Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

101 - 125 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By stephenli

Feb 20, 2016

great course, interesting , many new perspective over worlds

By Michael C

Mar 18, 2016

Very good and inspiring course. It teaches around 20 different models, not overwhelming you with math but giving you nonetheless a good and solid introduction. Also, the reading material is really good.

By Zhanwen.Han

Aug 29, 2016

very good for beginner. if speaking speed can slow a little, will be nicer!

By Iaroslav F

Mar 20, 2016

I started to better understand stuff and processes.

By Nuno S

May 04, 2016

Brilliant!

By alexpazsoldan

Feb 13, 2016

Scott Page does a great job explaining the use of models. In this course you will get an overview of a lot of different models, how to use them, how to construct them and why models are so useful.

The world of the minde and thoughts...at it's best

By Jakub K

May 09, 2017

fantastic

By Jaideep S

Feb 02, 2016

Loving this course so far, eager and excited to continue it and finish very soon. A great addition of analytical frameworks and management strategies to add to my toolkit.

By Eric W

Jan 19, 2017

This course blew my mind week after week. Professor Page's excitement for the topic combined with an amazing ability to communicate clearly and concisely made this an awesome 12 week journey. The double edge of the course is that after 11 weeks my brain is carrying so many new models, it can be hard to keep them straight ... that's what practice and refreshing is for. Awesome class!

By Xin L

May 25, 2017

It is a valuable course that can help you grab new perspectives of thoughts on different kinds of things no matter it is regarding to economics, sociology, psychology or ecology. Comparing to other entry level courses, it is not an easy one but you can learn a lot from it.

By Nguyen A V

Dec 21, 2015

It is a very interesting course. The lecture is easy to understand and the lecturer is very friendly. I got a lot of interesting and useful knowledge not only for my jobs but also for my life. Thank you very much!

By Ricardo M d F

Jul 16, 2017

Curso bem inovador, parabéns!!!

By Filipe G

Jan 04, 2016

Really good. Fantastic overview.

For my taste it was a bit too easy and it could have gone more in depth in some topics. But I understand the need to keep it general also.

By Inga U

Mar 17, 2016

S

By Emily M

Jan 04, 2016

This course is brilliant. Organised, well paced and has really consolidated the direction of study I would like to pursue. Thank you!

By Gladstone M A J

Mar 19, 2018

The message that models are a very good way of thinking about the world is not mere rhetoric. It's clearly the best option in the house. This course gives us a overview of some of the more important models that exist. It made me miss my university times, where I learnt most of them in other contexts. It was amazing to study these models again in such a broader view of their application.

Enjoy.

By Seyed M H M

May 19, 2017

I learned alot and Got a grasp of some useful model

By Hengeveld

Jun 25, 2017

very good course i will recommend it to all the people i coach

By Michael O

Oct 17, 2017

Excellent exposition of a variety of mathematical models.

By Балановская В М

Dec 24, 2017

perfect

By Ai

Dec 05, 2017

awesome

By Zina P

Jun 27, 2018

This course is changing the way I looked at analytics and modeling for businesses. Great experience.

By Christian B