Back to Making Architecture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Making Architecture by IE Business School

Making architecture offers a unique insight into the mind and work of an Architect, starting with the basics of the profession and culminating with the production of a scaled site model. The course should act as ideal preparation for those interested in undertaking an undergraduate degree in Architecture, although its flexible, intriguing and enjoyable content makes it accessible for all those looking to increase their knowledge in the field. Delivered primarily by Professors from the IE School of Architecture and design in Segovia (Spain), the course begins by examining the mind-set of an Architect - asking how they think and what they do to train their creative minds, moving on to using inspiration from the environment to stimulate design ideas. Finally, the course concludes by looking at some of the more technical aspects of Architecture - such as composition, form, space and hierarchy - and stressing the importance of creating a story that helps define your design. This fascinating content is delivered principally from the stunning design studio at the IE school of Architecture and features external videos from a few beautiful locations in the city of Segovia. Finally, it includes interviews from Pritzker Prize executive director - and Dean of the school of Architecture and design at IE - Martha Thorne, with a number of award winning practising architects such as Sarah Wigglesworth and Cristoph Ingenhoven....

SK
Sep 7, 2020

The content is really good for beginner architects, the instructors were amazing and supportive. Examples of project and their analysis is really interesting so perhaps more examples could be added

CS

Even though it is a very short course, the skills, ideas and knowledge learnt is very useful. I can already think of different ways and new ways to approach my work, designs and daily life.

51 - 75 of 254 Reviews for Making Architecture

By Marianne J M G

Jun 25, 2020

This course is possibly one of the best there is here on Coursera. Even people with no background in architecture will learn from and enjoy this course. The videos are short but informative and interesting, the professors (all three of them) are good-looking and knowledgeable in the field. The assignments are tough, but with inspiration, passion, discipline and creativity, anyone can make it work. Thanks, IE School of Architecture and Design, and Coursera!

By Abigail D

Apr 26, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. I found that is very much inspired me to continue my journey into architecture even though I am late the this. I am in my mid fifties so this will be more than challenging but worth doing. No matter what your age this course not only teaches you some basic concepts it also expands the way you think about buildings, people and nature and hoe they intersect in design and in life.

By Ada G

I am truly grateful for this course, and I have a more ample vision about architecture thanks to this course. Let me tell you that I really enjoyed taking this class, doing the projects, and reviewing other's peer projects. I want to thank the instructors for creating this content and their knowledge provided, you guys are amazing and it inspired me to really want to continue on this journey.

By Lorelie S

I really enjoyed this especially whilst during COVID19 lockdown! Was well set up for a beginner and non-architect background person like myself. Professors shared their great knowledge and gave relatable examples. Thank you IE and Coursera, keep providing great courses like this! Finished this course with a big sigh of relief and amazing sense of achievement!! Lorelie of Sydney AUS

By Stebikhova O

Oct 10, 2019

The time spent with this course was one of the most amazing in my life! In the video lectures and assignments of professors collected only the most important, valuable, what you need to pay attention to. It's like jewels. Tasks are formulated in an exciting and understandable, and most importantly, develop the skills you need! I am overwhelmed by this course and will miss it. THANK you!

By Shreya T

Oct 26, 2020

Really helpful course for beginners who want to know if they are or aren't interested in architecture. Also, the assignments help you test your basic skills. I took the course in my third year actually just to know more about the field and I must say that even if the assignments were basic, I got to learn a lot of new things. So I would definitely suggest taking this course

By Faten S

Apr 18, 2020

I loved this course, especially the practical part of it where you got to build a model of your design. I learned some new skills from this course that I definitely think will help me in my future in architecture. What was also great is that, as a 15 year old, I didn't struggle with this course so I would definitely recommend it to teens too!

By Toby L

Sep 11, 2020

I have learnt a lot of core knowledge in and around architecture. I now understand key design principles and processes required in architecture, and have more of an understanding of the iterative processes and development of a design. This has helped me a lot, would recommend to anyone with an interest in architecture.

By Filip B

Sep 9, 2020

I really like the course, as over the time it adds different perspectives on how architecture works. It's quite simple, yet satisfying to acquire new skills. It comes handy when one wants to understand the space and place better in the context of community and possible activities. I definitely recommend this course!

By Shalton N

Sep 21, 2020

Honestly this has been a very powerful course, even for some of the projects i was personally doing i gained cliental respect as they found me to be with direction...many thanks towards your patience humility and considerate attitude beloved professors for walking us this wonderful journey in MAKING ARCHITECTURE.

By Mugambi m m .

Jul 16, 2020

I take this opportunity to appreciate Coursera together with IE university for their interesting sponsorship program that has really helped me and many like me from Africa to take the first step in changing our countries and giving them a brighter future and the change we would like to see. Thank you very much.

By Ira R

Aug 2, 2019

I really enjoyed this course! I think it's a great way to develop a beginner's mind to architecture's most basic principles, to excite and intrigue someone who is thinking of pursuing architecture as his/her career. The videos were really informative and I loved doing the hands-on activities too. I loved it! :)

By Kim R

Aug 24, 2020

Thank you IE School of Architecture and Design for this wonderful opportunity! As an architecture student I found this course really helpful - it pushed and strengthen my creative and designing skills. I learned so much in just a couple of weeks! Really recommend.

By Ahamed A A

Nov 11, 2020

With this course i have learnt how to over come thinking and known about super structural buildings and where the nature is important and where should we use.

And at last exercise i have known to place the spaces at correct position and the use of natural light.

By Mame D M

Aug 25, 2020

I loved this course, as a student about to go into my first year of bachelors in architecture, this course taught me a lot of the basics and I feel much more prepared to go into my first year. The addition of the practical assignments is a good practise as well.

By Piyush K

Jun 7, 2020

It was really an amazing experience with IE school. I am a student of Civil Engineering with keen interest in architecture. This course is designed so nicely to have a good concept of architecture.

Thanks to IE school especially Nenad Sir and Romero Sir.

By Toolsie P

Oct 25, 2020

This course was never how I imagine it would be but it was much better than how I pictured it to be soon I'ma go to a architecture school in Canada and I'ma start my career there from scratch and prove that architecture was the right career I chose

By Abhishek P G

I really enjoyed the online course. I thought it was well planned and layed out, easy for me to follow. The week assignment was just enough, so i could finish everything with enough time, learn about the topics and not feel over loaded and rushed.

By Megan A C

Nov 6, 2020

It made me choose Architecture to be my course in college next year. It definetely opened my mind what to expect about this discipline. The instructors were fantastic, very insightful and clear. The assignments were very practical and useful.

By Claire F

This course gave me a great insight on the designer's mindset and the process of design in general. Everything is very well explained, having he video and transcript is very helpful, and the assignments are really interesting to do.

By anastasia s

Apr 24, 2020

Loved the seeming simplicity of the course, and how in short time the professors managed to give a lot of extremely useful information. Thank you so much! Also I think the practical tasks are very well thought through.

By Tutku Y

Oct 26, 2020

I think it is very useful. I have found that our work improves us more, not only by watching the videos but also by doing the exercises. I have acquired information that I will use in my next education. Thank you :)

By Malaz A O M

Sep 17, 2020

amazing presentation and explanation.

So much fun and interesting and easy to digest.

Although architecture is quite difficult to be taught online, this course has been been incredibly informative, engaging and useful.

By Raashidha A R

Aug 11, 2020

I learned a lot of things from the course.. the importance of thinking about design...

helpful as I am doing my architecture degree and need to make several models.. appreciate the course ... thank you so much ...

By Hiya G

Jul 10, 2020

An amazing experience.. and its totally worth a shot, especially if you are an aspiring architect, or fond of architecture, or simply want to explore the world of architecture. I'd highly recommend it!