Back to Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong by Yale University

How can you tell if the bold headlines seen on social media are truly touting the next big thing or if the article isn't worth the paper it's printed on? Understanding Medical Studies, will provide you with the tools and skills you need to critically interpret medical studies, and determine for yourself the difference between good and bad science. The course covers study-design, research methods, and statistical interpretation. It also delves into the dark side of medical research by covering fraud, biases, and common misinterpretations of data. Each lesson will highlight case-studies from real-world journal articles. By the end of this course, you'll have the tools you need to determine the trustworthiness of the scientific information you're reading and, of course, whether or not your Facebook friend is wrong. This course was made possible in part by the George M. O'Brien Kidney Center at Yale....

DW
Sep 27, 2020

Well organized and informative content. Dr. Wilson was an engaging and knowledgeable faculty member; I look forward to enrolling in another course under his leadership.\n\nCalvin E Woodland, EdD, PsyD

JA
Jul 24, 2020

This is a great course that helps you interpret the correct way to read clinical studies. It's something I'll use, especially when and if I am asked to take a medication that has serious side effects.

126 - 150 of 462 Reviews for Understanding Medical Research: Your Facebook Friend is Wrong

By Joseph B A

Oct 20, 2020

An excellent look at statistics and medical research through the lense of a medical professional. There are fun anecdotes and the course flows in a very coherent way. This was a breeze to understand and enjoyable to complete.

By Joy B

Excellent course. I liked the non-medical references used to explain ideas. I LOVED the interviews. My only complaint is that when the instructor moved to a different board it took a bit of time for the camera to follow him.

By Silvia O

Nov 13, 2020

Dr Perry Wilson is the best instructor ever! And I say it after a University and an MBA. Interesting, clear, funny, entertaining, I watched his lessons in all my spare minutes and I didn’t have many in the past few weeks!

By Şerife S U

Mar 5, 2021

It was very helpful to understand the fundamentals of medical studies. After this course it will be easier to read and understand the medical literature. And most importantly decide if the article is worth my attention.

By Laras C A

May 17, 2021

I really really love this course! The professor taught me so many things I didn't know before, in a fun and interactive way of course! I hope Yale and Coursera can provide more course as good as this one in the future.

By Jacob W

Oct 25, 2020

Incredibly useful content taught by an engaging presenter who clearly has a passion for this field. Moreover, the motivation behind the course is incredibly encouraging - making important information accessible to all.

By Tonna C

Apr 12, 2021

A must-take course in this age of information and misinformation. The professor presents the material in an accessible way and the course is designed for the individual to learn from any mistakes. Highly recommend!

By Joan R

Jun 1, 2020

An excelent course for medical an non-medical personel who wants to engage in the world of medical research and wants to know the truth behind all the seansationalistic news that appears now and then in the media.

By lucia f

Jun 4, 2020

I love this course! Easy to understand, using examples to make each concept more understandable. Short-enough videos to make progress by watching a couple of videos per day - ideal for when you are short on time.

By Tor M

Mar 30, 2021

Everything promised at the beginning was fulfilled. The course was logical, it was fun and yes, medicine is definitely cool.

It has been an educational and inspiring experience and really a confidence booster!

By Wee K N

May 2, 2020

Very interesting course delivered by a lively instructor with humorous touches. Fun and easy to understand. There are some errors in the answers for the quizzes but the learners should be able to figure out.

By Tigest S

Dec 31, 2020

excellent course

A course that I will comeback to again and again and again

lots of information, EXCELLENT , specially in current situation where so many claim to have the "right" information

By Mary C

This was the first online course that I've ever taken, and it was a pleasant surprise. The Professor was engaging, the material was challenging, but well presented, and overall, it was an excellent course.

By Robin R

Excellent. I wish all my friends would take this. Funny, engaging, breaks down topics that would intimidate many people in easy to understand ways. And thanks for adding in the topical research on COVID-19.

By Elaine L E

May 23, 2021

I am no academic but I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I liked that I was able to try again if I wasn't satisfied with my results.

Just a little aside here.. the professor.. can any man be so perfect?

By Linda H

Mar 2, 2021

Informative, entertaining. Great content.. (a lot of very important content). The instructor provided excellent examples to capture our attention and help us retain concepts more easily. Thank you!

By Amr M S s

Aug 23, 2020

It is a pretty good course to begin sailing in the tricky sea of research :D but you will need more in-depth courses to fully understand and write in medical literature , specially on biostatistics .

Jun 8, 2020

Excellent overview of understanding how to read and interpret medical studies.

I've been skeptical about how medical studies are portrayed in the news, and now I have some tools to better assess them.

By Deb B G

Aug 29, 2020

Such a timely course as the news is filled with research study after research study with, sometimes, competing results. Never before have I heard "pre-print" and "not peer reviewed" so frequently.

By Simon F

Jun 17, 2020

Clear, engaging and great fun. There might be some optional supplementary theoretical readings, not just medical papers. The exams are jokes. The lecture transcripts badly need proofreading.

By Donchenko T

Jun 18, 2020

Very exciting course, although quite difficult sometimes. Mr. Wilson is the best Professor I've ever seen. His sense of humor and cheerfulness in presenting the course helped me complete it

By Max H

Aug 11, 2020

Great Couse! The information is very useful and easy to understand. It is also presented in a way that is not boring and not too complicated. Everything was very informative and enjoyable!

By Don M

Feb 20, 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed this course! It provided me with many great insights and provided some great tools to decipher medical research papers. Thank you for providing this great course!

By Ömer F Ö

Jul 12, 2020

Change the Course name. I am a medical proffesional wnhich took biostatistics lessons at collage. This course is more informative than lessons. So it should be targeted to proffesionals.