Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

DW
Sep 27, 2020

Well organized and informative content. Dr. Wilson was an engaging and knowledgeable faculty member; I look forward to enrolling in another course under his leadership.\n\nCalvin E Woodland, EdD, PsyD

JM
Aug 1, 2020

Excellent course for physical therapists wanting to learn how to critically review the research literature. For those of us who completed physical therapy school > 15 years ago, this course is a must!

126 - 150 of 502 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Comfort A

Aug 24, 2020

Excellent course, well put together, interesting presenter with the ability to take complex concepts and explain them in simple terms. I am a lot more confident about interpreting medical research after having gone through the course.

By Don C

Jul 12, 2020

That was so informative and well laid out. I've attempted to read studies in the past and now I have a basis of understanding of the different types and methods. Not to mention an understanding of how to tell the good from the bad.

By Aedrian A

Jan 11, 2021

This is an excellent concise practical guide to clinical statistics and epidemiology, and evidence-based medicine. Everyone, casual learners or experts alike, who are interested or working in this field will find this course useful.

By esraa s

Sep 30, 2021

a​ very very nice course with excellent instructor. waiting for more courses like this. thank you :)

i​ hope you could do a journal club course where we read, criticize and learn from different published papers of different designs.

By Rachel T L

Nov 15, 2020

Wonderful course, thoroughly enjoyed it, would come back to it from time to time to refresh my memory about what i've learned so hoping it would still be accessible then. Hope Professor Perry will create more courses such as this.

By Vinita R

Jul 25, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the journey, and have learnt so much of the medical jargons. The course has helped me understand and analyze the medical research papers in a better way.

Thank You for providing an amazing learning experience.

By Yuliya K

Nov 16, 2021

I love the course, such useful information, a great lecturer. I enjoyed it immensely. Recommend it to everyone! Once you subscribe to it you're in for a valuable and enjoyable journey, that you will be really sad when it's over.

By DR.McQUEEN M A

Jun 4, 2021

A wonderful course to get to the basics of medical studies. It promotes interest in a subject which I once was disinterested in. The presenter Dr Perry Wilson was very engaging and knowledgeable. Wishing the entire team well.

By Joseph B A

Oct 20, 2020

An excellent look at statistics and medical research through the lense of a medical professional. There are fun anecdotes and the course flows in a very coherent way. This was a breeze to understand and enjoyable to complete.

By Joy B

Excellent course. I liked the non-medical references used to explain ideas. I LOVED the interviews. My only complaint is that when the instructor moved to a different board it took a bit of time for the camera to follow him.

By Joy P

Oct 2, 2021

This was a great course. Dr. Wilson explained the material in a way that was understandable by laypersons. The videos were good quality and loved the humorous examples. Sharing this one with as many friends as a I can.

By Silvia O

Nov 13, 2020

Dr Perry Wilson is the best instructor ever! And I say it after a University and an MBA. Interesting, clear, funny, entertaining, I watched his lessons in all my spare minutes and I didn’t have many in the past few weeks!

By Şerife S U

Mar 5, 2021

It was very helpful to understand the fundamentals of medical studies. After this course it will be easier to read and understand the medical literature. And most importantly decide if the article is worth my attention.

By Laras C A

May 17, 2021

I really really love this course! The professor taught me so many things I didn't know before, in a fun and interactive way of course! I hope Yale and Coursera can provide more course as good as this one in the future.

By Jacob W

Oct 25, 2020

Incredibly useful content taught by an engaging presenter who clearly has a passion for this field. Moreover, the motivation behind the course is incredibly encouraging - making important information accessible to all.

By Tonna C

Apr 12, 2021

A must-take course in this age of information and misinformation. The professor presents the material in an accessible way and the course is designed for the individual to learn from any mistakes. Highly recommend!

By Joan R

Jun 1, 2020

An excelent course for medical an non-medical personel who wants to engage in the world of medical research and wants to know the truth behind all the seansationalistic news that appears now and then in the media.

By lucia f

Jun 4, 2020

I love this course! Easy to understand, using examples to make each concept more understandable. Short-enough videos to make progress by watching a couple of videos per day - ideal for when you are short on time.

By Tor M

Mar 30, 2021

Everything promised at the beginning was fulfilled. The course was logical, it was fun and yes, medicine is definitely cool.

It has been an educational and inspiring experience and really a confidence booster!

By Wee K N

May 2, 2020

Very interesting course delivered by a lively instructor with humorous touches. Fun and easy to understand. There are some errors in the answers for the quizzes but the learners should be able to figure out.

By Tigest S

Dec 31, 2020

excellent course

A course that I will comeback to again and again and again

lots of information, EXCELLENT , specially in current situation where so many claim to have the "right" information

By Mary C

This was the first online course that I've ever taken, and it was a pleasant surprise. The Professor was engaging, the material was challenging, but well presented, and overall, it was an excellent course.

By Robin R

Excellent. I wish all my friends would take this. Funny, engaging, breaks down topics that would intimidate many people in easy to understand ways. And thanks for adding in the topical research on COVID-19.

By Paul B

Sep 28, 2021

I used to be in a statistics career field and use some of that knowledge for this course. I absolutely feel like it's easier to spot fraud and will help me have a critical eye for so many other areas!