Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

251 - 275 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By 李培春

Oct 09, 2016

The teacher is witty. It's a great course, but more mathematical calculating would be better.

By Vince L

Jun 02, 2017

Dr. Page provides engaging and informative lectures, explaining models I've found useful in my work and personal life. I enjoyed the readings, lectures, and quizzes in this course although I found the content around week 8 or so dragged a bit for me (could've just been fatigue). I have and gladly would recommend this course. I've enrolled in a NetLogo course on Agent-Based Modelling to supplement what I learned here.

By Adem A

Sep 06, 2016

T

By Nikita V

Feb 19, 2016

One of the greatest courses on MOOC! The only thing which is still hard to handle with is the temp of speech of the tutor. :)

By Sid R

Jan 28, 2016

Love it! This is my first foray into model thinking. I wish there is a better way to say thanks to Professor Page.

By Luiz C d P W F

Apr 04, 2017

Ver

By Andrew C

Jun 29, 2017

An fascinating but difficult course, especially if you are just doing it out of interest rather than having a background in the subject. There is a fair bit of maths which isn't difficult but is rather swept over if you haven't done any for the last 30 years!

By Mahmudul H

Jun 28, 2018

good

By Nick M W

Mar 07, 2016

S

By Vishnu U

Apr 01, 2016

Gives perspective to the decisions people take

By Albert N

Oct 24, 2017

The main takeway for me is the ability to understand complex models

By Luuk T

Jan 16, 2016

Contributed to making me a clearer thinker and was a good refreshment of material from my MSc Business Administration.

By Kirk r

Sep 14, 2017

Good class. A little topical, I would have liked more time Net Logo.

By Pietro P

Jun 09, 2016

I think it is terrific course - it is just right for me

By Michel D

Oct 10, 2015

I wasn't planning to follow the whole course and doing assessment and homework. It end up being a good learning and I watched most of the videos. I skipped known information and skimmed to relatively familiar ones / or when there was too much examples. I understand the course was built for common denominator student. Thanks for making this free course. It's much appreciated. - Michel

By Gustavo

Aug 30, 2017

Great learning tool. Thank you!

By Chandra S T

Sep 15, 2016

I think everyone should take this course although some of the lectures are hard

By Roberto G R

Dec 27, 2015

This course is both very instructive and fun. The professor covers a lot of interesting topics. It would be better if he speaks a little bit slower, so the non native English speakers like me can understand all he is saying.

By Christopher A

Jan 10, 2016

Very interesting course. It isn't a hard course whatsoever but the concepts you learn are very fundamental and can be applied in so many domains. Very important to be a well rounded thinker.

By Ratheesh P

Jan 14, 2016

Excellent

By Dmitry U

Feb 28, 2016

The course focus is broad and instructor is great. However, some particular models have been described too general, e.g. the lectures on Lyapunov functions had no connection to the ODEs and other mathematical phenomena.

By Milind G

Dec 31, 2015

A must do course for everyone.. It's a rejoinder to all those who say that what you learn in schools/colleges is of no use in practical life.

By James K

Oct 08, 2015

Demanding but very enlightening course

By Les S

Nov 26, 2016

This is a a really good intro course. As a short introduction to lots of different models, you come away with a full appreciation of how the reduction of the complex into simple models can advance your thinking, help better understand why people make the choices they do and make sense of situations that otherwise would be obscure. The only reason this is not a five-star rating is because there are a few points in the class where there is a break in the logic (i.e. a missing piece) and there are slides and text below the video that contain typos or mistakes. Individually, none of these are a big deal, but collectively, they take the professionalism down a notch.

By Federico P

Sep 25, 2017

Nice course, but lacks depth.