Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

276 - 300 of 319 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Gehazi R d S B

May 19, 2019

This is a very comprehensive course of modeling, with excellent explanations, slides, readings and exercises. However, it's heavy based on rational economic models and intuition. This approach can be a barrier if you have come from a less deductive background like Behavioral and Biological Sciences.

By Xavier

Jul 20, 2017

I rate 4 stars for the originality of the theme of his course ... not really an academic thing as far as I know. Doesn't get a 5 stars because I would have wished something more formal and rigorous. Indeed many models are covered and the lack of proper definitions make some concepts "blurred"

By Bokarev N

Aug 31, 2019

This course let me unserstand basic things about models, I think it was the target of this one. I would prefer to have more mathematics, more depth, but I think it is perfect for beginners, all topics in this course are quite easy understandable for the majority of people. Thank you!

By Andrew C

Jun 29, 2017

An fascinating but difficult course, especially if you are just doing it out of interest rather than having a background in the subject. There is a fair bit of maths which isn't difficult but is rather swept over if you haven't done any for the last 30 years!

By Samuel D

Jan 10, 2020

Broad range of modeling topics covered relatively quickly. Depending on your background, some of the concepts will be more or less difficult to understand. Nice way to familiarize and challenge yourself with new material at the same time.

By Roberto G R

Dec 27, 2015

This course is both very instructive and fun. The professor covers a lot of interesting topics. It would be better if he speaks a little bit slower, so the non native English speakers like me can understand all he is saying.

By Dmitry U

Feb 28, 2016

The course focus is broad and instructor is great. However, some particular models have been described too general, e.g. the lectures on Lyapunov functions had no connection to the ODEs and other mathematical phenomena.

By Christopher A

Jan 10, 2016

Very interesting course. It isn't a hard course whatsoever but the concepts you learn are very fundamental and can be applied in so many domains. Very important to be a well rounded thinker.

By Milind G

Dec 31, 2015

A must do course for everyone.. It's a rejoinder to all those who say that what you learn in schools/colleges is of no use in practical life.

By Toke S

Mar 27, 2016

I found this course very educational and i feel brighter after finishing.

Modelthinking helps me to interpret the world and my surroundings.

By George T M

Feb 25, 2019

Model Thinking by the University of Michigan makes one a better thinker and helps one to understand practical situations using models.

By Nikita V

Feb 19, 2016

One of the greatest courses on MOOC! The only thing which is still hard to handle with is the temp of speech of the tutor. :)

By Luuk T

Jan 16, 2016

Contributed to making me a clearer thinker and was a good refreshment of material from my MSc Business Administration.

By Sid R

Jan 28, 2016

Love it! This is my first foray into model thinking. I wish there is a better way to say thanks to Professor Page.

By Venugopal B

Nov 14, 2019

Good introduction to the material. But don't depend on the lectures / course if you want to go deeper

By 李培春

Oct 09, 2016

The teacher is witty. It's a great course, but more mathematical calculating would be better.

By Chandra S T

Sep 15, 2016

I think everyone should take this course although some of the lectures are hard

By Kirk r

Sep 14, 2017

Good class. A little topical, I would have liked more time Net Logo.

By Albert N

Oct 24, 2017

The main takeway for me is the ability to understand complex models

By Ross T J

Jan 18, 2020

Pretty good course. The book is also very interesting.

By Pietro P

Jun 09, 2016

I think it is terrific course - it is just right for me

By Roland v L

Feb 09, 2018

Very interesting material, lectures were a bore.

By Vishnu U

Apr 01, 2016

Gives perspective to the decisions people take

By JeromeTang

Nov 11, 2019

Good course to start model thinking. thanks.

By James K

Oct 08, 2015

Demanding but very enlightening course