Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

251 - 275 of 520 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Obada S

May 23, 2020

Great course and great instructor, Dr. White! One of the most fascinating learning experiences that I've ever had.

By Ivan M M

Nov 15, 2017

Amazing from the very beginning to the last day, Thanks Dr Leonard White for taking us to this incredible journey

By José J G N

Sep 06, 2016

Hasta el momento ( estoy desarrollando la segunda semana), me parece un curso fantástico y un profesor excelente.

By Muhammad H

Nov 05, 2017

Really rigid structure. Challenging, yet fun! Prof. White and team really put the effort in making this course.

By KEVIN R P

Jun 06, 2016

Best course ever! it's worth the work for everything you gain, particularily those in all areas of health care..

By Anna

Aug 04, 2020

AMAZING! it was the happiest time in my educational life! It was not easy, but it was a wonderful jorney!!!!

By Cia v W

May 13, 2020

Great course; excellent content; great teacher. Lots of repetition and enough time to digest new concepts.

By Maria P

Jul 25, 2020

one of the best courses on the neuroscince! Thanks a lot, that was extremelly infomative and fascinating!

By Adam M

Nov 04, 2017

This course was amazing. Dr White clearly has a passion for neuroscience and teaching. Highly recommend.

By Matthias S

Jun 12, 2017

True to his word, this is a very extensive course on medical neuroscience. Very well brought and thaught!

By Maria G

Sep 07, 2020

A great opportunity to refresh your knowledge on Neuroanatomy, Neuronal signaling and relative pathways.

By Shikhar G

Jul 16, 2019

Amazing course to learn sth new and exciting...... with great teachers and resource guidance..........

By Avery B

Feb 26, 2018

This class was hands-down incredible. Probably even life-changing. I couldn't recommend it more highly!

By Reynold S

Jul 10, 2016

The brain is really interesting to learn. And this course is one step you should take to understand it

By Samuel L R

Es bastante bueno y completo. No obstante, es también demasiado largo, recomendable en cualquier caso

By Sofiya M

Oct 08, 2017

The best course! Very challenging, but incredibly interesting and provides lots of useful information

By Dean A

Jul 24, 2016

It is great for 1st year medical students! It really goes in detail for the subjects we need to know!

By Leonardo P R

Oct 20, 2019

Excelente curso , maravilloso profesor , bien logrado. Gracias al Profr. Dr. Len White, Ellen et al.

By Ante D

Mar 25, 2018

Incredible course. I would highly recommend it to everyone interested in the field of neuroscience.

By Renaldas Z

Aug 12, 2017

Superb course! Helped me to "integrate" many aspects into more coherent understanding of the brain.

By Eduardo S N G

Jun 13, 2016

It's a great course of medical neurosciece, It's simple and dynamic and well explained by Dr White.

By Haider A

Aug 05, 2020

An excellent course. One of the best courses on neuroscience. Very comprehensive! Great Professor!

By Marco J R N

Jun 21, 2019

Diseño excelente tanto en contenido como en didáctica con la plataforma.

Curso ultra recomendado.

By Anis R

Aug 22, 2020

Excellent course. I learnt a lot of new things although I an assistant professor of neurology !

By Geert V

Jul 07, 2020

Excellent course! I advise to purchase the book (Neuroscience) to follow along with the course.