Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK

Feb 25, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

RK

Nov 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course that I would recommend to anyone interested in learning how to think better. It introduced me to many topics that i want to learn more about. Thank you, Professor Page!

276 - 300 of 305 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Chandra S T

Sep 15, 2016

I think everyone should take this course although some of the lectures are hard

By Kirk r

Sep 14, 2017

Good class. A little topical, I would have liked more time Net Logo.

By Albert N

Oct 24, 2017

The main takeway for me is the ability to understand complex models

By Pietro P

Jun 09, 2016

I think it is terrific course - it is just right for me

By Roland v L

Feb 09, 2018

Very interesting material, lectures were a bore.

By Vishnu U

Apr 01, 2016

Gives perspective to the decisions people take

By JeromeTang

Nov 11, 2019

Good course to start model thinking. thanks.

By James K

Oct 08, 2015

Demanding but very enlightening course

By Piotr k

Oct 25, 2015

Great course to built basic skills.

By 周福南

Apr 22, 2019

中文字幕有一点问题,其他都还好。能开阔视野,收集到很多思维模型。

By Gustavo

Aug 30, 2017

Great learning tool. Thank you!

By Federico P

Sep 25, 2017

Nice course, but lacks depth.

By Ed K

Mar 21, 2016

great

By Mahmudul H

Jun 28, 2018

good

By Luiz C d P W F

Apr 04, 2017

Mar 07, 2016

S

By Ioannis K

Aug 13, 2018

Excellent professor but such a huge plethora of models, information, and videos, that really became boring after a while. Still, the professor did his best to elaborate on such a huge topic. Admins should decrease the sessions and weeks

By Milady M

Mar 07, 2017

i would like to see some subtitles in Spanish, to help me understand much better the main idea ! but in generally is so good and helpful!