Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

351 - 375 of 3,621 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Jean P C

Apr 15, 2021

The best introduction to programming and problem-solving techniques you can ever have, taking you to the path of scientifically thinking and matrix operations for endless applications. (AI, CFD, FE, simulations and so on). A must have course for coming back engineers to science.

By Koustubh J

Jun 17, 2019

One of the best courses present on Coursera. After completing the course I was able to do programming in MATLAB very easily. The course is very well structured and is very good for beginners. The instructors are amazing whether it be the video lectures or the discussion forums.

By Igor P

Nov 25, 2016

An unorthodox introduction into programming and an excellent introduction into MatLab! The tasks are interesting and some are a challenge even for an experienced programmer (at least for those whose everyday job does not require knowledge about triangular waves or cyclotrons).

By Sami E A

Mar 16, 2017

Really good course. If you complete all the problems by yourself and really push to get 100% in all assignments you will surely gain the skills to program in matlab. I started the course with little to no programming experience with matlab and this course really did it for me.

By Farshad M

May 7, 2020

It was a remarkable experience with a roller coaster of difficulties, disappointments, and successes after hours of thinking about that error one can easily miss. I can not fully express how professor Fitzpatrick is good at teaching. His character is quite unique and amazing.

By Yashendra M

Apr 30, 2020

Great course. Enjoyed it a lot. It's so interesting that I completed it in less than half of the time given. I recommend this course to all those who want to learn MATLAB. Great for beginners. Taught very well by the course instructor. Discussion forum also helped very much.

By Tejas S

Aug 15, 2020

Had a really fun and informative course with the professor Mike Fitzpatrick. His puns in between kept the whole thing alive lol!!

Everyone who wants to understand a bit of coding should take this course as anyone without computer science background like me can grasp it well.

By Learn V

Jul 17, 2020

Excellent introduction to be a programmer in MatLab, I would like to add a comment about the creation of more examples related to each exercises or test in order to increase the skills because each example help to know to test every command. Thank you for this opportunity!

By Naveen K

I had a great learning experience of Matlab in such a nice understanding way. My takeaway from this course is the fundamentals of programming in Matlab. Thought I am good in C/C++, Java and python but having this course let me think programming statements in different way.

By Harshad P

May 15, 2020

Thanks for the delivering this invaluable knowledge in the form of lectures,assignments and readings.It will definitely helpful to me in problem solving through Matlab tools in many application. Hope for support from your side in future to make our relations more fruitful.

By Nikhil P

Apr 15, 2020

For a non programmer like me, this course was far more challenging then I thought. Week 1 to 5 are easier to do. Week 6,7,8,9 are very challenging. Professor Mike has done really well to make such complex coding look simpler.I will revise the concepts as per the occasion.

By PRADUTT A

Jun 5, 2020

The course is very nice. It is packed up with video lectures and challenging problems.what I liked about the course is the problems a student really needs to listen the lectures with concentration to solve problems.this would help you to brush up your knowledge of Matlab.

By Massimo M

Dec 12, 2017

Thank you for this great introduction to Matlab. Lessons are clear and effective. It was a chance for me to revise basic programming by learning a new language. I also had fun solving some homework! I would appreciate it very much if you could add some advanced topics.

By janesh w

Jan 5, 2021

Respected sir, Thank you for all your efforts . I didn't expect this must keep it up . you are one of the best teacher i saw.

suggestions : add more simple one marks questions to learn more about new syntax in matlab that will be helpful to solve the wraps.

By Susmit D G

Jul 7, 2020

This course helps me to improve my MATLAB skill. The instructor teaches this course very well. Moreover, the contents are enriched too. Whoever looking forward to improvising his/her MATLAB skill or getting started with MATLAB, I will recommend him/her to do this course.

By Julián D R A

Jul 27, 2019

Muy buen curso. Se aprende bastante. Al comienzo pensé que no aprendería mucho, dado que inició relativamente fácil, y eso que no tengo mucha experiencia programando. Sin embargo, con el pasar las semanas, se tornó en un desafío muy satisfactorio. Totalmente recomendado.

By Rəşad

Mar 25, 2021

Thanks for this introductory level fantastic course . All explanations are simple, clear-cut and great. And the assignment is not a piece of cake as well which makes you think more deeply and after finding solution you feel more happy .Recommended to all. THANKS AGAIN !

By Kushagra M

Feb 23, 2021

Absolutely magnificent course, learned a lot and had fun ! I would recommend doing the home-work exercises on you own no matter how much time it takes. The hints provided by the Videos in the Resources should be enough. The concepts learned in the course are universal.

By Rubil T R

Jan 25, 2021

Awesome course. I really appreciate the course planning and the assignments are really interesting and engaging. I loved it. I was the one without any basics of MATLAB. Faculty was really good.I know it needs a lot of research to plan a course like this. Truly awesome.

By Richard H

Nov 7, 2020

Excellent course! Really well taught, very clear explanations. Tasks are challenging without being frustrating. I have never coded a thing in my life, and I feel that I have a very flexible and applicable set of skills to take forward into the rest of my masters course

By Chrysanthemum

Jul 15, 2020

It started off relatively easy and became progressively harder and it was adequately challenging and quite interesting particularly the final assignment. I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn a new language and see the applications of Matlab in everyday life.

By ANKUR S

The course is extremely good. Thank you Vanderbilt University for this awsome course. However, I found the assignments a bit more complicated compared to the course materials. There are no hints for the last week assignments. The final 3 assignments are extremely hard.

By naqash a

Feb 20, 2019

Excellent course I extremely enjoyed the course. Just a suggestion to the beginners do not give up it took me really long but I did it finally so you need to be consistent whatever you do.

Thanks to the professor and the whole team for such a great effort.

Regards,

Naqash

By Tsz Y C

Sep 3, 2017

It's very good for beginner like me. The instruction teaches the course step by step which make the course very clear to rookies. Thank you very much for ppl who have involved in making this course! Highly recommended to everyone who want to start learning programming!

By Maia J K

Jun 8, 2020

I would recommend this course for anyone interested in learning more about programming! Having taken a similar course in Java, I still felt challenged and learned new things during each lesson. The professors were very clear and responded to forum inquiries promptly.