Back to Model Thinking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Model Thinking by University of Michigan

We live in a complex world with diverse people, firms, and governments whose behaviors aggregate to produce novel, unexpected phenomena. We see political uprisings, market crashes, and a never ending array of social trends. How do we make sense of it? Models. Evidence shows that people who think with models consistently outperform those who don't. And, moreover people who think with lots of models outperform people who use only one. Why do models make us better thinkers? Models help us to better organize information - to make sense of that fire hose or hairball of data (choose your metaphor) available on the Internet. Models improve our abilities to make accurate forecasts. They help us make better decisions and adopt more effective strategies. They even can improve our ability to design institutions and procedures. In this class, I present a starter kit of models: I start with models of tipping points. I move on to cover models explain the wisdom of crowds, models that show why some countries are rich and some are poor, and models that help unpack the strategic decisions of firm and politicians. The models covered in this class provide a foundation for future social science classes, whether they be in economics, political science, business, or sociology. Mastering this material will give you a huge leg up in advanced courses. They also help you in life. Here's how the course will work. For each model, I present a short, easily digestible overview lecture. Then, I'll dig deeper. I'll go into the technical details of the model. Those technical lectures won't require calculus but be prepared for some algebra. For all the lectures, I'll offer some questions and we'll have quizzes and even a final exam. If you decide to do the deep dive, and take all the quizzes and the exam, you'll receive a Course Certificate. If you just decide to follow along for the introductory lectures to gain some exposure that's fine too. It's all free. And it's all here to help make you a better thinker!...

GK
Feb 24, 2017

Great content and lectures, that possibly provides new dimensions to look/explain the situation in context, I guess I will comeback for references to continue with this journey in to 'Model Thinking'

AA
Nov 23, 2020

very informative and insightful on how to use the various models at our disposal to take optimal decision. Also, was nostalgic to go back in time where these models were part of my university degree.

426 - 436 of 436 Reviews for Model Thinking

By Ing. J A

Mar 6, 2021

Interesting but so boring

By Yechen H

Oct 13, 2020

As a person who has a fair amount of Computer Science Education especially in the Artificial Intelligence area, I DO NOT recommend this course to someone with a similar background as I do. This course introduces several common models which a typical engineering/science student will encounter in her/his first two years of college study. The professor basically touches every model without much deep insights into how they might be practically applied to everyday choices/decisions. If you really want to Learn some Models, I would recommend the "Machine Learning" course here by Andrew Ng!

By Eli M

Mar 14, 2016

There have been some undesirable references to equations, in terms of equating modeling to economic growth and investment. I was interested by the syllabus and its outline of theories and the means to use models to study social sciences and systems sciences. After week 1, though, it was not a very interesting course so I considered trying to simply survey most of the videos to gain some more information, not necessarily for any more insight from the Professor from the University of Michigan.

By barry f

Aug 18, 2020

Interesting topic but poor lecture method. Abandoned the course because lecturer difficult to follow

By Maya R

Jan 25, 2021

Mathematical ability and statistics are required for this course.

By terrylknox

Feb 28, 2021

The videos may be useful for some but are difficult for others to follow (attention, accessibility, and other issues). This, combined with the lack of reading materials available (none) make information - especially the maths component of the course - harder to understand and absorb, given the quick nature and short timeline of the course. Given that the quizzes contain some math problems, it would be more helpful to have reading materials and small exercises to prepare for those quizzes instead of redoing the quiz rendering the learning process poor.

May 4, 2020

The teacher's use of crutch words like sort of, like, and you know was distracting. Count how many times he says sort of! It's ironic for a university professor. But this is the United States, the land of substandard education - where everyone is special and receives a medal for participation.

By Ryan K

Feb 14, 2017

Cons:

-Too dated - links to many of the materials are unavailable.

-Instructors knowledge of some the models he cover is questionable (regression)

Pros:

-Covers a lot of materials

By Yuqin L

Feb 14, 2021

If your first language is not English, you will find it very hard to follow the video as the author talks too fast to understand.

By Stan M