Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

376 - 400 of 3,722 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Richard H

Nov 7, 2020

Excellent course! Really well taught, very clear explanations. Tasks are challenging without being frustrating. I have never coded a thing in my life, and I feel that I have a very flexible and applicable set of skills to take forward into the rest of my masters course

By Chrysanthemum

Jul 15, 2020

It started off relatively easy and became progressively harder and it was adequately challenging and quite interesting particularly the final assignment. I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn a new language and see the applications of Matlab in everyday life.

By ANKUR S

The course is extremely good. Thank you Vanderbilt University for this awsome course. However, I found the assignments a bit more complicated compared to the course materials. There are no hints for the last week assignments. The final 3 assignments are extremely hard.

By naqash a

Feb 20, 2019

Excellent course I extremely enjoyed the course. Just a suggestion to the beginners do not give up it took me really long but I did it finally so you need to be consistent whatever you do.

Thanks to the professor and the whole team for such a great effort.

Regards,

Naqash

By Tsz Y C

Sep 3, 2017

It's very good for beginner like me. The instruction teaches the course step by step which make the course very clear to rookies. Thank you very much for ppl who have involved in making this course! Highly recommended to everyone who want to start learning programming!

By Maia J K

Jun 8, 2020

I would recommend this course for anyone interested in learning more about programming! Having taken a similar course in Java, I still felt challenged and learned new things during each lesson. The professors were very clear and responded to forum inquiries promptly.

By B G S

Jul 7, 2020

Very nicely organised course and the tutor was very clear in training us, my sincere thanks to the university and tutor. The online MATLAB tool was very cute. I Thoroughly enjoyed the course. Hope I had more time, so that I could have focused and spent more time.

By Okan A

Aug 9, 2017

I'm on the 7th week and thanks for all your effort. I'm very happy to take this course. And it's really encouraging to see such efforts for teaching people all around the world. The course is very interactive, instructive, clever and covers the most important parts.

By RUDRA P D

Sep 13, 2020

This is an amazing course for beginners. At the end of week 9, the final exercise really spice up things because they are based on the collective use of all the learning which we have gained until now. Thanks to Coursera for introducing me to this wonderful course.

By Engr A A

Jun 18, 2020

The course is very Interactive and interesting. But some video lectures are too long , which is a bit boring .

Divide them in small videos. Overall it is great course .

Thanks a lot , J.Michael Fitzpatrick and Ákos Lédeczi as well as coursera for such a great course

By Sam E D C

I learned so much from this course. For a non-programmer, the lessons are organized very neatly, and all the concepts are well-explained. The skills I learned from this course can definitely extend to other programming languages I would want to learn in the future.

By Kaustubh V W

May 13, 2020

Precise explanation of each and every topic. The many assignments are on real applications, helps you to develop an understanding of how to use programming for real-life applications. Good support from the team in the discussion forums to help us solve the problems

By Dayanand G

Jul 15, 2019

This course have given me a solid base for further excellence in this particular course. I was very impressed with and thankful to our instructor. yet here is many thing to cover in the field of MATLAB but this has provided me a solid head start. Thank you.......

By Arun A J

Aug 14, 2020

I took this course to learn the basics of MATLAB. My knowledge in other programming languages also helped me throughout the course. Also, the tutor Prof. Mike did a perfect job in teaching this course. Now, I'm in a position to code my own with MATLAB. Thank you.

By ROBERT A M

Jun 10, 2020

This was the most enjoyable class I have taken possibly ever. It was impeccably designed, the instruction was brilliant and sometimes goofy. I feel like I learned the basis of a useful skill and am excited to go deeper into MATLAB in the coming months. Thank you!

By kartik s

This is a great course and people who want to learn MATLAB coding with no prior knowledge of coding can benefit a lot. Professor Mike explains everything from small details like accessing various sections of GUI to intermediate level coding with immense patience.

By Hugo B

Apr 15, 2020

Very accessible and the labs are really interesting to begin to practice.

The content (video, presentation...), platform and tools are really awesome thanks to give all this available for everyone.

Thank you for your work to provide us with this really good course.

By Prafful A

May 24, 2019

An Excellent Course to Start and Learn Programming and/or MATLAB.

Especially loved the Sense of Humour of the Professor who presented difficult concepts with Simplicity.

Also, very Responsive Discussion Forums to answer any query which somehow escaped the Lectures.

By Pritam S

Jun 29, 2017

Thanks a lot! Course content of this course is extremely good. I am hearty thankful to Prof. Mike Fitzpatrick and Prof. Akos Ledeczi for their brilliant teaching. I am looking forward for the advanced version of this course such as MATLAB for Numerical Methods.

By Emily F

Oct 6, 2020

This course is fantastic for getting a basic understanding of the fundamentals of MATLAB. The professor is well-spoken and easy to follow. The assignments are challenging yet doable. I recommend this to anyone who is wanting to learn the basics of this software.

By lalit k g

Jun 17, 2020

I WOUID LIKE TO SAY THANKS TO ALL PROFESSORS AND ALL MEMBERS WHO PREPARED THIS COURSE;

SOMETIME STUDENTS MAY REQUIRE BOK WHICH IS REFEREED FOR THIS COURSE BUT IT IS NOT FREE

SO I REQUEST IF IT WOULD BECOME POSSIBLE, PROVIDE IT FREELY ATLEAST FOR THIS COURSE ONLY

By Ritvik R K

Jun 2, 2020

The Course is really good and if you are a beginner I highly recommend this course because the instructor goes through every small aspect and goes through each and every case and scenario. The instructor is amazing and I really enjoyed while gaining a new skill.

By Saad B M

Mar 16, 2020

I'd say, this course was a tough one, but if you pour your heart and soul into this course and of course MATLAB, it would definitely prove to be an excellent experience and will add patience and resolve to your personality, as well as some weight to your resume.

By Daniele L

Mar 2, 2020

I found this course very well made. Before attending this course I was able only to program in C and I always found Matlab a powerful but also vast program language, this course allowed me to understand all that details that I would hane not understood by myself

By Shubham M D

Jun 11, 2020

The course structure was very well designed so that a person with bare knowledge of Matlab (like me) could understand the programming fundamentals. I would like to express my gratitude to the instructor Mr. Mike Fitzpatrick for wonderful flow of lecture series.