Back to English for Media Literacy

Learner Reviews & Feedback for English for Media Literacy by University of Pennsylvania

Welcome to English for Media Literacy, a course created by the University of Pennsylvania, and funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Office of English Language Programs. To enroll in this course for free, click on “Enroll now” and then select "Full Course. No certificate." This course is designed for non-native English speakers who are interested in learning more about U.S. media literacy. In this course, you will explore different types of mass media, such as newspapers, magazines, television, and social media. This course will also give you the opportunity to develop a broader understanding of the role media plays in our lives, while building your vocabulary and giving you the language skills needed to analyze what you read and watch. The first unit in this course will provide an introduction to media literacy and give you an opportunity to evaluate your own media literacy level. In unit 2, you will learn how to identify facts versus opinions in the media. The next unit in the course will focus on the differences between social media and traditional media, while unit 4 will look at how gender and identity are covered in the media. In the final unit of the course, you will demonstrate your increased media literacy by through a culminating final project on social media. Development of this course was funded by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs Office of English Language Programs. Unless otherwise noted, all course materials are available for re-use, repurposing and free distribution under a Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution license....

DT

Jan 27, 2019

I learned a lot from this online course especially the skills in media literacy. Thank you very much University of Pennsylvania. God bless to all staff and the people behind this program. More power!

LB

Feb 09, 2019

This course helps people to b knowledgeable in a very accessible way. Through Coursra you can study even in different places. Also you will get a Certificate that will be valubale to every learner.

126 - 150 of 373 Reviews for English for Media Literacy

By Ann R L C

Oct 16, 2017

I found this course helpful as it provides me new knowledge that I can also share to my students.

By AUNG K

I love and interest in this English for Media Literacy Course. Thanks for your online teaching!

By Janne P O

Feb 12, 2019

I enjoyed this course, it's fun to answer the assessments, since it make you think critically.

By Jolina M B

Sep 11, 2019

It is so helpful for everyone. I highly recommended taking this course! I have learned a lot.

By SAURABH G

Mar 30, 2017

This course will help you a lot while analyzing media content in this information-driven age.

By Yuliya U

Apr 29, 2020

The course is very interesting and useful! Thank you for the opportunity of learning it!!!

By SORO Y D J

Feb 03, 2019

This course is very well designed. Simple to follow with a variety of practical exercises.

By Olha F

May 10, 2018

Great course. I'd like to recommend everyone who wants improve their knowledge and skills!

By Ma. C M G

Dec 02, 2017

I have learned a lot of things about media literacy through its various reading materials.

By 玉樺 徐

Nov 16, 2017

Thanks for offering the opportunity to learn about Media Literacy. It is a great course.

By Dapheen S L

Nov 17, 2017

I enjoyed watching all the videos. They are very informative and easy to understand.

By Danilauri

May 05, 2017

Very good course. Excellent instructors and plenty of material. I learnt a lot. 😉😉

By Muthanna J

Dec 08, 2017

I am So proud to participate in this course ...thank you very much

Final Grad 95.1%

By Maria R S

Aug 22, 2019

relevant an useful for teachers and students

interesting and up to date information

By Raqel S D

Jan 07, 2018

Excellent !!! Dynamic....!!!! very helpful....thank u very much Coursera Community

By Jasmine O

Feb 01, 2019

It makes us more keen when reading and writing articles/news! Thank you Coursera!

By Merboy V P

Jan 08, 2019

The course helped me to become media literate. Thank you so much and more power!

By Luu T L H

Nov 25, 2017

I found this course is very useful, practical and it helps me a lot in my life.

By TATENDA B M

Jun 08, 2017

its a good course quite educative and important in this era of vast technology

By Fesenko E S

May 06, 2017

Great, interesting, a lot of usefull information, thanks for this opportunity!

By Shkurupiy O Y

Apr 08, 2020

Very interesting and useful information for selfeducation and selfdevelopment

By Elmer H

Nov 19, 2017

I love it! This is one of my meaningful lessons in my social media journey.

By Luz M S B

Excelente curso, aprendes sobre los medios de comunicación y la literacidad.

By Mary N C C P

May 16, 2020

I have learned so much from this course! It's simple, fun, and creative! :)

By Alina B A

Feb 17, 2020

I especially liked interactive assignments and peer review assignments