Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

126 - 150 of 316 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Derek R

Sep 02, 2018

I learned a variety of models that are applicable to work and real-world situational problems.

By Hongru D

Aug 31, 2018

Very interesting course, after learning these method, it helps me to view the world different.

By Uriel P

May 09, 2018

Lots of interesting and practical models were taught. Definitely gonna take this course again.

By Darik C

Sep 21, 2017

No course helped me in understanding complex systems like this one take the time to learn this

By sukran c

Feb 16, 2018

I certainly advise everyone this course. Thank you for such a good and informative lessons.

By Marco Z

Apr 22, 2018

Very interesting. Especially the part about the game of life and cellular automata models!

By Nolan C

May 15, 2019

Great course. Super interesting from start to finish with excellent real-world examples.

By Thomas M

Nov 07, 2019

Super entertaining and so necessary for critical thinking in an information rich world!

By OJIJO W

Jul 04, 2019

great source of knowledge in models and how they can be used in real problem scenarios.

By KD H

Mar 05, 2019

Great content, well explained, straight to the point without filler.

Excellent teacher.

By Milind G

Dec 20, 2018

Excellent Teaching and Good content for getting an introduction for Model Thinking.

By Fahad A

Jun 22, 2016

It's very interesting course. I'm learning new things that were not noticed before

By Danilo M F

Jun 04, 2017

Excellent professor, meaningful insights and great course! Extremely recommended!

By Brad P

Oct 15, 2018

Great course! I love it so much. thanks for all the hard work done by the team.

By Oscar J D R

Jan 23, 2016

It offers excellent tools so as to understand networks, totally recommended.

By Zhanwen.Han

Aug 29, 2016

very good for beginner. if speaking speed can slow a little, will be nicer!

By Wade A

Mar 06, 2020

Fascinating course. Worth every penny paid and every minute devoted to it.

By 米建

Feb 05, 2016

this is a excellent course that helps you inproving your thinking quality.

By miguel b

Jul 12, 2017

I really love how this course covers this interesting and useful subject.

By Eduardo A S J

Nov 14, 2015

Great course. Useful for a broad range of subjects. Helpful even in life.

By Oliver R S

Aug 17, 2016

love it great general start, gentle introduction in all the right ways

By Kadir Ö

Oct 25, 2015

This course is exellent for whom want to be a leader in their country.

By Xiaoqing C

Mar 14, 2020

Very interesting and really helped me to understand the world better.

By Rajvardhan D

Nov 09, 2017

Great material and clear explanations with a lot of relevant examples

By 李俊

Dec 12, 2016

This course really informs us a great idea ----- the value of a model