Back to De-Mystifying Mindfulness

Learner Reviews & Feedback for De-Mystifying Mindfulness by Universiteit Leiden

Interest in meditation, mindfulness, and contemplation has grown exponentially in recent years. Rather than being seen as mystical practices from ancient Buddhism or esoteric philosophy, they are increasingly seen as technologies rooted in evidence from psychology and neuroscience. Mindfulness has become the basis for numerous therapeutic interventions, both as a treatment in healthcare and as a means of enhancing well-being and happiness. For millions around the world, mindfulness has become a life-style choice, enhancing and enriching everyday experience. Mindfulness is big business. But, what actually is mindfulness? Is it really good for you? Can anyone learn it? How can you recognize charlatans? Would you want to live in a mindful society, and would it smell like sandalwood? What does it feel like to be mindful? Are you mindful already, and how would you know? Evolving from the popular Honours Academy course at Leiden University, this innovative course combines conventional scholarly inquiry from multiple disciplines (ranging from psychology, through philosophy, to politics) with experiential learning (including specially designed ‘meditation labs,’ in which you’ll get chance to practice and analyze mindfulness on yourself). In the end, the course aims to provide a responsible, comprehensive, and inclusive education about (and in) mindfulness as a contemporary phenomenon. During the production of this course, we have been supported by Willem Kuyken, Director of the University of Oxford Mindfulness Centre, and Stephen Batchelor, co-founder of Bodhi College. And we gratefully acknowledge the contributions made by Mark Williams, co-developer of Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT), and Rebecca Crane, Director of the Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice at the University of Bangor. "The course enabled me to explore the mindfulness construct at its deeper lever from philosophical, psychological and political lenses. The mindfulness labs were very useful in practicing the skills of being mindful." 23 nov 2018 "i took this course after a period of time when I was trying to practice mindfulness and meditation, but with doubtful success. The course answered many questions to me, and I needed that to keep me motivated. It really helped me understand the origins and, more importantly, benefits of mindfulness practice and made me persist in my attempts. I'm really glad I took the course, I find it interesting, well taught and very useful for all those seeking deeper explanation in why trying mindfulness." 9 Oct 2018 "I have taken other courses in other online platforms. However, this has been one of the best courses I have found online." 3 Oct 2018 "I really like the invitation to us, the learners, to rethink our preconceptions and beliefs, and then make our own judgement about mindfulness. The overall tone was very friendly and open, resources very useful." 12 Dec 2017...

SM
Jul 20, 2020

A course that will open your mind and heart. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt so much about Mindfulness and how I want to incorporate it into my daily life, relationships and personality. Thank you!

AL
Nov 1, 2017

Awesome!\n\nLots of valuable theory, which includes uncovering fears and doubts. And the most important: practice. You can learn meditation here, and truly understand why the hell it's so important.

76 - 100 of 488 Reviews for De-Mystifying Mindfulness

By Matthew K

Jan 6, 2017

I have nothing but good things to say. De-Mystifying Mindfulness is the complete package of academia, personal development, and transferable skills. The course posed interesting questions that made me consider how I think, feel, and how I to live in the world around me. It was transformative experience that I heartily recommend.

By Nicola J

May 11, 2018

As a beginner to mindfulness I found this an excellent course. Not only did it supply me with the knowledge as to what mindfulness is, I also learnt to be mindful when completing daily tasks and to practice mindfulness meditation. I am very glad that I completed this course and my thanks to the educator and course organisers.

By Subbalakshmi K

Oct 16, 2017

This course does what it seeks to do! It is a great introduction to Mindfulness, what it is, what it is not and unravels the many misconceptions about it. This is a course for one an all - whether you are a practising Buddhist or belong to any other religion or even a non-believer. It gives you more clarity about mindfulness.

By Charmaine B

Jul 14, 2020

This course has broadened my knowledge of mindfulness. Expanding my theoretical, as well as socio- political foundations. I have developed a mindfulness practice over the last 4 years. This course has complemented my practice with a broader insight into the origins of mindfulness and contemporary trends.

Thank you so much!

By Aysegul E

Jul 4, 2020

Great course for those who want to dig a little deeper on mindfulness and learn different aspects ad point of views. It might get intense to grasp the concepts if you have never been introduced to the subject of mindfulness but still worth the effort. Great exercises if you want to build or deepen your meditation practice.

By T S V

Jul 18, 2018

Introduces you to the tip of iceberg called Mindfulness. In that process encourages you gently to appreciate the various dimensions while taking you through the journey of self realisation too, particularly what is Mindfulness and what it could do for you. A splendid combination of both Academic + therapeutic flavours.

By Luísa S

Jun 20, 2020

The course was an excellent opportunity to conciliate the objective and subjective knowledge, since it offered different approaches to mindfulness and the meditation labs. I must admit the course was very demanding in terms of time dedicated every day and was very immersive, but it was a wonderful experience after all.

By Stephanie L

May 22, 2020

This course stretched me in ways I didn't know were possible. It also gave me so many things to consider relating to mindfulness and I feel I have such a deeper understanding. I loved the experiential side of it, it really was the best way to learn. I appreciate the course team for putting this together. Thank you!

By Diadel O

Jan 3, 2019

Thank you for this course, I have learn Mindfulness to be an interesting subject. I have enjoyed the variety of mediations and interviews. This course is a great way to introduce Mindfulness. I will continue to use Mindfulness throughout my life and will share what I have experienced with others.

Thank you. Diadel

By Jonathan G

Mar 26, 2020

This ended up being one of the most useful personal development classes I've ever taken, especially considering the current state of the world. Professor Jones does an excellent job of covering mindfulness as an academic study while providing plenty of opportunities to learn and practice mindfulness meditation.

By Thekla S

Nov 16, 2017

I enjoyed doing this course very much. I really recommend taking it; it gives you knowledge about and insight in and around the concept of mindfulness. The many different exercises/meditations contribute to your learning experience. The latter being an experience which is so useful for the rest of your life.

By Paul F

Feb 26, 2018

Absolutely fantastic. To get a 5 star rating from me you have to pull me in when I'm least expecting it. Informative and challenging. Perspectives and experiences from the global community. Tremendous supplement or preparation for classroom exploration of the roots of Mindfulness. Highly recommend!

By Yvette S

Jan 7, 2017

This course was very enjoyable in learning what mindfulness was to me and better ways to become more mindful in my life. I also found more happiness, joy, and peace from taking this course. I would say overall the best benefit is having less stress from the simple principles covered in this course.

By Erik E

Jun 26, 2020

This course was really interesting and gave me a good overview over the different elements and perspectives of the concept of mindfulness. And I'd like to emphasize the approach of this course not simply giving theoretical explanations but also to convey the practical aspects of mindfulness.

By Claudia C M C

Feb 15, 2018

Es un curso con una mezcla de herramientas que permiten aprender de manera fácil, las exposiciones del maestro son claras y su nivel de conocimiento sobre el tema se refleja inmediatamente, además de que transmite tranquilidad, el material de apoyo y los ejercicios son de excelente calidad.

By Kimyon Z

Feb 7, 2017

Absolutely phenomenal. I have a different perspective on how I see myself, how I perceive the world and everything around me after taking this class. I highly recommend that if you have no idea what mindfulness is or if you think that you do, take the course and receive or add more value.

By LYDIA i

Apr 18, 2020

Great experience. Learnt new skills: mindfulness, guided meditation, self awareness, mindfulness practices such as body scan, sitting in breathe, pleasant experiences, 3-step breathing space and many more. Learnt about the preconceptions, benefits of mindfulness, meditation labs, Buddhism.

By Malena P

Jul 24, 2020

Great course! Thorough, well designed and supported. I really appreciate and value the dedication you have put on conceiving the videos and resources, and the interest in giving the participants additional material and activities to go deep in the practice. Congratulations and thank you!

By Leslie F

Nov 30, 2019

I loved this course! It offers a comprehensive review of the philosophical underpinnings of "mindfulness" while also providing practical mindful exercises supported by audio recordings to develop your skills. Highly recommend for anyone interested in learning more about mindfulness.

By Mylene

Jan 16, 2018

Very interesting course, amazing professor (only caveas is the way of teaching, just reading quickly in front of the camera is not really conducive to learning, doing more actual teaching would be amazing), content is extremely interesting, and the lab meditation practice great.

By Daniel B

Jul 23, 2020

It has to be challenging to prepare a class that is entirely online and free. I appreciate the work that went into the course and the spirit in which it was presented. The content was just about perfect for (5) weeks. I'd take the next level class if it were offered. Thank you.

By Claudio B

Jun 22, 2019

An excellent course with in-depth exploration of the mindfulness concept, with interviews of experts in the field and critical appraisal of the subject matter. Include a great practice space where you can learn meditation, and truly understand why the hell it's so important.

By Carrie R

Sep 30, 2018

Excellent course. I went into it without expectation and received much more than I even thought possible. It widened my perspective of mindfulness and gave many wonderful and applicable mindfulness techniques that you can incorporate into your own practice. Highly recommended!

By Macarena B A

Apr 11, 2020

Nicely conveyed, informative and evocative. It really gives the chance to acquire a theoretical vision of mindfulness and its framework, and to start a mindfulness practice. Highly recommendable. And highly commendable that a course such as this exists. Thanks to all involved

By Meghana K

Jul 25, 2020

Very well thought, well sculpted course.

Got to learn so many things about Mindfulness..I am sure with this knowledge, and practice, i am going to try to be more mindful, more gentle, more compassionate and aware towards myself and all known and unknown people around me!!