Back to Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets by University of Pennsylvania

We make economics decisions every day: what to buy, whether to work or play, what to study. We respond to markets all the time: prices influence our decisions, markets signal where to put effort, they direct firms to produce certain goods over others. Economics is all around us. This course is an introduction to the microeconomic theory of markets: why we have them, how they work, what they accomplish. We will start with the concept of scarcity and how specialization according to comparative advantage helps us achieve more than we could alone. Next we model a marked using the tools of Supply and Demand and learn what well working markets accomplish and what their limit are. We end by exploring the impact of government intervention on perfect markets. Examples are taken from everyday life, from goods and services that we all purchase and use. We will apply the theory to current events and policy debates through weekly exercises. These will empower you to be an educated, critical thinker who can understand, analyze and evaluate market outcomes....

FP
Jan 18, 2020

Excellent course on the principles of markets and the effects of taxes and subsidies. Really enjoyed it and learned a lot. You definitely start to see the world around you in a different way.

WS
Mar 4, 2020

I really liked this course. The lecturer is able to convey terminologies clearly in a short time. The problems are more sophisticated and worth time thinking instead of just toy questions.

176 - 184 of 184 Reviews for Microeconomics: The Power of Markets

By William A H

Sep 9, 2019

c

By Brian B

Jun 26, 2020

While Professor Stein is obviously very intelligent and knowledgeable in her field, I can honestly say that I am more confused about economics than before. This may be because I lack the basic mathematical skills required to complete the course. However, with an online course like this, there needs to be more practice and explanations with this level of required calculations. I passed the course but I don't feel more intelligent or well-versed in my knowledge of economics.

By Martijn S

Aug 26, 2019

More reading material that is made available would be very helpful instead of just naming chapters you should read from a book you don't have, and better explanation of the questions that you did wrong would also be helpful.

By Michael T

An explanation of the correct answers with applicable graphs would be more helpful than just a reference to a specific lecture. Possibly after a third try on an exam, providing this would be very helpful.

By sagar a

Jul 21, 2017

I felt that the course was very slow. Average video length should have been set around 5 minutes because small length videos cause time loss when we move to the next topic.

By Lydia S

Apr 26, 2020

Fantastic lectures, but quizzes are badly written and bear little relationship to the material covered.

By Siddharth N

May 26, 2017

Average video is 2-3 minutes long. Very frustrating. Disrupts flow like crazy. Material is good.

By Sohun C S

Jul 14, 2018

the quiz content didnt always correlate with the lessons

By Stephen D

Dec 9, 2016

IT'S PRONOUNCED "CURVE".

The teacher is incapable of pronouncing the letter 'r', making lectures infuriating.