Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT
Jan 26, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB
Feb 8, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

376 - 382 of 382 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

By Trang P

May 7, 2017

A helpful course with basic knowledge about media. For those who wants to improve both media literacy and their English skills, this course is what I would suggest you.

By Nedyu Y

Jun 1, 2019

A bit simplistic without a clear scope and target audience.

Nov 22, 2017

good

By Krishanu S

Mar 19, 2018

I wish there was more to it. This course could be improved in so many different ways!

By Michelle L H

Dec 2, 2019

I am so dissapointed. Two times I submitted the video assignations that they requested, and two times they were not reviewed by instructors (the first time it was reviewed only by peers). On top of it, today, I open coursera to try to finish the course, and a sign appears saying "this course has ended".

It was not my fault that I missed the second deadline (since my last assignment was ready aproximately a week ago) and it was not my fault that I missed the first deadline either (they didn't let me advance until my peers reviewed my video). I was left with nothing to do for several days, each time I submitted a video assignment.

The worst part is that I enrolled paying for it, because I am interested in getting the certificate. I'm left without the certificate, and without the money that I payed.

By Carlianne S M C

Feb 10, 2019

My week 3 and 4 was finished and all the tasks have a check mark but the overview of the course shows that im not yet done it confuses me

By Kathryn C