Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT
Jan 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB
Feb 8, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

76 - 100 of 418 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

By Stephen M M

Jan 6, 2018

This course is very helpful in analyzing the world of media today. As a youth, this course is very useful and it allowed me to have some critical thinking skills. *Thumbs Up*

By Yanling M

Jul 25, 2021

I'm grateful to this course which provided me with essential knowledge related with media and at the same time thankful to the staff from Coursera who are all eager to help!

By OUALID I

May 4, 2019

great cours,i feel like that my eyes were closed but now i have the attention for media,i can analyse ads and ask questions that could help me avoid bias.thank you very much

By Danial S

Mar 7, 2020

I enjoyed learning about Media literacy... It was an excellent course! I liked it very much! I would highly recommend to apply! You will enrich your knowledge tremendously!

By Abdullah m

Oct 17, 2017

Very useful course , thanks for the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs and University of Pennsylvania.

By Ranjeet K

Nov 20, 2020

Very nice course it gives knowledge about how media work with diffrent medium and it is a great course thanks to coursera to give me a great opportunity to take knowledge

By George M

May 14, 2021

It is a very challenge course that provides us the tools to improve our knoowledges and the Media Literacy acquatances we need to go ahead on the commucation roads.

By Aravind u

May 23, 2020

This course is absolutely useful for a lot of people having keen interest for learning , the classes are impeccable and i think its privilege to learn under this.

By IVY O G

Jan 23, 2019

I love the course and it helps me a lot in understanding about media and it also enhances my knowledge in english. 😃 Thank you for this kind of opportunity😃👍

By Adelina M

May 8, 2017

This course was really interesting! I learned a lot about media literacy. Now I know what the role of media in our life, and how it influences people decisions.

By Iryna P

May 8, 2020

Very helpful and interesting course! Good teachers and interesting material. Every detail was described and written. I'm very glad to take part in this course!

By José F C G

Nov 18, 2017

It is a truly user-friendly course where you can learn how to change your perspectives on how the media environment affects us these days. I fully recommend it

By Nida S

Apr 7, 2020

This course is nice and slow-paced. Very interesting to know more about media bias. I love how they give very clear examples to make learners understand best.

By Hazel I P

Nov 21, 2017

I had fun in learning this course and I have met new friends thru MOOC Camp! I look forward to more coursera courses fitted for my job as an English teacher.

By Long T

Apr 20, 2017

English for Media Literacy is very useful and great. I will apply Media Literacy on my work and life daily.

This is a wonderful course ! Thank you very much.

By María R A G

Apr 12, 2017

I've just done the first Unit so far but I feel it's very well structured, easy to follow and understand and it helps both with English and Media Literacy!

By Karin W

Apr 17, 2020

Great content, especially for non-native English speakers. Since English is my native language I did not complete course. The discussion on media excels.

By 桂華 謝

Nov 16, 2017

This is great class, is really easy to understand all the contents, and students are international, you can see different of view from other countries.

By Teresa A

Jun 20, 2020

This things I learned from this course will be very helpful when I teach Media Literacy. Thank you, Coursera, for this opportunity! More power to you!

By NyaNko

Mar 30, 2020

Very Educational and so lot of funny things happened with my brothers and this course very educational and i learned so lot of things from this course

By Ophillie S

Dec 25, 2017

I have learned to more analytical with regards to media information. The course has also helped me to develop new critical approaches to teaching.

By Marsha B

Apr 16, 2017

I definitely enjoyed this course. It challenged me to really think about how the media affects my life. Thank you lecturers. Thank you Coursera.

By Айгуль Б

Apr 29, 2020

This course was so interesting. sometimes I could not do tasks, thanks for gave me do again. I will recommend this course for my friends

By Sassa

Oct 6, 2020

Thank you so much, Coursera and the University of Pennsylvania for this opportunity. I have learned a lot of things with this online course.