Back to Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Stanford University

Learn how to think the way mathematicians do – a powerful cognitive process developed over thousands of years. Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing mathematics – at least not as mathematics is typically presented in our school system. School math typically focuses on learning procedures to solve highly stereotyped problems. Professional mathematicians think a certain way to solve real problems, problems that can arise from the everyday world, or from science, or from within mathematics itself. The key to success in school math is to learn to think inside-the-box. In contrast, a key feature of mathematical thinking is thinking outside-the-box – a valuable ability in today’s world. This course helps to develop that crucial way of thinking....

NR

Mar 4, 2018

An awesome course. Very easy to follow at the start, becomes more challenging at the end. I have a PhD in economics yet I struggled with the real analysis at the end. And that's just intro level! :-D

AM

Nov 23, 2019

It was an amazing course! Lots of interesting content. The content is also explained really well, i found it really easy to understand. The assessments are a little challenging, but reasonably sized.

251 - 275 of 568 Reviews for Introduction to Mathematical Thinking

By Ying X

Mar 17, 2017

this course is what people stupid like me need to make the world a better reasonable place

By Thanaa A

Jul 27, 2020

Very informative course I will recommend to all my friends. Thank you professor Devlin.

By Florian T

Oct 24, 2017

Really great course ! Totally changed my mind in mathematics and even in everyday life !

By Enrique P P

Jul 4, 2017

Really nice course to review some mathematical reasoning and practice some proof writing

By Dave B

Oct 16, 2017

Great course. Fun and engaging. Drives home the importance of using precise language.

By Charles C

Mar 10, 2017

I loved this course. I was afraid of proofs and now feel confident in writing my own.

By Ahmed M

Aug 22, 2021

This is a great course!! I highly recommend it for any one interested in mathematics.

By Lucía C

Jun 25, 2020

Excellent Course, great explanations by Keith and fun assignments! I've learnt a lot.

By Kartik B P

Jul 3, 2017

There is a lot of stress on thinking over mechanically doing. Very enjoyable course.

By Azad S

Apr 17, 2017

Great course. I think everyone irrespective of their majors should take this course.

By Kumar K

Nov 18, 2020

Starts slow, but the second half of the course is very instructive. Thank you, Sir!

By Tharindu M

Apr 16, 2020

Excellent course for anyone to improve college level mathematics to the next level.

By Tate R

May 14, 2018

I learned about a lot of symbols, and now I am introduced to mathematical thinking.

By Umad P

Jun 2, 2020

This is a really good course and very structured and the community is really nice!

By Chris V

Jul 16, 2018

Wonderful course for students transitioning into the deeper parts of mathematics.

By Rahul M

May 7, 2018

good course. Can even be an intro to discrete mathematics for computer scientists

By Matthew P

Mar 23, 2017

Great course! I enjoyed the course very much. Learned a lot about writing proofs.

By Khant Z P

Aug 17, 2022

T​his course is so surreal helping around like us just to think outside the box.

By patrice m

Dec 31, 2018

Interesting and easy to follow . But serious work required . Not for the lazy...

By Danilo D L P

May 10, 2017

Very complex, but very interesting. Worthwhile the time and dedication invested.

By Edoardo P

May 13, 2021

I will only say these words: after this course I fell in love with mathematics.

By Subika H

Sep 1, 2019

extremely useful and helpful, actively feeds my curiosity regarding mathematics

By Amashi N

Apr 26, 2019

I am no longer unable to access the course through the app though. Please help!

By JORGE E M L V

Mar 12, 2019

Lo recomiendo mucho ya que aprenderás y desarrollarás el pensamiento matemático

By Miguel O

Jun 25, 2017

I really enjoy the clarity of the explanations. Good material too. Amazing job.