Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

DI
Oct 30, 2020

Great course! This is a lot more general than Learning about Learning but is also useful nonetheless. I like the focus on keeping positive and being confident in your potential despite our weaknesses.

EC
Aug 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

301 - 325 of 2,848 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Alexandra M

Jun 17, 2020

This course reinforced what was discussed in the related course of, "Learning How to Learn". I appreciate the cheesy jokes that help liven the episode. This also helps the information sink through. There was useful information from the optional videos as well on memory enhancement and the drive to learn.

By Ma. J L B

Apr 3, 2020

This course is very interesting and helpful. It inspires me to learn more and discover my hidden potentials through mindshift and breakthrough obstacles. In also opens my mind that lifelong learning is really important in our changing environment. Learning is indeed fun, and this course really proves it.

By Felix M

Dec 29, 2019

Cute and entertaining course with many useful bits of knowledge. The course isn't difficult and can be seen as a nice alternative to wasting your time watching Netflix. As the teachers would say: use this course to get your brain into a diffused thinking mode while you are recovering from harder classes.

By Mark K

May 27, 2018

I have learned new things and reinforced some I already knew. I love teaching and learning and this course helps solidify both. This MOOC will encourage you to continue your lifelong learning. Everyone should take this course; teachers, students both young and old, whether for career or self-interest.

By Felipe N

May 7, 2017

This MOOC is wonderfully perfect. I'm putting everything I've learned into the previous MOOC "Learning to Learn" into practice and now with that course I've finalized for have new ideas and thoughts to add into my life and into my professional career. Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity: D

By Sadrina Y

Nov 13, 2019

As a trainer and lifelong learner, I have been a fan of the duo since Learning how to Learn. This course helps keep me in check on why we should give a damn about how we present material to catalyze learning in people we teach. A lot of the subject matter was relevant and her techniques were helpful!

By Santos H

Jun 20, 2017

Amazing course, if you have taken Barbara Oakey's previous course Learning How to Learn and enjoyed it, you will enjoy this one, too. Barbara breaks down many of problems of today and the future with practical and well supported advice that will serve you well for years to come in the information age.

By Gabriella F

Apr 16, 2020

Amazing course and opportunity to get fascinated about learning. I strongly believe this course can change lives in a significant and positive way. Barb is a true mentor, and her life story is inspiring in many ways. Whatever your moment or stage in life is right now, I encourage you to hop on board.

By Rania F E S

Sep 5, 2020

It was a very interesting and helpful course ... The instructor Barbara was great and interesting ... made me think all the time about my career and how to enhance it and how to think in a different way in all my life's aspect .

I highly recommend this course for anyone to start think differently.

By Monica N

es un curso muy completo, muy dinámico y práctico, que me ayudo a tener nuevas perspectivas para replantear nuevos retos, a redirigir mis esfuezos para ser mas productiva. A perder el miedo a cambiar el rumbo si es necesario y no tomarlo como una perdida de tiempo, al darle valor a las experiencias.

By Ramanan T

Jun 26, 2020

This course entirely shifted my learning abilities or in other words, I was able to restore my lost learning capabilities in place. The teachers are very attractive to listen to without losing attention throughout the course. Moreover, the time frame of each module is much more convenient to learn.

By Elizabeth C

Jun 1, 2020

Very useful and accessible course. Both instructors (especially Barb) are great at presenting concepts and ideas that are valuable in the 'real' world. I would recommend this to learners of all ages -- particularly those who may be feeling ambivalent about their career and employment at any stage.

By Jayne E L

Aug 25, 2019

An OUTSTANDING course! Dr Barbera Oakley, and Dr Terry Sejnowski are excellent. If you are searching for a class that will open your mind to exploring a chapter in your life, and show you how your mind works while taking a new direction, this is the class for you. Fascinating, informative, and fun!

By Jojo N P

An Amazing course to really identify what are the obstacles which you have to huddle and to guide the way to unleash your potential and real calibre. Lectures are amazingly resourceful and talented. I recommend it to everyone who really wanted to do a self analysing and move forward in your life.

By Pilar F

Apr 30, 2020

The course is very easy to follow. The videos are short and with one point each. It has a lot of info on how to approach learning when it is not part of a school program. It has given me insights on what it promises, the blockroads to learning as a mature student. All in all, time well spent!

By Prasanna K B

Sep 27, 2019

This course is very engaging. Through out the course author motivates us and real life examples are very inspiring. I was thinking i am slow learner and i cant learn anything new but this course made my Mindshift. Am enrolling new courses. Thanks to Dr. Barbara Oakley for such wonderful insights.

By Letty F

Aug 8, 2020

I really enjoyed this class. I liked how it was explained and examples were provided. Great stories about others experiences. Her voice was pleasant and calm. I recommend this course if you are trying to learn more about your purpose and activities one can do to find what you are successful in.

By Jo L

Nov 18, 2020

I really love Barb and Terry as instructors, I watch with subtitles because I am hard of hearing and the lessons are still captivating. Great information presented with an authentic passion for the lessons. I took Learning How to Learn before this class and can't wait for their next offering!

By Rocielle H N

Nov 14, 2020

For those who want to upgrade and improve themselves, this course is a must. Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski breaks down components and gives them in bite-sized, consumable videos.

It is both educational and entertaining. Thank you, Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Sejnowski!

By Andrea

Sep 9, 2020

This was a great course! It was very straightforward, well-designed, and highly informative. The overall delivery was tight as well as the visual tools utilized to aid instruction. As a person who truly sees the potential in online learning, I do wish more courses would be designed in this way.

By JASMEET K

Aug 27, 2020

It has been a pleasure, being a part of this amazing process of learning how to Mindshift and breaking through all the hindrances in your path. Four weeks later, I totally see myself standing with a new vision in Life. Thank You for this beautiful experience Dr. Barbara, Dr. Terrence and Scott!

By Ratchaphon M

Jun 24, 2020

Super inspirational! Thank you for modeling me for continually making a mindshift. Your comment 'DON'T FOLLOW YOUR PASSION, EXTEND YOUR PASSION' truly boosts my spirit up since I've been a bit low from my current work.

Thank you for your positivity, creativity, and ambition!

LOVE from Thailand...

By Guillermo

Apr 15, 2020

Very motivating and practical. Totally would recommend if you are feeling in a dead end in your career, it shows a very positive message that is everybody is able to do almost everything, plus gives you practical tips con how to achieve it. Definitely not a boring, theoretical or specific MOOC.

By Roberta S

Apr 14, 2020

This course was a breath of fresh air. I loved how positive yet practical BO was. I am looking at a career change and this was just what I needed to pursue this further. The structure was simple yet tight, even if done from her basement. I also appreciated how she shared her own personal story.

By Yujin l

Jun 26, 2018

i was not sure if i wanted to take this course at first. that's because the instructor used overly animated tone which turned me off. however, her positive energy kept me going. great content. i would highly recommend this to anyone who seeks for inspirations and strategies for personal growth.