Pilar P d C

Apr 12, 2018

Fascinating insight into the reality of magic during the middle ages. Well thought out course generally speaking with interesting information. Maybe during the first two modules could have done with more pictorial aids. Thanks.

By Megan

Oct 27, 2019

This is a great toe-dip into the vast world of Medieval magic and it's contemporary reception. I highly recommend this course to anyone who needs a head start on the subject, is looking for a refresher, or is simply curious.

By Renee N

Apr 20, 2018

Loved it! Found some of the lessons hard to understand but the content was constantly very intriguing and engaging. Great for anyone interested in the topic/concept of magic, and how it existed among people centuries ago.

By angela

Feb 24, 2018

interesting topic, would be great to have demonstrated more resources during the video and readings for self-study. Great team of scholars! It looks like they had fun doing this. I certainly had fun taking this course.

By Jude S W

May 11, 2018

I like this course, but I wish it was longer and more in depth. I also feel that the grading was a bit elementary. Harder task, required reading or longer tests would make me feel more learned and more accomplished.

By summer w

I enjoyed this class a lot, there were a few times that I had problems. Mainly peer review assignments, the original explanation of it and the rubric asked for different things. Other than that it was great.

By James M

Dec 20, 2017

Good course, I wish there were more academic readings attached to the lessons, especially primary sources. Definitely a worthwhile introduction to the subject, or a support to a study of the Middle Ages.

By kouassi n c

Sep 7, 2017

it was instructive and I appreciated very much this course I knew nothing about the period of the Inquisition and if there is another more in depth course on the subject I will register

By Hasib u R I

Jul 21, 2020

Excellent course. Although I knew a lot about this topic from different Tv series, novels, games etc., yet it digs deeper into those common conceptions which made it more interesting

By Linda t B

Sep 14, 2016

Interesting facts about the thoughts and ideas about magic in the medieval period and how it influenced the society in that time and even still influenced people of the 21st century.

By Daniel S

Jun 7, 2020

It was a little difficult to follow the flow of information. A little too high paced. I would have appreciated a few more bite-sized units. Otherwise, it was an excellent course.

By Tamara C B

Jan 6, 2020

Really interesting. I have learnt new concepts. You could realized that some paterns are cyclic; and that nature can give you more knowledge and information than you think today.

By Yeşim D Ç

Sep 17, 2020

The course contents were very clearly explained. Understanding the idea of magic through lots of different examples will be helpful, I believe, in Renaissance drama studies.

By Safari J

Apr 4, 2019

I wanted more information on magic rituals and potions and secrets of the herbs.. I feel like I learnt more about Christianity and Islam. Thank you for the knowledge though!

By Scott B

Feb 22, 2018

Informative, goes to a relatively satisfying depth, provides interaction and is coherent throughout. Helped me as a source for inspiration for a graphic novel I'm writing.

By sindhuja g

Oct 5, 2020

As a student who is doing masters in ENGLISH, this course helped me to understand the role of magic in the middle ages well. Thank You so much for such an amazing course.

By Bea P

Dec 28, 2017

Good course, illustrative and entertaining, and academic at the same time. However, I would have enjoyed some content related to Medieval Norse magic within the syllabus.

By Ben G

Apr 7, 2020

Very interesting topic material covered in great depth. Only comment is that there could be more visual aid during the presentations but overall definitely worth doing.

By Yolanda C L G

Oct 16, 2016

Muchas gracias por este excelente curso.

Sin embargo me pareció aburrido, pues faltaron diagramas, cuadros sinópticos, imágenes

En cuanto a información, muy, muy bueno.

By Luiz E B G

May 12, 2020

It's a great course, with good teachers who explain in a diverse way. I recommend! I loved the experience and I am glad to have accomplished this achievement!

By Siddhi D

Jun 14, 2019

This was an amazing course that completely changed the way I looked at conceptions of medieval magic and astrology and also, was extremely informative.