Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

Jan 20, 2022

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

IK

Dec 19, 2021

Basics concepts are well covered within a short time and a few videos. I would recommend it for those who want to learn complete basics. but to master it, you need to enrol in a specialization course.

376 - 400 of 4,176 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Shubham K

A really good course especially for the beginners, who are planning to start programming with MATLAB. Detailed explanations and well-designed programming assignments covering the basics of MATLAB and providing room for logic development, which is the base for any kind of programming.

By DEVANSH S

Nov 12, 2018

The course "Introduction to Programming with MATLAB" helped me in improving my skills and knowledge of the basics of coding and provided an exposure to the world of programming. During this course I learnt various important things which will surely help me in the professional world.

By Syed W A

Oct 27, 2018

This course was a fun and excellent introduction to fundamental concepts of computer programming. For people who have no idea whatsoever about programming, this is the place to start. Even if you are a novice programmer, take this course to become more familiar with MATLAB language.

By MD S R

Apr 15, 2020

Excellent course to start programming with MATLAB. It was a very involving course! Everything is taught by doing it practically, and the professor has done an excellent job. Assignments are really good and make you adept in what you learn the whole week. I enjoyed every bit of it!

By Ashu S

Mar 1, 2020

The course is really informative and amazing. One can learn so much from this course. Though after a point of time, course will gather up a pace therefore one needs to explore many things by themselves too. But in the end, you'll love the content and the professor, not to mention.

By Sylvia A

Jul 12, 2019

Great course and a good one for anyone with little or no background in MATLAB. I started as a beginner with no background in MATLAB and with the help of the lecture videos I was able to do all the assignments (got 100% in all except 90% for the objectives) and complete the course.

By Wilmer M

Jul 22, 2020

An extraordinary opportunity to learn, to have discipline and dedication, and to enter the great world of programming, especially with MatLab which is a wonderful and fundamental tool for many professionals, thank you very much for the teaching given, I will be grateful for life.

By Jinghan M

Apr 5, 2020

This course really helped me learn MATLAB such a challenging programming tool from the very beginning, and tried to use it to solve more problems in my daily work and study. Thanks to the instructor's patient and explicit courses, I started to interested in practical programming.

By Jean P C

Apr 15, 2021

The best introduction to programming and problem-solving techniques you can ever have, taking you to the path of scientifically thinking and matrix operations for endless applications. (AI, CFD, FE, simulations and so on). A must have course for coming back engineers to science.

By Koustubh J

Jun 17, 2019

One of the best courses present on Coursera. After completing the course I was able to do programming in MATLAB very easily. The course is very well structured and is very good for beginners. The instructors are amazing whether it be the video lectures or the discussion forums.

By Igor P

Nov 25, 2016

An unorthodox introduction into programming and an excellent introduction into MatLab! The tasks are interesting and some are a challenge even for an experienced programmer (at least for those whose everyday job does not require knowledge about triangular waves or cyclotrons).

By Sami E A

Mar 16, 2017

Really good course. If you complete all the problems by yourself and really push to get 100% in all assignments you will surely gain the skills to program in matlab. I started the course with little to no programming experience with matlab and this course really did it for me.

By Farshad M

May 7, 2020

It was a remarkable experience with a roller coaster of difficulties, disappointments, and successes after hours of thinking about that error one can easily miss. I can not fully express how professor Fitzpatrick is good at teaching. His character is quite unique and amazing.

By Yashendra M

Apr 30, 2020

Great course. Enjoyed it a lot. It's so interesting that I completed it in less than half of the time given. I recommend this course to all those who want to learn MATLAB. Great for beginners. Taught very well by the course instructor. Discussion forum also helped very much.

By Tejas S

Aug 15, 2020

Had a really fun and informative course with the professor Mike Fitzpatrick. His puns in between kept the whole thing alive lol!!

Everyone who wants to understand a bit of coding should take this course as anyone without computer science background like me can grasp it well.

By Learn V

Jul 17, 2020

Excellent introduction to be a programmer in MatLab, I would like to add a comment about the creation of more examples related to each exercises or test in order to increase the skills because each example help to know to test every command. Thank you for this opportunity!

By Naveen K

I had a great learning experience of Matlab in such a nice understanding way. My takeaway from this course is the fundamentals of programming in Matlab. Thought I am good in C/C++, Java and python but having this course let me think programming statements in different way.

By Harshad P

May 15, 2020

Thanks for the delivering this invaluable knowledge in the form of lectures,assignments and readings.It will definitely helpful to me in problem solving through Matlab tools in many application. Hope for support from your side in future to make our relations more fruitful.

Apr 15, 2020

For a non programmer like me, this course was far more challenging then I thought. Week 1 to 5 are easier to do. Week 6,7,8,9 are very challenging. Professor Mike has done really well to make such complex coding look simpler.I will revise the concepts as per the occasion.

By Geetha K

Jul 19, 2021

T​he course was intense and fun. The learning was much better than how it would have been with any other MATLAB course. The assignments were rigorous and truly tested the things learnt and made the learner apply it.

T​his is the best MATLAB course I have ever come across.

By PRADUTT A

Jun 5, 2020

The course is very nice. It is packed up with video lectures and challenging problems.what I liked about the course is the problems a student really needs to listen the lectures with concentration to solve problems.this would help you to brush up your knowledge of Matlab.

By Massimo M

Dec 12, 2017

Thank you for this great introduction to Matlab. Lessons are clear and effective. It was a chance for me to revise basic programming by learning a new language. I also had fun solving some homework! I would appreciate it very much if you could add some advanced topics.

By Margiorie R D R

Nov 9, 2021

Amazing course! The teacher who explains in the videos is concise and dialectical. He made my interest in programming grow and I had a lot of fun learning to code with him (virtually). Greetings to the teacher and thank you very much for all the valuable advice from him!

By janesh w

Jan 5, 2021

Respected sir, Thank you for all your efforts . I didn't expect this must keep it up . you are one of the best teacher i saw.

suggestions : add more simple one marks questions to learn more about new syntax in matlab that will be helpful to solve the wraps.

By Susmit D G

Jul 7, 2020

This course helps me to improve my MATLAB skill. The instructor teaches this course very well. Moreover, the contents are enriched too. Whoever looking forward to improvising his/her MATLAB skill or getting started with MATLAB, I will recommend him/her to do this course.