Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT
Jan 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB
Feb 8, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

326 - 350 of 385 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

May 23, 2020

nice

By Munkhjargal

May 2, 2020

good

By 전소윤

Mar 12, 2019

good

By Олег Н

Dec 12, 2018

Mar 6, 2018

best

By awaz b s

Nov 23, 2017

good

By Nam T

Jun 13, 2017

Mar 6, 2017

a

By Nguyễn T

Jan 31, 2018

I like how they put the lessons into small chunk of videos, which makes it easy to approach maintains my attention. But I'd like the quizzes to be a little bit more challenging and the videos go a bit more deeply into the problems. Sometimes, I feel like it is easy to complete the course so students might not have to try so hard. Personally, I think achievement gained through hard work is the most rewarding and interesting. Thank you for giving us this course. I did enjoy the new knowledge!

By Sipas C

May 7, 2017

This is the first I completed an online course. Thank you so much for your supporting and your opportunity created for us. I really impress by games or some supplemental reading in this course because it gives me a chance to understand more about media and practise English skill. Sometimes, because of my limited English, I can not contribute many contructive comments to dicussion group. So, i hope that I will try more in another course. Thank you.

By Zhanna B

May 25, 2018

This course is very useful for me. The course allowed me to improve media literacy and English skills. Due to this course, I learned a lot about the features of the presentation of information by traditional and social media. I especially want to note the qualitative lessons of grammar. Many thanks to the teachers of the courses for the admirable multimedia lessons. Best wishes!

By Frachel

Sep 12, 2020

Great course! Very informative. If anything, in my view it could have been updated, especially taking into account that the course expands on new technologies. It sounds a bit award to read or listen to videos talking about "the upcoming elections in 2016", or "the word limit for a tweet is 140 characters".