Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

101 - 125 of 339 Reviews for Model Thinking

By EDUARDO M

Oct 05, 2019

Excelente curso. Aprendí bastante de los tipos de modelos que existen las realidades en las que se pueden aplicar y cómo aplicarlos. Sigan así!

By Aloys F T

Jun 28, 2016

My favorite course of all time.. It has a lot of interesting concepts and a fascinating perspective on this weird thing the world/society is.

By Aelita M

Nov 30, 2015

A comprehensive course that goes into different areas of science to demonstrate why and how modeling is used. Fun to watch and very clear!

By krishna m

Jun 28, 2019

Excellent course to understand how to use different models to think and make decisions, in general and in a work setting, in particular.

By Cliff S

Sep 19, 2016

Excellent course, wide scale application, highly recommend.

Also :

-clear presentation

-no technical issues with quizzes or content issues

By Armand R

Apr 09, 2016

Eye-opening cross-disciplinary program with an outstanding teacher. Cannot be better, thank you Internet for bringing this to everyone.

By Alan Z

Jun 08, 2016

Very cool course shows me how to model many real world examples, tons of modeling techniques, and most importantly, how to think inde

By Emily M

Jan 04, 2016

This course is brilliant. Organised, well paced and has really consolidated the direction of study I would like to pursue. Thank you!

By Şükrü B

Jun 02, 2017

This was one of the best courses I've taken so far. Thanks for providing this great material and information to students worldwide.

By Taffy E

Jan 06, 2016

Excellent course. Even just the first two weeks are worth 5 stars. The math can be intimidating later on. Take what works for you!!

By Otávio B d S S

Jun 02, 2019

Really great course. Thanks University of Michigan and Professor Scott Page for sharing such interesting material with us. Bests!

By İsmail k

Nov 12, 2019

It was great introductory course to the awesome world of models. I've enjoyed and learned a lot. Thanks Coursera and Prof. Page.

By Ugo Z

Oct 30, 2019

I enjoy a lot the contents and the way this course is taught. It certainly delivers its promises and it does that with a smile.

By Bart H J

May 01, 2019

If you're interested in thinking more accurately, this course exposes you to a variety of models to help with that. Terrific!

By Godwin K

Oct 22, 2016

Broad & Simple to follow - some basic math is required. Many models introduced and extremenly useful to have in your toolbox.

By Din K

Mar 16, 2019

Very good introduction to model thinking. Thanks for providing this free course and the excellent delivery from Scott Page.

By Ellen P

Oct 23, 2016

I definitely will recommend it to some other friends! It made me understood much better with great and detailed examples.

By Jinghao C

May 22, 2016

It is a great class. Please keep moving on if you could not understand some sections. You will get it in future sections.

By Соколова Д А

Dec 07, 2017

Super informative and in some cases even entertaining.This course helped me to look at our lives from a different poi

By Lim K B J

May 04, 2020

Excellent course , very clear lectures by Professor Scott and an intellectual course. Learned a lot and thank you !

By Adrià C A

May 24, 2019

Really useful course. Recommended to everyone who want to be introduced to models and acquire a new way of thinking.

By 任喆

Oct 03, 2016

I would love to watch the videos again! They are helpful and you will find that they can be used in your daily life.

By Artem S

Nov 04, 2015

Excellent overview of a wide variety of models with nice and easy tasks and great examples of real life application.

By Danilo B S

Jan 19, 2017

Excellent course, it helps understanding the world around us and creating logical ways to solve complex problems.

By Avi

Apr 23, 2019

A truly exceptional course with a passionate lecturer. I do not hesitate in recommending this course to anyone.