Back to Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome by University of Colorado Boulder

Imagine if there were an organ in your body that weighed as much as your brain, that affected your health, your weight, and even your behavior. Wouldn’t you want to know more about it? There is such an organ — the collection of microbes in and on your body, your human microbiome....

AF

Feb 11, 2017

Very informative! Everybody should take this course, to know more about their own microbiome...\n\nThe first lessons are not so exciting, but hang in there! The most interesting parts come later ;)

GR

Jul 01, 2018

It was a good experience, and while I'm not too big on microbiology in general, I was intrigued in the role our microbiome plays in our lives. The summer I did this changed my life in a way. :)

176 - 200 of 247 Reviews for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

Nov 05, 2015

great

By Mona A A

Jul 09, 2020

good

By Danielle T

Aug 28, 2016

Very interesting course and very timely at the moment given the ground-breaking research in this area! I only have two minor criticisms. Firstly, the presenters seemed to be reading from a script, which made them seem quite wooden and unnatural and thus hard for me to follow at times. Secondly, I would have preferred a little more focus on what we can do to improve our gut microbial diversity. I have tried all the basic advice given with little effect. However, perhaps we just don't know enough at this stage. Also, it would be interesting to explore the anomalies a little more. For example people with high levels of firmicutes who are also lean. Overall, I found the course useful though, thank you!

By Dr. P S

Mar 18, 2019

Excellent course explaining the basics of what the microbiome is and how metagenomics can be used to characterize and understand it. Interesting information about the role of microbes in the environment and about how the gut microbiome is linked to immunity, health and mental well being is presented. The only reason I am not giving it 5 points that because of the use of the techniques described in the course, our knowledge of the field has advanced during the 4 years since the course was first offered and the course has not been updated accordingly.

By Dorothy H

Jul 09, 2016

This is a review from someone zooming through the course at double speed to get a general idea of the subject for free (I did not take any tests or participate in any projects).

I am studying neuroscience and this course was a great adjunct to those studies. If you have interest in biology at all, this course will broaden out your knowledge base.

I took a star away because there was too much advertising for their pet project. Some mention and instruction would have added interest, but so many of the classes being dedicated to it was a bit overkill.