Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

YK

Apr 07, 2018

The course presents a multitude of models that enable us to analyze human and systems behavior and interactions. By making implicit assumptions explicit we can understand real world processes better.

251 - 275 of 297 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Federico P

Sep 25, 2017

Nice course, but lacks depth.

By Dmitry U

Feb 28, 2016

The course focus is broad and instructor is great. However, some particular models have been described too general, e.g. the lectures on Lyapunov functions had no connection to the ODEs and other mathematical phenomena.

By Milind G

Dec 31, 2015

A must do course for everyone.. It's a rejoinder to all those who say that what you learn in schools/colleges is of no use in practical life.

By Luuk T

Jan 16, 2016

Contributed to making me a clearer thinker and was a good refreshment of material from my MSc Business Administration.

By Kirk r

Sep 14, 2017

Good class. A little topical, I would have liked more time Net Logo.

By Pietro P

Jun 09, 2016

I think it is terrific course - it is just right for me

By Michel D

Oct 10, 2015

I wasn't planning to follow the whole course and doing assessment and homework. It end up being a good learning and I watched most of the videos. I skipped known information and skimmed to relatively familiar ones / or when there was too much examples. I understand the course was built for common denominator student. Thanks for making this free course. It's much appreciated. - Michel

By Gustavo

Aug 30, 2017

Great learning tool. Thank you!

By Chandra S T

Sep 15, 2016

I think everyone should take this course although some of the lectures are hard

By Roberto G R

Dec 27, 2015

This course is both very instructive and fun. The professor covers a lot of interesting topics. It would be better if he speaks a little bit slower, so the non native English speakers like me can understand all he is saying.

By Christopher A

Jan 10, 2016

Very interesting course. It isn't a hard course whatsoever but the concepts you learn are very fundamental and can be applied in so many domains. Very important to be a well rounded thinker.

By Ratheesh P

Jan 14, 2016

Excellent

By zhangmutanxi

Mar 21, 2016

great

By Xavier

Jul 20, 2017

I rate 4 stars for the originality of the theme of his course ... not really an academic thing as far as I know. Doesn't get a 5 stars because I would have wished something more formal and rigorous. Indeed many models are covered and the lack of proper definitions make some concepts "blurred"

By Karel G

Oct 25, 2016

Great introduction.

By Toke S

Mar 27, 2016

I found this course very educational and i feel brighter after finishing.

Modelthinking helps me to interpret the world and my surroundings.

By Nikita V

Feb 19, 2016

One of the greatest courses on MOOC! The only thing which is still hard to handle with is the temp of speech of the tutor. :)

By Sid R

Jan 28, 2016

Love it! This is my first foray into model thinking. I wish there is a better way to say thanks to Professor Page.

By Luiz C d P W F

Apr 04, 2017

Ver

By Andrew C

Jun 29, 2017

An fascinating but difficult course, especially if you are just doing it out of interest rather than having a background in the subject. There is a fair bit of maths which isn't difficult but is rather swept over if you haven't done any for the last 30 years!

By Pavlo V

Aug 08, 2017

The course is interesting as it shows some new ways of thinking. It has some fun models which seem to be interesting to play with. The concepts given in the course may be used in many different ways. Nevertheless, too much time of the course is wasted on simple calculations like 1/3+1/3 = 2/3 which doesn't help to undrestand the concepts or to memorise them. Some practice in building own models would make the course more difficult maybe, but funnier and more memorable for sure.

By Mario J S C

Dec 07, 2015

Contents of the course are very diverse, clearly changes your way and ability to identify patterns, and fit real world in to models to extract additional information ...

It does not have a very in depth, description about most models, but enough to understand them, because there are so many different concepts that are fit together ...

Its an excellent introductory course to models.

By Piotr k

Oct 25, 2015

Great course to built basic skills.

By Marek L