Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

KB
Jun 23, 2020

I would like to thank vanderbilt university for providing such a wonderful course and i am much impressed by the use of the basic matrices in each and every programming purpose.thank you again!!!!:)))

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

451 - 475 of 3,724 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Sourabh K

Jun 28, 2020

If you want to learn how to programme using Matlab, this course is where u want to start. Amazing faculty (mainly Mike Fitzpatrick - the instructor) and clearest and easiest possible explanations to the fundamentals of programming with Matlab.

By Dhananjay Y M

Jun 1, 2020

I don't know how to start , this is one of the finest course I have been through so far . The tutor in the video lectures has this quality of keeping you engaged even if for long hours. The course is really meant for anyone who wants to learn.

By NAZMUS S N

May 5, 2020

As-Salamu-Alykum. It is a very well designed and highly effective course for MATLAB Beginners.

The Instructors and teaching staffs are very helpful . Thanks COURSERA,Professors and all others staffs for offering us such a good course on MATLAB.

By Sadok K

Mar 19, 2020

it was really an interresting course thank you a lot.. but I think the assignments of the last week were a bit hard since we didn't study how to deal with image and sound files . but I'm going to rate it 5 stars and i think it deserves more !!

By Akshat A

May 9, 2018

Best basics course ever. Assignments were challenging. Humorous Professor. What more could you ask ! Such a syntactical learning made so much fun just because of the Professor Mike Fitzpatrick. Thank You, its my 1st 5 star rating for a course.

By Danilo G J

Jul 13, 2020

The assignments and exercises are definitely challenging but are worth it. I really had to consult to some friends or see other references available online, but I guess being resourceful i one of the many good traits a programmer should have.

By Abir B

Jun 18, 2017

I enjoyed the course lectures. Although the last week course content was not that interesting but the professor made it quiet entertaining. Thank you for making such a course available for us beginners. i hope I can use the knowledge gained.

By Isa R

Aug 22, 2020

This course helped a lot to learn the basics of MATLAB programming; Understanding its usage capabilities, learning its syntax and completing various problems, aided my programming skills. I also liked the witty remark of the instructor a lot

By Dorian L

Jun 29, 2020

Very complete and pleasant introduction lecture to programming. Everything is super clear, well explained, and entertaining to follow. Exercises are a real plus to properly learn the knowledge dispensed in the videos. It was a great journey!

By Francisco J G Q

Jun 5, 2020

I had a brief introduction to programming during high school, but I felt this course course really gave me useful skills for the future. I want to thank Mike for his charisma and ability to teach as well as everyone who designed the course.

By Mutmainnah M

Professor Michael Fitzpatrick have a great way of teaching. I love it very much, sometimes he slips some funny jokes so i am not bored. I learned a lot about basic Matlab programming, and its free! Thank you very much Varderbilt University!

By Pillai A M

Jun 23, 2020

Thankyou for providing this course.Very grateful to Mike fitzpatrick, Akos ledeczi and Robert Tairus for making the course very simple to understand and challenging assignments.I am confident that i can attempt and do stuffs on matlab now.

By Mark B

Apr 4, 2020

This is a very well done course. The course material and dialogue is understandable and entertaining enough to keep you awake. It is the best on-line course that I have had to date. The responses to forum questions are timely and accurate.

By Kapil V

Jul 17, 2020

Excellent Course!

The instructor of the Course is one of the best teachers that I have ever seen.

This course is designed properly. I enjoyed all the assignments.

If you want to learn Programming with MATLAB then you mush take this course.

By Hari O P

Jun 11, 2020

One of the finest course which I have taken. Pedagogy of Mike Fitzpatrick and active useful reply of Brandon Armstrong is appreciable. It's an enjoyable learning journey. Thanks, the whole team and Coursera for providing this opportunity.

By Diganta M

Apr 30, 2020

Though the course is so long but at this pandemic situation i took me about 1 month to finish this.Thanks prof. Mike Fitzpatrick for his excellent teaching.Those who are beginner to the programming,can take this course without any doubt.

By Ankit C

Jun 26, 2019

This course was very informative and felt like a real classroom course. This was the first MOOC where I felt an emotional attachment with the teacher. Thank you Mike Fitzpatrick Sir and all other teaching staff creating such great course.

By Aditya P

Nov 3, 2020

This was a well orchestrated course, learnt the basics of both programming and MATLAB. It introduced the logical thinking behind a good program. The assignments were well made, some were tricky to solve. Overall had a great time doing it

By Arun m

Very good course by vanderbilt university. I love the way it has been thought by the instructor, Thank you sir for imbibing me with the knowledge in such a good manner.Hope it will be useful for me as a mechanical engineer in the future.

By Mostafa H K

It was a great course for me, I explored many programming courses before. But the lecturer managed to get my attention for a long time. The way Mr Mike illustrated the knowledge was great. I recommended this course to several colleagues.

By SIVABALASUDHAN K

May 2, 2020

Thank you very much for providing this wonderful course to me.Before stepped into this course ,I have a little shivering about programming int computer,but once I completed this course I have possessed more confidence to do programming.

By PREMNATH V

Aug 19, 2018

Really an excellent course. I started with zero knowledge about MATLAB and ended up quite more confident to work in MATLAB . Especially staff and discussion forum really helped me. If you are reading this then you will try this course.

By Yerkin S

Nov 16, 2020

Waw, It is very interesting course for me. I have not engaged by programming before. Therefore this course helps understand basic notion about programming in matlab. I am chemical engineer. I believe this course helps to improve my job.

By Rahul S

Jul 5, 2020

The course is very well defined and show an easy path to learn computer programming even to those who don't have a prior knowledge of computer programming (i.e. Me). The video lectures are also shows a step by step approach. Thank you.

By Desirée O B

Jun 21, 2020

Un curso muy completo, las clases son muy claras y muy comprensibles. Los ejercicios aplicados de cada lección son muy útiles para ver si has comprendido o no el tema en cuestión. Además, resuelven las dudas en el foro bastante rápido.