Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

MG
Jan 14, 2021

This course was a great opportunity for me to understand the world of neurology and helped me to clear all the ambiguities regarding the complex mechanisms that are happening in our beautiful brains.

KT
Nov 21, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

176 - 200 of 657 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Roberto L

Feb 14, 2021

Many thanks to Professor Leonard White and his team at Duke.

His passion for this area reveals in this course and was an inspiration for me to continue.

He and the team can bring closer neuroscience for everyone. This a true merit and something that makes them great.

By Simonov O

Apr 2, 2017

An interesting and wonderful course, which gives a deep knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the nervous system, and also reveals the mechanisms of different pathologies. It will be useful to both students and doctors. Thank you, Dr. White! You are the best!

By Claudio E C

Mar 20, 2021

Realmente es un curso maravilloso, atrapante y demandante no fue ni es sencillo , pero enriquecedor en el conocimiento de la Neurociencia .Realmente agradecido por el conocimiento recibido a traves de las clases del Dr White; un Profesor con todas las letras.

By Ishaan S

Jul 27, 2020

Being a medical student, this course was an adventure! Dr. White is great at what he is doing so if you want to learn medical neuroscience and how brain works (Which is nothing short of magic) Then you truly need to go through this course under his guidance!!!

By Kesha M

Oct 15, 2016

I am surgical resident from India very much interested in pursuing a course in Neurosurgery. This course has set the ground for my preparation. Dr.White is just amazing in explaining complex neurological concepts in a easily understandable way. Thank you !!!

By Li Q

Aug 5, 2021

This is the best course that I have ever taken. Professor White gave a wonderful presentation in every class. Also, whole course are designed based on logistic path, which makes this course understandable and accessible for everyone! Highly Recommended!

By Adriana C L

Nov 9, 2019

Best online course I have ever taken (and it´s been quite a long list of them). Professor White made it all clear, easy to understand and quite a joy to study. Thanks for all the hard work behind this course. It was hard work but it was all worth it.

By Dietlinde S

Jan 8, 2021

An immense amount of in depth, fascinating material presented in an engaging, challenging manner. Dr White clearly loves his area of expertise and teaches with enthusiasm for his subject matter and respect for his students. An amazing opportunity.

By Khadim H C

Jul 4, 2018

An out class course from Duke University Medical School. Prof Leunord White Is a well known authority on Neuroscience. Through his extensive research on Brain and Spinal cord anatomy he and his colleagues have prepared a lovely course for coursera.

By Кирилл С

Jun 13, 2017

This course is outstanding! A lot of complicated things are very accessibly explained. Regular links between anatomy and physiology really help not to get lost in brain complexity. I feel much more competent after listening to the lectures.

Thanks!

By Ali M

Aug 6, 2019

I love this course. This course changes my mind regarding with Brain. Yes, this course will help me in my Research field. Thank you Dr. White and Course era to provide such a wonderful platform. Hope to complete this course as soon as possible :)

By SV

Dec 26, 2017

One of the best neuroscience courses out there. The professor is a gem and has put so much effort into the course. A massive amount of information that will serve me well beyond the length of Coursera. Thank you so much for this quality course.

By Ivan S

Jul 15, 2016

I have no words for assessment the course. Thanks for all you've done for all of us. Doctor White is the best teacher I've ever seen in my whole life. There is an enormous amount of polite feelings during performing the tasks, Sincerely Ivan ;)

By Dr A J

Sep 26, 2021

A wonderful glimpse into the world of Neurology.

Comprehensive and insightful course by Dr. White, truly informative and enjoyable, a completely approachable and helpful team, and special thanks to Ms. Ellen Vos for answering related queries.

By Alisa P

Oct 17, 2016

Structural, broad, extremely interesting and so much helpful in CNS work understanding. Thank you very much for the knowledge and inspiration.

By the way, some of the universities already recognise this course as big plus for Msc application.

By Michael H

Nov 8, 2020

An absolutely brilliant and in-depth course. I'm a psychology student and whilst a lot of this course goes into a level of depth that I will not need at this stage, I've thoroughly enjoyed having that medical component. Highly recommended.

By Nicolas H

Sep 19, 2020

One of the best academic experiences I have ever had. It was really challenging at times, but very rewarding at the same time as you look back at your progress. I would definitely give it a try if you are interested in the brain sciences.

By Sofia I M S

Aug 11, 2016

Great course! The tutorials are very complete and the lengthy explanations allow anyone without previous knowledge of neuroscience to join the course. There are also many opportunities and ways to interact with fellow students. Thank you!

By Kseniya K

Apr 25, 2021

Thank you so much for this amazing course!! In this course I have found a lot of useful information, interesting topics and active forums for all your questions and creativity. Thank tou Duke University and Professor Leonard E. White!

By Noor B

Aug 29, 2016

The very value able efforts made by Professor White in Medical neurosciences, it is quite, sufficient materials for learners of medical graduates. I found this course a big challenge. Thanks To Professor Len White and the whole team.

By Ricardo R

Jan 28, 2017

Dr. White's classes are concise and very, very enjoyable. The syllabus is very complete and the overall course structure is excellent. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to know the inner workings of the human brain.

By Nielsen B E

May 22, 2020

Excellent course. The contents are explained in a clear and comprehensible way by Dr. White, who was a great instructor. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone deeply interested in the fascinating field of Neuroscience!

By Ayman T

Aug 3, 2017

This is an outstanding course and Prof. White is a great teacher and his enthusiasm and passion for neuroscience and educating others is readily apparent. I would not hesitate to sign up to any other courses developed by this team.

By Kathryn N

Jul 19, 2020

This course was truly an amazing learning experience! The material was challenging, but as delivered by Professor White was an equally rewarding and understandable curriculum. Thank you for this experience in Medical Neuroscience!

By Kodagoda T N H

Oct 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Pro.White and his team for their honest dedication to complete this medical neuroscience program. This was a great chance for me to brush up on my knowledge and it became a new path for me to change my studies.