Back to Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome by University of Colorado Boulder

Imagine if there were an organ in your body that weighed as much as your brain, that affected your health, your weight, and even your behavior. Wouldn’t you want to know more about it? There is such an organ — the collection of microbes in and on your body, your human microbiome....

AF

Feb 11, 2017

Very informative! Everybody should take this course, to know more about their own microbiome...\n\nThe first lessons are not so exciting, but hang in there! The most interesting parts come later ;)

GR

Jul 01, 2018

It was a good experience, and while I'm not too big on microbiology in general, I was intrigued in the role our microbiome plays in our lives. The summer I did this changed my life in a way. :)

201 - 225 of 251 Reviews for Gut Check: Exploring Your Microbiome

By Mona A A

Jul 09, 2020

good

By Danielle T

Aug 28, 2016

Very interesting course and very timely at the moment given the ground-breaking research in this area! I only have two minor criticisms. Firstly, the presenters seemed to be reading from a script, which made them seem quite wooden and unnatural and thus hard for me to follow at times. Secondly, I would have preferred a little more focus on what we can do to improve our gut microbial diversity. I have tried all the basic advice given with little effect. However, perhaps we just don't know enough at this stage. Also, it would be interesting to explore the anomalies a little more. For example people with high levels of firmicutes who are also lean. Overall, I found the course useful though, thank you!

By Dr. P S

Mar 18, 2019

Excellent course explaining the basics of what the microbiome is and how metagenomics can be used to characterize and understand it. Interesting information about the role of microbes in the environment and about how the gut microbiome is linked to immunity, health and mental well being is presented. The only reason I am not giving it 5 points that because of the use of the techniques described in the course, our knowledge of the field has advanced during the 4 years since the course was first offered and the course has not been updated accordingly.

By Dorothy H

Jul 09, 2016

This is a review from someone zooming through the course at double speed to get a general idea of the subject for free (I did not take any tests or participate in any projects).

I am studying neuroscience and this course was a great adjunct to those studies. If you have interest in biology at all, this course will broaden out your knowledge base.

I took a star away because there was too much advertising for their pet project. Some mention and instruction would have added interest, but so many of the classes being dedicated to it was a bit overkill.

By Elena R

Nov 14, 2016

For someone who is a Biologist and has heard about microbiome before, this course is more a review than a course where everything is new. However, hat doesn't mean I didn't learn anything. The course was entertaning, well explained, and interesting. The interviews were simply great, with the opportunity to see experts explaining concepts and projects. For someone with less background than mentioned, it is a very nice course to do. It will change your point of view regarding microorganisms.

By Heather M

This was a good introductory overview to this subject. There were some excellent videos and extra readings, but some of the links are not working properly. The peer review process works but would be more valuable if people were required to give real feedback and not just chose from a limiting scoring choice. I will suggest this to others who want a quick overview.

By Deanna S

May 08, 2020

The course is good, my only objection was that there was no personal Lecturer or Mentor feedback as in some other courses. In fact in the discussion section, it was obvious that some questions that had been asked some time ago were not answered. In fact one could have finished the course and not got a reply. this happened to me.

By Magdalena G

May 15, 2016

the course is very interesting, but the questions in tests are a bit too detailed and thus, too difficult; overall, during the course I learned a lot of new things, discovered new possibilites behind the gut flora and deepened my overall knowledge; if only the certificates were a bit cheaper...

By Charlotte H

Jan 11, 2016

Course content was very good and I'd highly recommend this class. However the course policy of getting other students to grade the assignments results in people with big egos assigning other students arbitrarily bad grades. Maybe this can be fixed on the next iteration. Otherwise, bravo.

By Andrew J L

Mar 27, 2018

Great class, get ready to learn. Lots of reading assignments, which I really liked. Very current research that they are presenting to you here and the researchers that you'll hear from in this are absolutely world class.

By Digant R K

Mar 01, 2016

Interesting and informative. The only reason it is not 5-stars is because some lectures were too much PR, and some assignments required non-scientists to name-drop microbes and design a study without proper reference.

By PJ R

Aug 18, 2015

Excellent introduction to the gut microbiome and its importance to our health. Lots of science but would have like a little more information about how to increase and balance the microbiome through nutrition.

By Alexandra L

Jun 15, 2016

The lab portion was a little too quick for me; well, long because I didn't understand it. I need more in depth to understand how all the extracting and testing happens.

By James U

Jun 25, 2019

Waiting on the completing peer review work and the grading of my own work in Week 6 was stressful and annoying. Overall though, this was a good course! Thanks!

By Jessica

Dec 12, 2015

Loved the idea of this course but a bit out of my league. I wanted more on the data and applying it in real life rather than how the data is collected.

By Lucia M

Jun 26, 2017

The course is very clear and touches important aspects of Human Microbiota. It just needs more updates, because the field is rapidly growing. Thanks.

By Natasha R T

Aug 24, 2015

The only thing that would create a five star rating, would be more valuable interaction among fellow students, and with the instructor as well.

By Andrea R B

Mar 29, 2016

This class was very enlightening. I liked how the videos went along with the quizzes and it was easy to articulate what everyone was saying.

By Alex

Mar 28, 2019

A very intersting and informative course for all who are interested with gut microbiome as well as ways to determine gut microbiome.

By Simone E G

Aug 08, 2016

I really loved the course. I would be thrilled to make a real gut check, even though I live in Europe (Belgium). Simone Einstoss

By Laura S N

Jan 02, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and learned an incredible amount and good information regarding microbiome. Highly recommended!

By Robert K

Jun 08, 2016

Good introduction into the world of microbiome. The only drawback - not enough of this precious, well-delivered information.

By Maria L L Y

Dec 27, 2016

This is a great introductory course of Microbiome with moderate pace and exposure to the latest researches on this area.

By Petra Č

Nov 11, 2015

Good course, I liked everything except reading from cards that made the lectures feel very artifical.