Back to Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome by University of Colorado Boulder

Imagine if there were an organ in your body that weighed as much as your brain, that affected your health, your weight, and even your behavior. Wouldn’t you want to know more about it? There is such an organ — the collection of microbes in and on your body, your human microbiome....

AF

Feb 11, 2017

Very informative! Everybody should take this course, to know more about their own microbiome...\n\nThe first lessons are not so exciting, but hang in there! The most interesting parts come later ;)

GR

Jul 01, 2018

It was a good experience, and while I'm not too big on microbiology in general, I was intrigued in the role our microbiome plays in our lives. The summer I did this changed my life in a way. :)

176 - 191 of 191 Reviews for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

By Andrea R B

Mar 29, 2016

This class was very enlightening. I liked how the videos went along with the quizzes and it was easy to articulate what everyone was saying.

By Charlotte H

Jan 11, 2016

Course content was very good and I'd highly recommend this class. However the course policy of getting other students to grade the assignments results in people with big egos assigning other students arbitrarily bad grades. Maybe this can be fixed on the next iteration. Otherwise, bravo.

By Adham A M

Apr 25, 2016

A great introduction to the intriguing world of Human microbiome.

By Giovanni F

Mar 01, 2017

Nice course

By Prateek D

May 07, 2019

Probably ideal for those who have a background in biology.

By Mirko H

Apr 02, 2019

Very good introduction course.

By Alex

Mar 28, 2019

A very intersting and informative course for all who are interested with gut microbiome as well as ways to determine gut microbiome.

By James U

Jun 25, 2019

Waiting on the completing peer review work and the grading of my own work in Week 6 was stressful and annoying. Overall though, this was a good course! Thanks!

By Andreea C

Mar 12, 2019

This course was very interesting and useful for me, but I believe there is an unbalance between the level of highly specialised information (micobiology related and about the clinical trials and studies), that I find insufficiently explained and the tutors pass very fast through these sections, and general-level information, which I find too general.

I would have liked to hear more about how to restore the gut microbiota after an antibiotic course for example, or how to change out diets to encourage beneficial bacteria. Also I would have liked to hear more about what are the ways of creating a map of the gut microbiota in the general population: how can I discover if my microbiota is ok. I feel this latter wasn't clear enough. And I would have liked to hear more about the most recent studies or trials related to 'beneficial bacterial pills'.

By Mary W

Mar 25, 2016

Great subject and some very well presented videos. However there were several which were incomprehensible. Either because of the quality of the video or the very heavy accent of the speaker especially to a non-American viewer. One doesn't always want to read a transcript but to listen and concentrate. If all the videos had been of good listenable quality I would have given the course 5 stars

By Jennifer F

Feb 08, 2016

Overall this course has covered a lot of good and interesting information! I found the presentation to be lacking somewhat as the course-leaders were reading off the info in front of the camera, which gave the lectures an artificial sort of feel. I did enjoy the different interviews along the way, which spiced things up a bit. The grading of this course needs to be revised, in my view, as some things will go amiss when students grade each other. All in all it's clear that a lot of work has gone into this course, and that is definitely to be commended by all involved.

By Suzanne S

Sep 10, 2015

In general this was an easy, interesting and enjoyable course, Video interviews and lectures by key researchers in this exciting field were a highlight. It's an introductory course so not deep, but fun.

A couple of things significantly detracted from the course for me.

One was a feeling of unqualified evangelism. I think the microbiome is indeed a hugely important field, but the level of hype here, and lack of any critical perspective, was off-putting. This is particularly disturbing for products like probiotics, which have become a huge industry with little solid evidence to support them, or to choose between them. Also, they devote a lot of time to selling the American Gut Project. Which is a good cause, but I would rather they had spent that time teaching me something useful. I resent being duped into watching ads when I've signed up to be educated.

The other thing that bothered me was the course required us to divulge a lot of personal information to other students in pointless, time-consuming projects. I didn't learn anything from these projects and found them annoying.

By Mark

Jun 23, 2018

Extremely clear presentations by the researchers, but loses 2 stars for relying on assignments based on Google Docs which did not load properly and resulted in me not being able to complete the course.

By Roy A E

Jan 08, 2016

Very disappointed in this course. It is more of an infomercial for American Gut than an actual course. Additional knowledge gained was very little.

By arinn w

Dec 29, 2016

the information was presented so slowly that it was hard to follow. i have taken a couple other introductory biology/genetics courses so some of the information was familiar, but i (and a friend who watched over my shoulder) found the videos nearly unwatchable due to the slow pace the presenters were speaking

By Doug H

Aug 30, 2016

I was denied completion of this course because a fellow course taker felt the need to "grade" unfairly. I suggest all "peers" keep in mind we are here to learn not to be judge so critically. The spirit of the course was destroyed by a thoughtless action. If you wish to be critical that's fine but at least have the courage to leave feedback for me to review. Coward.