Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

1351 - 1375 of 1,380 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Laura K

Aug 11, 2016

Very highlever, i would have enjoyed more technique to understand art

By Glenn O

Jun 23, 2016

Mostly a guide for teachers bringing classes to MOMA; weak otherwise.

By Nathaly P

El curso está en inglés! Y tenía que pasar todo al traductor

By eimear

May 16, 2017

Would have liked more lecture format and less reading.

By Lilia I

Jun 15, 2019

Not much new information, unfortunately.

By Laura H

Oct 8, 2015

there were mistakes in the quizzes.

By Diego A

Aug 4, 2020

Aún no recibo mis calificaciones.

By Ammar J R

Sep 3, 2017

such a great experience !

By Emil

Jan 8, 2021

Very nice!

By Irma R

Sep 5, 2015

The concept of this course is unique and pretty interesting, but videos are too short, basic and non-specific, they have vague connection with the rest of the materials. And the design of the tests and assignment is just awful. The questions with multiple choice work wrong: marking all the right answers is not appropriate, you must choose the "all of the above" option, but it is wrong because of formal logic. The correct option here is only to match all the answers and the "all of the above" line. Also many questions are debatable, and there is no answers in the materials for the course. And, finally, the uploading of the last assignment was just impossible for more than a week, and I don't know if it will ever be possible. Bad experience.

By Anthony J S

Oct 13, 2015

Nice idea, but too many technical difficulties. I tried to complete quiz 4 nine times and eventually passed the deadline. And in order to submit my final assignment I had to embedded my images into a word doc and export it as a PDF... I won't get extra marks for being able to work THAT out! ; )

I did enjoy the rest of the course though. Thanks for all your efforts.

By Allison M P

Dec 13, 2020

I was very disappointed by the format of the class. The content was FABULOUS, but the platform needs work. How can you advertise an online art class and then note that you are unable to share images. I received feedback that the peers didn't like the links!! Those were the instructions.

By Angel W

Feb 18, 2016

This course gives introduction of plenty of artworks from MoMA, but it will be more interesting if it shows more details and explanations about the artwork itself or the background of the time and the society.

By Krisztian S

Dec 30, 2015

This course is solely for teachers, on how to tech art to elementary school pupils. Very basic. Most of the content is available on the MoMA's website. Disappointing.

By Stephen R

Oct 4, 2015

A really interesting course on a fascinating and often misunderstood topic. It could be vastly improved by doing away with the peer assignment review requirement.

By F. S M B

Jan 19, 2016

Quiz was not well structured and title suggested a different idea than what the course was really about. Its a teachers guide.

By Joanne P

Sep 13, 2020

Some of it was very interesting. But also very repetitive. And not really an academic “course.”

By Marha A S

Dec 30, 2015

so so

By Aishwarya S

Jul 27, 2020

Good

By Danielle S

Jan 27, 2021

This felt like a pretty basic overview. I didn't care for the curation for the weekly topics, and I think it might largely be because the only works discussed were only those owned by the MoMA. The whole course felt dumbed-down, and didn't inspire me in the ways I was hoping for. I love the museum, but I finished this course and just felt like it was lacking. I learned about some works and artists I was unfamiliar with, but felt like nothing was as in-depth as I was looking for. Worth the 7-day free trial, but definitely NOT worth the monthly subscription fee. I am suspicious of their whole catalogue being too basic, and feel very let down by this course.