Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK
Feb 24, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

AA
Nov 23, 2020

very informative and insightful on how to use the various models at our disposal to take optimal decision. Also, was nostalgic to go back in time where these models were part of my university degree.

226 - 250 of 409 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Juan P L R

Jun 24, 2018

Very good course. Complete, useful and practical.

By David A

Nov 13, 2019

Really nice introduction to a variety of models.

By Jonas P

Sep 26, 2020

Nice course that learn us to think by ourselves

By Norman P

Aug 22, 2020

Great course. Well done. Practical application.

By Zeynep T

Oct 12, 2017

Quite interesting topic. Well-organized notes.

By Elke W

Mar 24, 2016

Great introductory course to expand your mind.

By Zach D

Apr 4, 2020

Really enjoyed the professor and the content.

By Tony N

Feb 16, 2020

Probably the best online course I have taken!

By Li M

Oct 30, 2019

This course is very informative and inspiring

By Michal P

Sep 6, 2017

Very engaging and super fun - just amazing!!!

By Nadim M

May 22, 2020

Really a great course and a great professor!

By Alfa T

Nov 16, 2020

Amazing topics, very useful in daily life !

By Peter V

May 6, 2020

Excellent course. Would strongly recommend.

By Ning C

Nov 6, 2016

It's an awesome course! Learned a lot here.

By Ryan M F

Nov 3, 2015

Haven't done it yet but I love it. Vamanos.

By Elias

Oct 14, 2015

Excellent teaching and material

Thanks Scott

By 吉星照

Jan 11, 2020

The yeacher is so kind,patient and wise.

By Hamidreza M A

Feb 23, 2016

A great job that professor Page is doing.

By Angelos S

Jul 24, 2020

Best online course I have ever attended.

By Zephyr L

Sep 4, 2017

Great coverage on how to model a system!

By Ton v O

May 30, 2019

Excellent, learn a lot and entertaining

By Audie D

Nov 11, 2017

Changes the way you think about models

By Adrian A

Jan 29, 2017

Simply excellent from start to finish.

By Steven B

Dec 19, 2016

Excellent in depth course on modelling

By Chomay C

Sep 4, 2020

Model Thinking is an excellent course