Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

801 - 825 of 3,954 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Fahad B H

Jun 23, 2020

One of the best online courses which helped me to enhance my programming skills and as a mechanical engineer it will allow me to design and simulate different problems.

By Mohamed H Y A

Jan 26, 2019

Honestly, this course is one of the most useful online courses I have ever taken. It is interesting, challenging and the instructor is more than professional. I love it

By Aditya S

Oct 27, 2018

Wonderful course. I am a mechanical engineer myself but I was interested to learn and it served the purpose.

help me a lot to learn about programming and MATLAB as well.

By Assassin C

Dec 17, 2017

The course seemed menacing at the start, but as time progressed it started to keep me interested and active throughout the course and I learned a lot from this course.

By Emrehan K

Oct 20, 2020

It was an amazing experience for me. I have wanted to learn how to use MATLAB for a long time. In this course I've learned how I can use MATLAB. Thanks for everything.

By Shivam S

Sep 14, 2020

This course at the start is very easy but at 6,7 and 9th week gets harder and harder. I would suggest to more ease it up by adding more assignments or videos for help

By Ajinkya C

Jun 17, 2020

This was a very good course, especially for beginners like me. It made me more familiar and more importantly comfortable with various data types and coding as a whole.

By Venkadeshwaran V R

Excellent overview on MATLAB for beginners! Thanks a lot for designing a course like this and conveying it in an entirely enthusiastic approach throughout the journey!

By Sahil R

May 12, 2020

The course is basic and introductory and will definitely enhance your MATLAB programming skills,but ofcourse there is more to MATLAB than this particular course offer.

By Aliliche t

Mar 4, 2020

This course is very good, rich.It has definitely provided me with the necessary skills and confidence to use it in tackling the practical problems in the real world.

By Kapil D

Nov 12, 2018

I have found this course wonderrful. The most amazing part of this course is home work problems. Through these problems set I got idea about my weak and strong points.

By JAKKA C [ 6

Aug 13, 2020

Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick teaching is awesome. This Course helped me to learn basics of programming. I thank prof. Mike Fitzpatrick for offering such a wonderful course.

By MD. T H

Aug 6, 2020

I found it outstanding to learn MATLAB in such a well organized way. Thanks a lot to the Professor and his team for making all these so easy to adopted. Best of luck!

By Furkan B

Mar 11, 2018

Brilliantly explained. The exercise questions are complex and makes you think about a problem inside out. If you have no prior experience this course is just for you.

By Raoni S

Sep 26, 2017

Best course I've ever done online. The mentors always answer the questions we have and all the exercises make us practice all the concepts learned in class. Loved it!

By Yuhua J

Apr 27, 2017

Very good course! The professor have a fine sense of humour, and the knowledge is easy to be absorbed. With the homeworks, my skill on programming is indeed enhanced.

By Ilias A S

Mar 5, 2017

Great course. Great videos that are even fun to watch. Perfect course for anyone who wants to either learn Matlab from scratch or wants to refresh his College basics.

By UJWAL G

Feb 1, 2021

Fabulous course for novel programmers like me. Course content and assignments are great. Particularly the last set of assignments , it challenges you and are tricky.

By MSS M

Aug 16, 2020

This was help to improve my basic Matlab knowledge and using that knowledge I could solve lots of problems. Also this was help to become easy of my degree programme.

By MAHESWARI C

Jul 10, 2020

I learned a lot in this course.It helps me to write program in easy manner by using builtin functions. Thanks a lot to Coursera team for providing this course to us.

By Andrés G

May 23, 2020

Es un curso bastante bueno, brinda las suficientes herramientas para empezar con la programación matricial. Es casi que enteramente práctico, cosa que lo hace ideal.

By Shuting L

Mar 6, 2020

This course covers a lot of basic skills and is very useful! The best part is the exercise! Lastly, the teacher is very humorous and I love his muttering and jokes.

By 지원 김

Aug 31, 2017

I finished this course with ma friends . it was really nice course. quizes and hws are perfect fit to us.

I can use matlab for my study now. very thanks to professors

By Erik C M S

Jun 25, 2016

Really good course!

Had to learn to use MATLAB for an econometrics PhD course, and this course was veryu helpful on getting me started. The e-book is also very good.

By JAVIER A R G

Oct 10, 2020

Just an amazing course. I have learnt a lot of things that have been helpful for my major. Congratulations for the course and thank you very much for your time! (:)