Back to De-Mystifying Mindfulness

De-Mystifying Mindfulness, Universiteit Leiden

About this Course

Interest in meditation, mindfulness, and contemplation has grown exponentially in recent years. Rather than being seen as mystical practices from ancient Buddhism or esoteric philosophy, they are increasingly seen as technologies rooted in evidence from psychology and neuroscience. Mindfulness has become the basis for numerous therapeutic interventions, both as a treatment in healthcare and as a means of enhancing well-being and happiness. For millions around the world, mindfulness has become a life-style choice, enhancing and enriching everyday experience. Mindfulness is big business. But, what actually is mindfulness? Is it really good for you? Can anyone learn it? How can you recognize charlatans? Would you want to live in a mindful society, and would it smell like sandalwood? What does it feel like to be mindful? Are you mindful already, and how would you know? Evolving from the popular Honours Academy course at Leiden University, this innovative course combines conventional scholarly inquiry from multiple disciplines (ranging from psychology, through philosophy, to politics) with experiential learning (including specially designed ‘meditation labs,’ in which you’ll get chance to practice and analyze mindfulness on yourself). In the end, the course aims to provide a responsible, comprehensive, and inclusive education about (and in) mindfulness as a contemporary phenomenon. During the production of this course, we have been supported by Willem Kuyken, Director of the University of Oxford Mindfulness Centre, and Stephen Batchelor, co-founder of Bodhi College. And we gratefully acknowledge the contributions made by Mark Williams, co-developer of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and Rebecca Crane, Director of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at the University of Bangor....

By AL

Nov 02, 2017

Awesome!\n\nLots of valuable theory, which includes uncovering fears and doubts. And the most important: practice. You can learn meditation here, and truly understand why the hell it's so important.

By DC

Apr 27, 2017

The combination of theory and practice in this course has made it thoroughly enjoyable and I feel I have a deeper understanding, both conceptually and practically, of mindfulness.

272 Reviews

By John Belmont

Jan 08, 2019

This was an excellent course! The instructor, Chris Goto-Jones, is a very likable instructor who makes the material both fun and accessible. Every angle of mindfulness is covered in this course in a very open and measured way.

By Dany Mindful

Jan 05, 2019

Everyone should take it!

By Diadel Ortiz

Jan 03, 2019

Thank you for this course, I have learn Mindfulness to be an interesting subject. I have enjoyed the variety of mediations and interviews. This course is a great way to introduce Mindfulness. I will continue to use Mindfulness throughout my life and will share what I have experienced with others.

Thank you. Diadel

By Carlos Mateo Vélez Rodríguez

Jan 02, 2019

Great course

It helped me to manage my stress symptons, it helped me to be more aware of my daily life and helped me to be focused on the present moment, letting go the past and the worries about future

By Maria Cortes-Graham

Dec 19, 2018

I like a lot the structure of the material, the videos, and the exercises/labs. I find the instructor (Chris) and his voice very soothing making the "pursuit of mindfulness" a little more easier. Thanks!

By Jay Selva

Dec 14, 2018

Thank you very much for the opportunity. The course has a lot of learning material and it was just awesome to learn some of the things that I would have not ever known otherwise. I would have to say "Excellent" I appreciate Chris Goto-Jones for the amount of work that was given in putting De-Mystifying Mindfulness. I'm presently using my new learning to pave my way for teaching it. I will also contribute to the mission of Leiden University to continue these efforts to keeping this course alive for all who are willing to take advantage of becoming aware of their every day activities (Being Mindful)

By Elison Filomeno Lacerda Dantas

Nov 20, 2018

I learned a lot about Mindfulness.

By Christoph

Nov 06, 2018

Amazing course that displays Mindfulness for people who tend to stay away from it. Perfectly bias-dissolving!

By Shangyan Zhang

Oct 09, 2018

This is a great course, the professor is highly qualified, and the content is very helpful.

By Rodrigo Witzel

Oct 05, 2018

I cancelled the course in week 2. Ratio of content and words was too low for me.