Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

251 - 275 of 317 Reviews for Model Thinking

Sep 11, 2017

best

By Sergio A C

Oct 23, 2016

good

By Bigfoot

Jun 18, 2016

Oct 21, 2015

A

By Andreas S

Dec 30, 2019

Scott E. Page has conducted a great online course on Model Thinking that helps in order to be an more intelligent citizen of the world, to make us clearer, better thinkers and sort out logical inconsistencies by using models, to better understand data as well as to better to decide, strategize, and design. The lecture style of Mr. Page is very entertaining, calm, pleasurable and congenial - he explains very good and is able to get complex and abstract things to the point and makes them transferable to the real world. Some issues are related to the transcript or material style and some smaller errors, for example. Anyways: Thank you very much, Mr. Page. I would appreciate working with you and visiting other lectures.

By Les S

Nov 26, 2016

This is a a really good intro course. As a short introduction to lots of different models, you come away with a full appreciation of how the reduction of the complex into simple models can advance your thinking, help better understand why people make the choices they do and make sense of situations that otherwise would be obscure. The only reason this is not a five-star rating is because there are a few points in the class where there is a break in the logic (i.e. a missing piece) and there are slides and text below the video that contain typos or mistakes. Individually, none of these are a big deal, but collectively, they take the professionalism down a notch.

By Pavlo V

Aug 08, 2017

The course is interesting as it shows some new ways of thinking. It has some fun models which seem to be interesting to play with. The concepts given in the course may be used in many different ways. Nevertheless, too much time of the course is wasted on simple calculations like 1/3+1/3 = 2/3 which doesn't help to undrestand the concepts or to memorise them. Some practice in building own models would make the course more difficult maybe, but funnier and more memorable for sure.

By Vince L

Jun 02, 2017

Dr. Page provides engaging and informative lectures, explaining models I've found useful in my work and personal life. I enjoyed the readings, lectures, and quizzes in this course although I found the content around week 8 or so dragged a bit for me (could've just been fatigue). I have and gladly would recommend this course. I've enrolled in a NetLogo course on Agent-Based Modelling to supplement what I learned here.

By Michel D

Oct 10, 2015

I wasn't planning to follow the whole course and doing assessment and homework. It end up being a good learning and I watched most of the videos. I skipped known information and skimmed to relatively familiar ones / or when there was too much examples. I understand the course was built for common denominator student. Thanks for making this free course. It's much appreciated. - Michel

By Mario J S C

Dec 07, 2015

Contents of the course are very diverse, clearly changes your way and ability to identify patterns, and fit real world in to models to extract additional information ...

It does not have a very in depth, description about most models, but enough to understand them, because there are so many different concepts that are fit together ...

Its an excellent introductory course to models.

By Gehazi R d S B

May 19, 2019

This is a very comprehensive course of modeling, with excellent explanations, slides, readings and exercises. However, it's heavy based on rational economic models and intuition. This approach can be a barrier if you have come from a less deductive background like Behavioral and Biological Sciences.

By Xavier

Jul 20, 2017

I rate 4 stars for the originality of the theme of his course ... not really an academic thing as far as I know. Doesn't get a 5 stars because I would have wished something more formal and rigorous. Indeed many models are covered and the lack of proper definitions make some concepts "blurred"