Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

AA
Nov 23, 2020

very informative and insightful on how to use the various models at our disposal to take optimal decision. Also, was nostalgic to go back in time where these models were part of my university degree.

YK
Apr 6, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

201 - 225 of 415 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Nabiha S

Apr 8, 2016

Very useful in getting to know or getting started in modelling.

By Tibet

Apr 23, 2020

Very explanatory entrance level of modeling. Great instructor!

By Hengeveld

Jun 25, 2017

very good course i will recommend it to all the people i coach

By fiona c

Jul 6, 2016

Clear concise and very interesting. I can't believe it's free

By Karthikeyan S

Mar 28, 2016

Excellent course. Great professor. Really enjoying the course

By Mohamed Y

Feb 16, 2016

This is one of the best courses I have ever take in thinking.

By Jatin B

Jul 27, 2020

This was an amazing course. helped me learn a lot of models.

By stephenli

Feb 19, 2016

great course, interesting , many new perspective over worlds

By Mohammad A

Brilliant course. It will change the way you see the world!

By Aman G

Mar 4, 2018

Great course! This can help you in making better decisions.

By Omprakash G G

Nov 27, 2015

Great breadth and appropriate depth facilitating easy grasp

By TRACE F

Feb 5, 2016

Great course covering modeling techniques and perspective!

By Michael O

Oct 17, 2017

Excellent exposition of a variety of mathematical models.

By Rifqi F

Sep 5, 2020

Fantastic Course! Scientifically robust in a humble way

By Yeedubilli S

Mar 15, 2020

I learnt new things like how to see things in a new way

By Alvin L

Nov 17, 2020

Great course about using model to make better decision

By Abel

Jul 21, 2017

A impressive course that changed my perspective a lot!

By Vijayshree M

Jan 15, 2020

Very Good course with right pace and challenge for me

By Hristo V

Sep 21, 2017

Fantastic course! Really nice introduction to models!

By Dennis A

Jul 9, 2016

Presenter is excellent, subject matter is fascinating

By Sarah L F

Mar 16, 2020

This course allows you to see the world differently.

By SUN W

Feb 18, 2019

This is a very informative course, highly recommend!

By Seyed M H M

May 19, 2017

I learned alot and Got a grasp of some useful model

By Iaroslav F

Mar 20, 2016

I started to better understand stuff and processes.

By Dan F

Nov 2, 2018

I still refer back to this. Invaluable. Brilliant.