Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

76 - 100 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Rajvardhan D

Nov 09, 2017

Great material and clear explanations with a lot of relevant examples

By Peter M

Jul 11, 2016

What a refreshing portfolio of perspectives on modelling! This course answered a lot of questions that I've been accumulating overtime in the 'unanswered' log in my brain. Doing this course felt like a long overdue spring clean.

By Aleksey E

Oct 21, 2017

Great course, thanks.

By Esteban G

Apr 28, 2017

Great!

By Gustavo S d S

Apr 02, 2018

Great professor and resources, relevant concepts about different Thinking Models, Markov, Lyapunov, Blotto, Linear, Categorial, Nash Equilibrium, Paretto Efficiency, etc.

Useful to apply on workplace and daily life as well...

By Mark

Jun 09, 2016

This course is simply AMAZING!!! Thank you Michigan University, & Mr. Scott for your meticulous efforts in bringing to the world quality education in the most simplified pattern!!! Kuddos to Coursera!!!

By yinyue171

Nov 25, 2016

very nice.

By Marta K

Jun 06, 2017

An eye opening walk through different models that govern our lives, both personal, political, social, economic and... [insert any industry, academic discipline]. It'll help you become a more rational person, pay attention to fallacies and patterns that appear around us. Might also turn you into a selfish bot evaluating everything rationally, unless that's just me ;-)

By Rafia N

Jan 13, 2016

This course is just amazing.

By Cliff S

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course, wide scale application, highly recommend.

Also :

-clear presentation

-no technical issues with quizzes or content issues

By Yuan X

May 02, 2016

A+

By Balint P

Jan 31, 2017

Very useful and engaging course in general! There were a lot of interesting parts in it. Especially, because it showed that the "many model thinking" is a useful "tool" in various fields of life. There were some trivial parts/ lectures, but it was still useful to go back to some basics for deeper understanding. Scott Page was also a great lecturer and I liked the whole structure of the course. Thanks for the great course, keep up the good work!

By Danilo M F

Jun 04, 2017

Excellent professor, meaningful insights and great course! Extremely recommended!

By Christian B

Dec 05, 2017

awesome

By Zina P

Jun 27, 2018

This course is changing the way I looked at analytics and modeling for businesses. Great experience.

By 李勇

May 16, 2018

An extraodinary course!

By Julius G

Apr 08, 2018

This is a great introduction to the types and uses of models. The lectures are clear, and the examples given show good applicability to real world problems. Thanks for making it available!

By alexpazsoldan

Feb 13, 2016

Scott Page does a great job explaining the use of models. In this course you will get an overview of a lot of different models, how to use them, how to construct them and why models are so useful.

The world of the minde and thoughts...at it's best

By Michal P

Sep 06, 2017

Very engaging and super fun - just amazing!!!

By Igor I

May 23, 2017

Great Course!

I first took this course in 2012, very first time it appear on Coursera, and it was mind blowing. It really made me a better thinker, open my eyes on some issues and let me look on those issues from a model point of view. Fun thing happen in 2012 - I was graduating from university in my hometown, and a question on my final goverment exam (I don't know if there such thing in other countries) was about Innovation and Solow growth model. And coincidentially I learn about this model from Professor's Page course, just before my exam. I really liked the simple way he explained it. So I was able to show the Final Exam Commission that I not just learn the material, but understant it and can argue about it. They really liked my answer and arguments and gave me a highest grade.

I re-took this course in 2013 and now in 2017. The concepts about diversity and how it help produce a better result, cooperation games etc. is getting more and more useful nowadays (I think). If only more people could understand it, we'd be able not only be a better citizens of the world, but make the world a better place.

Scott E. Page is a great teacher, would be glad to meet him in person.

Big Thanks to Professor Page, University of Michigan and Coursera for providing this great Course. Recommend it to everyone!