Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

126 - 150 of 298 Reviews for Model Thinking

Aug 23, 2017

...

By Rajvardhan D

Nov 09, 2017

Great material and clear explanations with a lot of relevant examples

By Mohammad H E

May 21, 2018

Excellent

By Aleksey E

Oct 21, 2017

Great course, thanks.

By Andres M

Sep 07, 2016

I enjoyed this course a lot; it is very comprehensive and let you gain a lot of perspective through the models discussed in it and how you can apply those.

By Esteban G

Apr 28, 2017

Great!

By IVO R D S

Aug 02, 2017

Curso perfeito!!!

By Elke W

Mar 24, 2016

Great introductory course to expand your mind.

By Callum H

Dec 19, 2017

I took this course at the University of Michigan and used the Coursera version as a study aid. This has been one of the most interesting and thought provoking classes I have taken in my academic career. Thank you Professor Page.

By Henrique d M

May 17, 2017

I learned a lot in this course.

I think it is a essential course to social scientists especially those that are a little lost, don't knowing how they contribute to the wider society.

By Lawrence L

Jun 04, 2017

Very interesting course, gives useful insights into different phenomena observed in the real world.

By Igor I

May 23, 2017

Great Course!

I first took this course in 2012, very first time it appear on Coursera, and it was mind blowing. It really made me a better thinker, open my eyes on some issues and let me look on those issues from a model point of view. Fun thing happen in 2012 - I was graduating from university in my hometown, and a question on my final goverment exam (I don't know if there such thing in other countries) was about Innovation and Solow growth model. And coincidentially I learn about this model from Professor's Page course, just before my exam. I really liked the simple way he explained it. So I was able to show the Final Exam Commission that I not just learn the material, but understant it and can argue about it. They really liked my answer and arguments and gave me a highest grade.

I re-took this course in 2013 and now in 2017. The concepts about diversity and how it help produce a better result, cooperation games etc. is getting more and more useful nowadays (I think). If only more people could understand it, we'd be able not only be a better citizens of the world, but make the world a better place.

Scott E. Page is a great teacher, would be glad to meet him in person.

Big Thanks to Professor Page, University of Michigan and Coursera for providing this great Course. Recommend it to everyone!

By Şükrü B

Jun 02, 2017

This was one of the best courses I've taken so far. Thanks for providing this great material and information to students worldwide.

By Iftikhar A K

Sep 30, 2016

A very good course. Need time to be completed. It should continue on and lectures should be available every time regarless of end of quizez or assignments.

By Olesia S

Feb 05, 2016

Very srtuctored, informative course. Is definitly useful for students from diverse specalties.

By Steven B

Dec 19, 2016

Excellent in depth course on modelling

By Yi D

Jan 28, 2017

Great course for quantitative social science, focusing on modeling. I recommend anyone who are interested in social science to take it to know something beyond the traditional reasoning method. I really think quantitative is the future of social science though it is not mature enough. Anyway, this course gives a great introduction, and the content is plenty.

By Eduardo A S J

Nov 14, 2015

Great course. Useful for a broad range of subjects. Helpful even in life.

By Karthikeyan S

Mar 28, 2016

Excellent course. Great professor. Really enjoying the course

By frank y

Mar 19, 2016

Very inspiring! Brings me into a whole new world, to look at things from brand new perspective.

I love this course and would like to be posted on any update on this subject.

By Gokul K

Feb 25, 2017

By Shahnawaz S

Feb 19, 2017

The instructor does a very good job in explaining difficult concepts and is amazing in his teaching ..

By Rishi

Oct 12, 2015

Amazing Course.

By 任喆

Oct 03, 2016

I would love to watch the videos again! They are helpful and you will find that they can be used in your daily life.