Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

EC
Aug 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

SM
Jun 21, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

251 - 275 of 2,855 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Vivekanandan S

Feb 17, 2019

I really feel good and having more broad mind.It introduced life long lessons and the many other things for my career.It also helped me to Broaden my passion , think about "What is the Mission" , as the mam Rightly resembles the true meaning fro resilient and courage for practicing MIND-SHIFT .Thank you and all the best for your journey .

By Zai E

Jul 9, 2017

I got so many ideas from this course. Also I developed a better understand on learning and how our minds work. I had already taken Learning How to Learn and this was a wonderful follow up course. I highly recommend this course to people who want to learn something new, want to make a shift in their career, and to teachers/future teachers.

By Kalpesh G

Mar 31, 2020

It is a good course which provides us with the tools and the resources which can aid us while we are planning for a Mindshift i.e some change in thought, or way of doing things or work field.

I would like to thanks Miss Barb Oakley, Mr Terry Sejnowski and the entire Mideshift team to come up with such a unique idea to share to the world.

By Sergey K

Apr 8, 2018

At first sight, course may look simple. The teachers have simple and funny manner explaining the material. Although, behind the curtains of simplicity there are deep topics presented related to learning and finding your own way in current age of information. Everything comes with Barb's personal touch. Thank you. I found it very useful!

By Samiur R

May 25, 2017

This course is very well designed. The instructors are skilled. This course will help anyone who is willing to learn. By doing this course both professionals as well as students can get the help necessary to be successful in their respective field. I enjoyed this course and recommend everyone to do it before doing any other MOOC course.

By Valentina J N

Jul 6, 2020

This course was an eye-opener in many ways. Specially in good ways. Very happy to encounter with this life changing course. I changed my perspectives and I want to apply everything I learned here in my daily life.

Want to congratulate everyone that worked in this MOOC. It was funny and easy to comprehend and learn. Thank you very much.

By Axel J B B

Jun 17, 2020

I liked the course as it helps you develop better and more productive habits and noticing how we should approach the ever-changing society we live in. It also invites us to embrace change by never stopping to learn and acquiring new skills, even in fields that we are not experts on, or that we feel we may have not so much talent in.

By Edoardo C

Jun 25, 2020

Some very positive lessons here. Perhaps contradicting - somewhat - what you would expect from Jack Ma bearing in mind his considerations on how to be successful in your 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond (albeit the financial benefit of learning are not discussed in the course). A great course for the young as well as the "not too young".

By jonah r

Mar 5, 2020

amazing course, interesting, thorough, has great little quizzes that help you understand the key points of the study. in this course there is more than meets the eye, because learning how to change your mindset isn't something you'll hear about till you're 35 or so. so if you've come across this course, give it a try. it's worth it

By George P

Mar 29, 2019

Great follow-up to the Learning How to Learn course. I thought the LHTL course provided more nuts and bolts regarding how to develop skills/practices to learn more effectively, while this course focused more on navigating external challenges to learning and making the best of available learning resources, especially online courses.

By MIGUEL Á R M

Jun 7, 2017

This is the second MOOC I make. The first was "Learning How to learn". Like the previous one, this one seemed excellent too, and I already feel that the teachers and I are friends, of course, I reiterate that they are highly professional and made the course interesting and very enjoyable. My congratulations from Caracas-Venezuela.

By Jaroslava M

May 26, 2017

Wonderfully inspiring, I would recommend to anyone, who is such poor learner and I am and even a lot better, because there is always new thing to study :) A lot of helpfull informations, thought the last part about changing into information age was a bit scarry, but with more MOOC´s like this we are going to handle it in no time.

By Anne D

Oct 10, 2020

first MOOC I have done, excellent information on topic presented succinctly with nice graphics, well edited, and as a bonus, was entertaining with humor (humor helps in learning). Quizzes and tests reinforced learning. Have signed up for another one of their MOOC's. Thanks so much for your efforts in preparation of this course.

By Vitor F L

Sep 24, 2017

Barbara Oaklay did it again: a great MOOC course. Wasy to follow course structure, thoughtfully designed quizzes, tests, and projects, friendly, upbeat instructors, metaphor, analogy and humor -- all of this you will have in this course to help you discover that besides following your passions you need to broaden your passions.

By Maria A D E

May 31, 2017

Este curso es perfecto para los que usamos excusas para no aprender, te abre los ojos e impulsa a mejorarte a la vez que te provee con herramientas para seguir aprendiendo.

Además, todos los consejos y estrategias tienen un respaldo científico lo cual incrementa las razones por las cuales mejorarte!

Sin excusas, Happy mindshift.

By amy_ann

Sep 12, 2017

This is such a great course! The professor Barb Oakley herself is so motivating and positive that actually it's good to listen to her. She's really funny! I wish I would have professors like her at my school! This is a useful course for everyone who needs a bit of motivation and who feels stressed because of work, studies etc.

By Ysabel M

Sep 19, 2020

One of the first online courses I've taken, and it was excellent. The way this course was created really had the students taking it in mind, and many aspects of it were engaging. I discovered a lot about myself and this really boosted my morale. I feel like I study in a more effective and efficient way now. Thank you so much!

By Jeanne P

Sep 4, 2020

This was my first MOOC. Mindshift was a great introduction to the world of online MOOCs, offering helpful general tips for choosing online courses. The material was interesting, well-researched and thought-provoking. I learned a lot that is immediately applicable to life situations and career opportunities. Thank you Barbara!

By Powela J

This was a very great class. It helped me dispel some myths about my learning habits and definitely helped me see the potential I have. I view learning in a new way and I'm able to re-frame my thinking to get what I want out of life. Thank you so much for putting this material together Dr. Oakley. This is my best MOOC so far.

By veena v n

Mar 27, 2019

This is is the second Course i am doing after Learn to Learn.I found the classes to be wonderful.Prof Barbara and Dr Terrence are inspiring teachers and i would recommend everybody irrespective of age to take up this course. I am completely satisfied .I am giving a 5 star rating.A big thanks to Prof Barbara and Dr Terrence.

By Sidharth N

May 7, 2020

This is the best course that I have ever completed. I recommend this to be taken by everyone. I learned a lot of skills and techniques to learn better and to be a better person overall. The instructors were passionate about their work and gave lot of helpful metaphors to make us understand the ideas presented in this course.

By AKARAT S

May 3, 2020

I would highly recommend you to learn this course as it would help you to broaden your vision and break through your wall of learning. There are quite a few scientific researches to support the study but that makes very sense when it all comes together. It would also helps you to look at thing differently and open your mind.

By Lizbeth R M C

The course was wonderful, it really changed my perception of learning and how we are living. I learned the great world of neuroscience, what happens in our brain without us realizing it, is incredible. Everything has a reason and I am very motivated to continue learning new things and change the traditional approach I had.

By Kiong M Y

Oct 20, 2020

Enjoyed the interesting course as it is in the right speed, with the right bite size that I can easily complete in between the time I have in a week. It is easy to understand as both speak clearly and not rush through like some of the courses I have taken before. Well done and hope to see more courses coming after this!

By SJ O

Sep 24, 2017

The course is really helpful and applicable to real life. Also I'd like to give a big praise to Professor Oakley. I was deeply impressed by her enthusiasm, professionalism, and confidence in what she teaches. Also, I appreciated she used very easy English for learners like me whose mother tongue is not English. Thank you.