Back to Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets by University of Pennsylvania

We make economics decisions every day: what to buy, whether to work or play, what to study. We respond to markets all the time: prices influence our decisions, markets signal where to put effort, they direct firms to produce certain goods over others. Economics is all around us. This course is an introduction to the microeconomic theory of markets: why we have them, how they work, what they accomplish. We will start with the concept of scarcity and how specialization according to comparative advantage helps us achieve more than we could alone. Next we model a marked using the tools of Supply and Demand and learn what well working markets accomplish and what their limit are. We end by exploring the impact of government intervention on perfect markets. Examples are taken from everyday life, from goods and services that we all purchase and use. We will apply the theory to current events and policy debates through weekly exercises. These will empower you to be an educated, critical thinker who can understand, analyze and evaluate market outcomes....

AN
Jan 21, 2021

It’s been my 4th and favorite course on coursera one so far! Very short interesting videos with great explanation and great visual demonstration by having a transperent board in front of the teacher!

D
May 24, 2021

A very good introduction to microeconomics course, the professor was great. She explained all the concepts with ease. I would urge everyone who wants to get started with economics to try this course.

151 - 175 of 205 Reviews for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

Feb 16, 2018

I love it

By 吴子超

Jun 14, 2018

good

By 栗言

Jun 3, 2017

good

By Ojaswin V

Apr 15, 2017

;-]

By Jitagna M

Sep 20, 2017

Very well explained course. Lectures could have been clubbed together to make fewer lectures and to prevent loss of continuity in the same concept. Similarly for the tests. I felt there are too many small small tests, that makes a person tend to retake them. This makes a person think that the course is too long, but actually it isn't. Mentor comments are extremely detailed and attends to each and every point. Sometimes more than what you want as a feedback. Other than discussion prompt there aren't many discussions happening around. Final test was extremely well designed. I liked the concept of front-side explanation board instead of the instructor having to turn around.

By Joseph S

Jun 2, 2020

I remain strongly adherent to the belief entailing the fruition of an improvment of the course through including more videos that seek to establish concrete examples with numerical values. As I viewed most of the videos to excessively discuss abstract concepts, whilst forsaking the necessity to apply noteworthy examples in accordance with the economic principle. Nonetheless, the information presented was valuable and significant to learn in order for one to become more economically literate.

By Georgina S

Jan 14, 2018

Thank You, I have found your videos well informative and to the point. I came across this resource as a revision tool to help with one of my business modules.

It can be further improved if for some of the quizzes has drawn graphs you can select as sometimes the descriptions were a little confusing.

Overall the best package I've found, love it

By Felisa S

Dec 20, 2017

This course teaches you the basics on how to understand supply and demand curves, consumer surplus, producer surplus, how to calculate subsidies, taxes, and total surplus, etc. While I did have to reach out to external resources to help me understand the math behind some of the calculations, rewatching the videos a few times helped.

By Katelyn R

Mar 9, 2020

Very well taught with enjoyable examples. Instructor's pacing and and presentations make each discreet step/lesson easy to master as part of the overall chain. The only thing I would add would be more numerical examples to work through to increase repetitions to cement learning.

By Karl M

Jan 31, 2017

Really good, clear content, no surprises in the exam questions - but no free lunch either. A good balance that makes learning relatively easy but critical thinking necessary.

By Rahul L

Feb 9, 2018

Nice introductory course for microeconomics. Course provides simple and easy explanations for demand and supply, elasticity, effects of tax and subsidies on market.

By sjh411@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2017

This is great course for newbies to microeconomics. If you want to excel at this course, you should buy or rent the suggested book to fully grasp the concepts.

By Ankit S

Jun 13, 2017

The quizzes were easy. There wasn't an explanation to why some of my quiz answers were wrong. Excellent teaching but the assignments need a lot of work.

By Yingyi Z

Dec 21, 2016

Great course for beginners in economics, though I think it'd be more helpful to explain concepts and their implications in more depth and detail.

By Pratik R K

Apr 16, 2021

Nice course but there were few places where I could not grasp the concept easily. Maybe a few examples on every definition might help

By Yasir A

Mar 9, 2016

very usfule course. It might need some explinations for how to do the math for each subject. I recommande it for begginars.

By Mark A B

Aug 5, 2018

Some really useful content covered in this course, which gets you thinking about supply and demand in a market.

By Geo P

Feb 12, 2018

Me gusto los vídeos cortos y los ejemplos, adicionalmente la literatura adicional es muy buena y amena.

By Shyam S

Aug 14, 2020

The tutor amazingly taught the course and it was easy for me to understand the nuances of the syllabus

By Rina C

Jun 22, 2017

I have never taken an Economics course before and this was a good Introduction to me

By Dazhi W

Sep 16, 2017

Great course. The concept of oppotunity cost is useful even outside the classroom.

By Xiaowei Y

Nov 17, 2016

Very interesting and useful! But it does not cover all issues of microeconomics.