Back to Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know by University of California, Davis

We explore “10 things” that range from the menu of materials available to engineers in their profession to the many mechanical and electrical properties of materials important to their use in various engineering fields. We also discuss the principles behind the manufacturing of those materials. By the end of the course, you will be able to: * Recognize the important aspects of the materials used in modern engineering applications, * Explain the underlying principle of materials science: “structure leads to properties,” * Identify the role of thermally activated processes in many of these important “things” – as illustrated by the Arrhenius relationship. * Relate each of these topics to issues that have arisen (or potentially could arise) in your life and work. If you would like to explore the topic in more depth you may purchase Dr. Shackelford's Textbook: J.F. Shackelford, Introduction to Materials Science for Engineers, Eighth Edition, Pearson Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 2015...

ZM
Jul 17, 2017

This course is good for engineers. It illustrated many fundemental and important concept in materials science. The teacher is great who explain nearly everthings in details with words and experiments.

DK
Sep 23, 2020

76 - 100 of 888 Reviews for Materials Science: 10 Things Every Engineer Should Know

By Navendra P S

May 3, 2020

Awesome Learning !!!

After completing the course, I really found that the course name is really meaningful.

Along with the content, style of teaching and content compilation was colorful and never felt monotonous.

By Sachin P

Apr 23, 2020

It's very interesting course and especially i learnt so many facts and deep knowledge of mainly six materials therefore i endorse to learners do at least one time. It will uplift your basic knowledge of material.

By Siddhesh C

Apr 29, 2018

This course is better for those who wants to learn basics of Material Science. It cleared all my concepts and I got knowledge about it. Thank you UC Davis and also thanks to Dr. James Shackelford for this course.

By Tamu S

Feb 22, 2016

I've done my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering in one of the best colleges in India, and yet this course makes me understand the roots of Material Science & Engg. better than my 4 years spent in college.

By Mohammad H S

Feb 10, 2016

I really thank to Coursera Community and University of California, Davis for organizing this useful course. I reccomend all the students who are studying Engineering majors.

Come on friends and join us.

By Louie R

Sep 9, 2019

I have learned a lot! Thanks to this very comprehensive course. Very easy to follow lessons! The professor explained very well each section with great mastery of the subject matter. Thanks Prof JD.

By SURIYA V

Jun 18, 2020

A special thankd to Mr.James Shackelford, who guided me throughout this course journey. The way he explain all material science topic is fablous. I enjoyed this course and once again i thank you sir

By Jiyoung p

Apr 26, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. I was not sure what to expect but it was very informative and I learned alot of crucial lessons that I supposed to know working in automotive industry. Thank you :)

By Osmar d S S

May 3, 2016

Excellent course to get the first contact with material science discipline.

PS.: Professor Shackelford is very didactic in his explanations.

Great professor.

Osmar Santos

Santa Branca-SP / BRAZIL.

By Merve Ö

Aug 18, 2019

I really liked the course. The instructor was very good. He defined the subjects very clearly and then gave interesting examples. I recommend this course, especially, for electronics engineers.

By Jobert J A B

Jul 25, 2020

The professor is great and holds a lot of knowledge to what he is teaching. I also like the way he delivers the lesson and the thorough explanation of the subject matter partnered with graphs.

By SALOOP T S

Sep 27, 2020

Thank you Dr, John Shackelford and Coursera for this brief introduction to material. It was a good experience to see the labs and you explained things from there itself. Thank you Very much.

By Ashish P

Jun 24, 2018

Beautiful course. Helped me a lot in the selection of materials for our rocketry team. I'll be sure to suggest this course to my fellow teammates. A big thumbs-up to UCDAVIS for this course.

By Carlos R D

Jul 12, 2020

It was delightful to refresh some old knowledge from the university year and internalize and consolidate such concepts. I will be also happy to deepen in new concepts for me in the future.

By Ramya P

May 14, 2020

We know how vast the material science filed is. This course is the one of the best and effective way to gain insight of important materials science aspects for the engineering applications

By 洪崧貿

Apr 20, 2018

I'm an engineer with material science background. This course reminds me a lot of knowledge with simple way and make things clear. I hope that i can use these useful knowledge on my work.

By MOHAMED M P

Jun 28, 2020

It was very nice experience for me in reviewing so many basic thing and that are very much important in my professional job as working in the field of inspection of pipe lines

By Yulei F

Feb 14, 2019

pretty good, the professor deliver the lecture in a very vivid way and what really surprise me is that I can get so much knowledge from this short course.thank you, professor.

By Muhammad J A

Jan 23, 2016

The Course is designed so well by the UC Davis and Coursera. And the discussion forum is also really helpful for me while studying this course. It's really a great experience.

By MACCHA D K

Jan 10, 2016

its been an awesome experience through the course. The topics have taught interestingly with relevant examples throughout the lecture's. Finally my sincere thanks to Mr.James

By Jayadevan P C

Feb 8, 2021

It is a very good course for all mechanical engineering fellows.. For other disciplines too, no need of any basic fundamental understanding, this course will give you that.

By noli e

Jul 5, 2020

I learned much about this course. with the simple but detailed discussion of dr. James Shackelford, I got more interest to pursue he study materials science and engineering

By Jessalyn C G

Sep 13, 2020

As aspirant Materials Scientist I learned to understand and emphasize how the history of materials influences its structure and the material's properties and performance.

By Gavin H

Dec 8, 2016

As and organic chemist working in a materials company, mainly adhesives, I found this course to be an excellent introduction to material testing and material science in ge

By Steffen C

Oct 19, 2020

Great course, very manageable with the concept of splitting it over 5 weeks of learning. Especially the introduction of the "Big Four" mechanical properties is well done.