Back to Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets by University of Pennsylvania

We make economics decisions every day: what to buy, whether to work or play, what to study. We respond to markets all the time: prices influence our decisions, markets signal where to put effort, they direct firms to produce certain goods over others. Economics is all around us. This course is an introduction to the microeconomic theory of markets: why we have them, how they work, what they accomplish. We will start with the concept of scarcity and how specialization according to comparative advantage helps us achieve more than we could alone. Next we model a marked using the tools of Supply and Demand and learn what well working markets accomplish and what their limit are. We end by exploring the impact of government intervention on perfect markets. Examples are taken from everyday life, from goods and services that we all purchase and use. We will apply the theory to current events and policy debates through weekly exercises. These will empower you to be an educated, critical thinker who can understand, analyze and evaluate market outcomes....

WS

Mar 05, 2020

I really liked this course. The lecturer is able to convey terminologies clearly in a short time. The problems are more sophisticated and worth time thinking instead of just toy questions.

JR

Jun 07, 2020

The professor was clear and concise. I learned a lot without ever feeling overwhelmed. The quiz questions were relevant to the material covered and improved my understand of the material.

26 - 50 of 183 Reviews for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

By Megha T

Apr 06, 2020

From this course I have received an in depth knowledge about basic concepts of microeconomics and have thoroughly enjoyed the course. I will use these concepts in my further studies.

By Li Y

Dec 23, 2019

Marvelous course design. I like the videos, homework, recommended textbook and extra reading materials. Would be even better if there are more engagement in the discussion session.

By Meenakshi

Apr 07, 2020

The course was well structured and well delivered.The way each topic was delivered by the instructor, helped beginners like me to get a good understanding of the basics.ThankYou!

By Jorge C Y

Sep 04, 2019

I had never had a very clear explanation of the basic functions of microeconomics so clear and objective, I am very happy with the course, and with the teacher.

Jorge Cervantes

By Ashna S

Jan 14, 2017

I really enjoyed the clarity with which the concepts were taught. I loved the examples and I thought they were very helpful and made the concepts so much easier to understand.

By Borja P O

Jun 12, 2019

The course very complete and very well structured. The teacher explains things with very clear examples.

An excellent course to reinforce the foundations of microeconomics.

By Khalel I K

Jun 11, 2020

an amazing course and amazing lecturer professor Rebecca Stein

, I have learned a lot in this course and thanks a lot for the University of Penn and professor Rebecca Stein

By LIU Y

Apr 11, 2016

Thanks for the professional details of this course. And I think the numerical examples provided by Professor Rebecca give me good understanding about the power of markets.

By Miriam H

May 04, 2016

Nice, short and interesting videos. The assignments are not too difficult or too easy. You can see, that Mrs Stein put a lot of effort into the videos and explanations.

By Yumao G

Mar 03, 2016

Nice lecture and quizzes. Easy to follow and very encouraging for those who is new to coursera or has failed to finish online courses within deadline before (like me).

By Giorgos T

Jun 04, 2020

Great course! I didn't have a background in Economics or anything related, but the professor is able to explain the concepts in a very simple and clear way!

By Monique v d B

Apr 06, 2016

Excellent course to get an initial understanding of Micro economics. This course is really well structured and taught excellently by Rebecca and her team.

By Vishnu V R

Feb 25, 2016

Thanks for your efforts to make this course. I had zero knowledge on economics before and I learned a lot in this course within a short period of time.

By Yernur

Apr 18, 2020

I honestly liked this course. Everything is explained great and I am particularly amazed by the examples. Also, liked the way Dr. Stein lectured

By Biju A

The course was delivered in an excellent manner. Concepts were made very clear without bogging you down too much with the arithmetic of it.

By Suryasree R

Aug 07, 2017

Loved it! The concepts was so simple that I found this once-intimidating topic very enjoyable and I am ready to learn more on the same.

By Anurati M

Feb 01, 2017

Excellent course, even for beginners. The course is very interesting and engaging and the concepts are explained quite comprehensively.

By Dalton H

Jul 18, 2020

Great course, teaching is clear and easy to follow,. If you really study hard and focus on it you can finish the course in two days.

By ARVIND K S

Aug 23, 2018

Excellent course. Imparted great knowledge. Loved the videos-short in length but high on expertise. Wish I could teach like that.

By Erick G

The course was really great, the professor has a very good technique for teaching economics, i enjoyed every video, thank you!!!

By Yuqi L

Apr 23, 2020

This is the best designed class. The videos are short and easy to follow. The Logic of the course is clear. I like it so much!

By Saleh M L A

Oct 30, 2017

Very informative, Simple and practical numerical examples.

Discussion after course with the mentors are even great.

Thank You !

By Kyu H K

Aug 07, 2018

Excellent Economics course for those biginners who firstly enter the world of Economics. I really liked professor's

By Cornelia

Apr 14, 2020

Great and simple explanations, course build up interesting. units short enough to work through and test on my own.

By Dennis

Apr 25, 2020

The course material was presented in a very thorough, easy to understand manner. The instructor was outstanding!!