Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

276 - 297 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By zhangmutanxi

Mar 21, 2016

great

By Xavier

Jul 20, 2017

I rate 4 stars for the originality of the theme of his course ... not really an academic thing as far as I know. Doesn't get a 5 stars because I would have wished something more formal and rigorous. Indeed many models are covered and the lack of proper definitions make some concepts "blurred"

By Karel G

Oct 25, 2016

Great introduction.

By Toke S

Mar 27, 2016

I found this course very educational and i feel brighter after finishing.

Modelthinking helps me to interpret the world and my surroundings.

By Pavlo V

Aug 08, 2017

The course is interesting as it shows some new ways of thinking. It has some fun models which seem to be interesting to play with. The concepts given in the course may be used in many different ways. Nevertheless, too much time of the course is wasted on simple calculations like 1/3+1/3 = 2/3 which doesn't help to undrestand the concepts or to memorise them. Some practice in building own models would make the course more difficult maybe, but funnier and more memorable for sure.

By Mario J S C

Dec 07, 2015

Contents of the course are very diverse, clearly changes your way and ability to identify patterns, and fit real world in to models to extract additional information ...

It does not have a very in depth, description about most models, but enough to understand them, because there are so many different concepts that are fit together ...

Its an excellent introductory course to models.

By Piotr k

Oct 25, 2015

Great course to built basic skills.

By Marek L

Sep 23, 2016

Very good!

By 周福南

Apr 22, 2019

中文字幕有一点问题,其他都还好。能开阔视野,收集到很多思维模型。

By Gehazi R d S B

May 19, 2019

This is a very comprehensive course of modeling, with excellent explanations, slides, readings and exercises. However, it's heavy based on rational economic models and intuition. This approach can be a barrier if you have come from a less deductive background like Behavioral and Biological Sciences.

By Bokarev N

Aug 31, 2019

This course let me unserstand basic things about models, I think it was the target of this one. I would prefer to have more mathematics, more depth, but I think it is perfect for beginners, all topics in this course are quite easy understandable for the majority of people. Thank you!

By Venugopal B

Nov 14, 2019

Good introduction to the material. But don't depend on the lectures / course if you want to go deeper

By kelly d

Nov 27, 2019

Hard, but worth it!

By Gloria M G R

Oct 11, 2019

excelente

By JeromeTang

Nov 11, 2019

Good course to start model thinking. thanks.

By Ioannis K

Aug 13, 2018

Excellent professor but such a huge plethora of models, information, and videos, that really became boring after a while. Still, the professor did his best to elaborate on such a huge topic. Admins should decrease the sessions and weeks

By Milady M

Mar 07, 2017

i would like to see some subtitles in Spanish, to help me understand much better the main idea ! but in generally is so good and helpful!

By Aboud K

Jan 22, 2016

Very long videos

By Hoong W L

Oct 24, 2016

It is interesting and mind opening during the beginning and the middle of the course. Learned some interesting principle.

By Eli M

Mar 14, 2016

There have been some undesirable references to equations, in terms of equating modeling to economic growth and investment. I was interested by the syllabus and its outline of theories and the means to use models to study social sciences and systems sciences. After week 1, though, it was not a very interesting course so I considered trying to simply survey most of the videos to gain some more information, not necessarily for any more insight from the Professor from the University of Michigan.

By Ryan K

Feb 14, 2017

Cons:

-Too dated - links to many of the materials are unavailable.

-Instructors knowledge of some the models he cover is questionable (regression)

Pros:

-Covers a lot of materials

By Ravi C

Nov 26, 2015

too much theory and not nearly enough practical models that I can use in my life or work. Disappointed so much of the class was spent on describing many different models instead of focusing on ones that can be applied readily.