Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

1276 - 1300 of 1,402 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Julian B

Apr 18, 2020

This is a pretty good course. Lots of quality videos taken from museum materials. Feels somewhat bitty, but I did learn a number of things

By PANCHALI B

Sep 15, 2021

Easy course with all the link and references. Would like to attempt something more in depth. Good course to update your knowledge on art.

By Thomas d M

Oct 20, 2020

Very good insight, my only recommendation would be to have it a bit less example-based, and some things that capture broader concepts

By Parinitha P

Aug 18, 2017

It was really fun and exciting for someone who had no background in the arts. It was also quite easy for me comprehend the ideas.

By Ahmet Z E

Dec 13, 2018

It was nice, but should be more informative, Even now I am struggling to interpret a Modern Artwork and Lifestyle of Artists.

By Mattia T

Jan 15, 2018

Good idea to present a selecection of art and artists across 4 different themes instead of following a timeline approach.

By Kirill K

Dec 3, 2020

Great course overall although Art & Society theme pays tooooooo much attention to pressing issues of race and gender.

By Jessika A

Mar 5, 2020

For me was very refreshing, i could to know about new artists and definitively aclare my thoughts about Modern Art.

By Vibe T

Feb 10, 2020

lots of interesting concepts, and structure is easy to understand! could have broadened concepts a little more

By Willem M

Jan 30, 2018

Easy to digest but yet aslo challenging at the same time. I really enjoy the course and how it was presented.

By Beth B

Aug 12, 2020

I really enjoy peer review. I believe we learn from that but, I also think we need more instructor review.

By MP

I enjoyed learning! Thank you.

Just to let you know, there are a few links that are no longer accessible.

By Carel S

Jun 27, 2021

Interesting journey through differnts periods en styles. Good to learn what the motives the aratists are

By Tahir G

Feb 7, 2021

it is best course for beginner in field of arts, beneficial and interesting activities and informative.

By Meghana I

Dec 26, 2018

It was great to learn about contemporary art and it helps scrutinize general world objects differently,

By Matthew B

Nov 7, 2017

A really great introduction to art, and shown in a fresh, interesting and innovative and engaging way.

By Georgina P

Nov 24, 2015

IT's a course about how to teach ideas and modern art. Very interested. I recomend it to art lovers!

By Harriet L

A great beginners course to modern art and its key ideas. I would highly recommend! Thank you MoMA!

By Pamela B

I really enjoyed learning more about familiar artwork and being exposed to new art and artists.

By Carla R

Mar 4, 2020

Great course and art to ponder on. The platform is a little clunky. Thanks for making me think.

By Emily E

Feb 4, 2016

It wasn't clear when I signed up that the course was focused on educators. i still enjoyed it.

By Valerie I

Mar 6, 2017

Nice information about Modern and contemporary art. General information, with good resources.

By Peter J W

Sep 6, 2017

Thought provoking course topics. Very high level of course production as per usual from MOMA.

By Sam A

Feb 26, 2016

While the course is interesting - I believe it can be more in depth and cover more art works