Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

126 - 150 of 381 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Murshida M

Sep 21, 2020

A very fun and comprehensive course. Helps you to look at the world with a better and a much clearer perspective using models.

By Bart H J

May 01, 2019

If you're interested in thinking more accurately, this course exposes you to a variety of models to help with that. Terrific!

By Godwin K

Oct 22, 2016

Broad & Simple to follow - some basic math is required. Many models introduced and extremenly useful to have in your toolbox.

By Din K

Mar 16, 2019

Very good introduction to model thinking. Thanks for providing this free course and the excellent delivery from Scott Page.

By Ellen P

Oct 23, 2016

I definitely will recommend it to some other friends! It made me understood much better with great and detailed examples.

By Jinghao C

May 22, 2016

It is a great class. Please keep moving on if you could not understand some sections. You will get it in future sections.

By Соколова Д А

Dec 07, 2017

Super informative and in some cases even entertaining.This course helped me to look at our lives from a different poi

By Lim K B J

May 04, 2020

Excellent course , very clear lectures by Professor Scott and an intellectual course. Learned a lot and thank you !

By Adrià C A

May 24, 2019

Really useful course. Recommended to everyone who want to be introduced to models and acquire a new way of thinking.

By 任喆

Oct 03, 2016

I would love to watch the videos again! They are helpful and you will find that they can be used in your daily life.

By Artem S

Nov 04, 2015

Excellent overview of a wide variety of models with nice and easy tasks and great examples of real life application.

By Danilo B S

Jan 19, 2017

Excellent course, it helps understanding the world around us and creating logical ways to solve complex problems.

By Avi

Apr 23, 2019

A truly exceptional course with a passionate lecturer. I do not hesitate in recommending this course to anyone.

By Ashwin P

Nov 07, 2015

This is an awesome course. Just would like to have some advanced courses that discuss creation of more models.

By John H

Dec 22, 2018

Best high level modeling course! The course uses Interesting important examples for each category of model.

By Scott H

A great introduction to various models and how to use them as a grounding to understanding complex systems.

By Alex L

Oct 28, 2015

Scott E is wonderful to learn from! Very exciting and interesting material, worth taking the deep dive!

By Shahnawaz S

Feb 19, 2017

The instructor does a very good job in explaining difficult concepts and is amazing in his teaching ..

By Zina P

Jun 27, 2018

This course is changing the way I looked at analytics and modeling for businesses. Great experience.

By Lawrence L

Jun 04, 2017

Very interesting course, gives useful insights into different phenomena observed in the real world.

By Reza

Jun 13, 2018

Excellent introduction to the world of models - lots of insights and new ways to look at the world

By Shakhawat U B

May 14, 2020

Truly something great! Learnt a lot from this course, and would apply these to my personal life!

By kim c

Sep 04, 2016

this course keeps the basic line for thinking on platform. And the You can get the Idea of resol

By Eduardo H M

Jun 10, 2020

Unfolds different way to understand and approach great diversity of problems , awesome course!

By Sarvesh S

Apr 04, 2020

Excellent course which enhances critical thinking and helps in decision making based on models.