Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

26 - 50 of 298 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Ritayan B

Jun 25, 2016

I found this to be extremely interesting. This is the course that you savour every second of. Both content and delivery are superlative. Highly recommended if you have any clue of what models are all about.

By Clemens S

Jun 08, 2016

Succinct, useful in day to day life, easy to understand and yet complex. A great course I would recommend to everybody (and frequently do recommend).

By TRACE F

Feb 05, 2016

Great course covering modeling techniques and perspective!

By Danilo B S

Jan 19, 2017

Excellent course, it helps understanding the world around us and creating logical ways to solve complex problems.

By 庄宇州

Oct 07, 2015

It’s really funny,and we can learn a lot from this course,even without any awareness.Just a few words that we cannot get it indeed frustrated us.

By Taffy E

Jan 06, 2016

Excellent course. Even just the first two weeks are worth 5 stars. The math can be intimidating later on. Take what works for you!!

By Omprakash G G

Nov 27, 2015

Great breadth and appropriate depth facilitating easy grasp

By 米建

Feb 05, 2016

this is a excellent course that helps you inproving your thinking quality.

By Alan Z

Jun 08, 2016

Very cool course shows me how to model many real world examples, tons of modeling techniques, and most importantly, how to think inde

By 李俊

Dec 12, 2016

This course really informs us a great idea ----- the value of a model

By Fabian C

Nov 17, 2015

Simply excellent!

By Santiago M

Aug 26, 2016

great people

By Hristo V

Sep 21, 2017

Fantastic course! Really nice introduction to models!

By Juan P L R

Jun 24, 2018

Very good course. Complete, useful and practical.

By Nabiha S

Apr 08, 2016

Very useful in getting to know or getting started in modelling.

By Mawabo M

Dec 23, 2015

I have a Masters degree and until I took this MOOC I had somehow gotten used to the ridiculous notion that I had learned everything that I needed to know. I am pleasantly amazed at how much I still don't know and I am very excited to learn more. I have even started reading journal articles by Page and Zellner because I am very facinated by the models shown to me in this course.

Thank you very much for making this material available.

By Ioan

Jan 30, 2016

Very good.

By 박성준

Oct 26, 2015

HIS speak

By Andrey R

May 24, 2017

This course is a great introduction to simple but useful models. The prominent feature of the course is an intuition and practical examples based one the models provided. Many thanks!

By Denerson D P M

Jun 25, 2018

Excelente curso para desenvolver modelos analíticos que vão muito além do senso comum, de forma estruturada e crítica, a partir de dados e inferências estatísticas, matemáticas e sócio-comportamentais.

By Nas Y

Oct 17, 2016

This is a course for anyone who wants to be able to think logically. As an IT professional I would recommend this course to my colleagues in the Information Technology field.

By Susan M