Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK
Feb 24, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

AA
Nov 23, 2020

very informative and insightful on how to use the various models at our disposal to take optimal decision. Also, was nostalgic to go back in time where these models were part of my university degree.

251 - 275 of 409 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Alejandro J

Mar 1, 2020

Very interesting, clear and useful.

By Islam A E

Dec 2, 2015

Brilliant subject, awesome teacher!

By Dzmitry P

Dec 10, 2016

Love this course! Thank you a lot!

By Fadhilah S K G

Nov 24, 2015

very useful and interesting course

By Noha A A

Oct 8, 2016

Very informative and interesting!

By Xue, L

Jun 17, 2018

great course, inspires me a lot

By Ricardo M d F

Jul 16, 2017

Curso bem inovador, parabéns!!!

By Massimo Z

May 24, 2017

Useful and well done.

By 邱暉凱

Sep 1, 2020

It's great but a bit too easy

By Patrick P

Aug 2, 2020

I wish I could take it again!

By Marko M

Aug 30, 2018

Great and interesting course!

By Konstantinos M

Mar 20, 2017

Probably my favourite course.

By Pete S

Jul 9, 2016

Scott E Page is totally cool!

By Wael E

May 8, 2016

Fantastic, I love this course

By Ludo A S

Mar 19, 2019

Essential for everyday life!

By Rafia N

Jan 13, 2016

This course is just amazing.

By Hasan R C

Jul 4, 2019

Wonderful course,

Thank you.

By Aspasia L

Dec 14, 2020

Just Excellent. Thank You!

By Pedro P

Jun 6, 2017

Complete and very usefull.

By Muhamed A M S A ( D - B A

Dec 4, 2020

think you for this course

By Panshul R

Jun 19, 2020

Quizzes could be improved

By PALLAV N

Jun 10, 2020

Excellent course by Scott

By conanar

Dec 6, 2016

It really opened my mind.

By Mateusz S

Dec 10, 2020

Well, learn the program!

By Alvin B

Nov 10, 2020

This course is so great!