Back to Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB by Vanderbilt University

This course teaches computer programming to those with little to no previous experience. It uses the programming system and language called MATLAB to do so because it is easy to learn, versatile and very useful for engineers and other professionals. MATLAB is a special-purpose language that is an excellent choice for writing moderate-size programs that solve problems involving the manipulation of numbers. The design of the language makes it possible to write a powerful program in a few lines. The problems may be relatively complex, while the MATLAB programs that solve them are relatively simple: relative, that is, to the equivalent program written in a general-purpose language, such as C++ or Java. As a result, MATLAB is being used in a wide variety of domains from the natural sciences, through all disciplines of engineering, to finance, and beyond, and it is heavily used in industry. Hence, a solid background in MATLAB is an indispensable skill in today’s job market. Nevertheless, this course is not a MATLAB tutorial. It is an introductory programming course that uses MATLAB to illustrate general concepts in computer science and programming. Students who successfully complete this course will become familiar with general concepts in computer science, gain an understanding of the general concepts of programming, and obtain a solid foundation in the use of MATLAB. Students taking the course will get a MATLAB Online license free of charge for the duration of the course. The students are encouraged to consult the eBook that this course is based on. More information about these resources can be found on the Resources menu on the right....

IK
Dec 19, 2021

Basics concepts are well covered within a short time and a few videos. I would recommend it for those who want to learn complete basics. but to master it, you need to enrol in a specialization course.

DA
Jun 5, 2020

Instructor of this course Mike Fitzpatrick is a very good teacher who encourage students to do something new and interesting.\n\nI really enjoyed learning this course and learned new skills in MATLAB.

601 - 625 of 4,048 Reviews for Introduction to Programming with MATLAB

By Dipanjan A

Apr 28, 2020

Excellent course. Professor Fitzpatrick is a wonderful teacher. I had previous experience with Matlab and took this course to refresh my memory, It was a mixture of fun and challenge. I really enjoyed this course

By Teresa R R

Apr 3, 2021

The instructor is really good and funny, and the assignment are challenging but useful. I do recommend paying the full version to have access to the assignments; it's worth it. I very much recommend this course.

By Dick K

Oct 3, 2020

A great (re)introduction to MATLAB! Would be helpful if the assignments could give you more helpful feedback in some of the later assignments, but google searching errors can be helpful. Just takes a lot longer.

By abhijit b

Jun 27, 2020

Taught is very simple manner so that even person with non programming background can start coding with matlab. Prof. Mike was exceptional in teaching every concept. I will surely recommend to go for this course.

By Nidhi R

Apr 20, 2020

As a beginner this course is absolutely right choice to be picked up . All the topics are explained in very easy manner . Really, Coursera is the great platform for students to explore many more amazing things.

By Drumil P

Jan 28, 2017

Awesome for beginners . Improve your programming skills as well as analytic thinking towards problem. Solutions comparison is the best way to see how much still you can improve your code. I'll recommend it 100%.

By Cristian M O

Sep 11, 2020

I'm satisfied with this course. The instructor is quite clear and has a great sense of humor. Exercises are a little bit difficult, but for that reason, I feel really confident to face big programming problems.

By S V

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course for MATLAB beginners. A comprehensive collection of content, with easy and fantastic explanation. With self-paced learning, this is one of the best, if not the best course on MATLAB guaranteed,

By BRIONES, N A (

Jul 12, 2020

The instructor was great and easy to understand. I love both the lecture and how the instructor, Mr. Fitzpatrick, relate each end of the lesson to real life situations. It was a great and well-organized course.

By Varsha L

Jul 12, 2020

I have never finished a course like this before, and I can't explain how fabulous the instructor was and the quality of the curriculum as a whole. I 'd suggest this to my colleagues and friends, too. Thank you.

By dave t

May 5, 2020

being able to finish this class in less than a month was really amazing, I was not familiar with MATLAB coding but now I believe that I am capable of understanding MATLAB codes and writing some codes if needed.

By Vincenzo L

Feb 20, 2020

excellent course , excellent teacher. Mark Fitzpatrick was very clear and capable to keep the attention af the students at high level all the time. The tests were interesting and well balanced with the lessons.

By Mariya E

May 21, 2018

Сложные, но интересные задания. Очень понятные лекции. Огромное количество примеров. Курс позволяет сделать первые шаги в программировании даже тем, кто раньше считал, что программирование уж точно не для него.

By Mukta S P

Mar 2, 2018

This course was the first course to learn the programming languages, and I am extremely pleased with my progress. The instructor and his teaching methods are delightful. Easy to understand and yet challenging.

By Navien T

Oct 2, 2016

Very well structured and extremely clear videos and also helpful staff and mentors to our questions. Assignments were very diverse and challenges us to fully understand the concept and functions of the program.

By Kamala D

Jan 9, 2022

It is the best MATLAB course for sure. One can learn a lot of things even though you have some MATLAB knowledge beforehand. Great explanation, great problems and great design!Thank you for providing it for us!

By Vinh Đ Q

Jun 4, 2021

This is one of the best MATLAB courses so far. After this course, you will get the fundamental concepts of programming with MATLAB. With that knowledge, you can confidently use MATLAB for your specialization.

By Ankith S

Feb 16, 2020

I would recommend this to everyone who wants to learn Matlab irrespective of their prior knowledge about the language. It helped a coding novice like me to write code specifically suited for my data analysis.

By Beata G

Aug 17, 2016

Brilliant introductory course with very well prepared exercises. The automated testing file was of immense help. Managed to get the knowledge into place, which makes my future PhD work with matlab much easier

By Raktim R F

Aug 22, 2020

Had a great experience under the instructions of Mike Fitzpatrick sir.

A big thanks to him and the whole family of the course organizers.

Hope this course would be really handy for my academic and job fields.

By SRINJOY B

This coarse helped me to jump start my career towards MATLAB programming. This coarse covers all the required basics of MATLAB and the included assignments really test your skills and understanding of MATLAB

By Vinz Y W C

May 8, 2020

This programming is solid and insightful. I am able to get a considerable result even there is no any relevant knowledge regarded to programming for me previously. Much more appreciated for the program team.

By Rahul S

Jul 18, 2020

Thank you for providing such a wonderful platform for learning. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate the fact that you guys are not only helping us by teaching but also helping through forums created.

By Biprav C

Jun 17, 2020

It is a great course to learn about programming with MATLAB. The instructor presented and explained all the concepts in a very understandable and easy way. Highly recommended course for beginners in MATLAB.

By Dhruvin P

Dec 14, 2019

I really love this course. My major is not related to coding. so, I didn't know anything about MATLAB. But, now I can write simple codes and after little more practice, I think I can be very good in coding.