Back to Modern Art & Ideas

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Modern Art & Ideas by The Museum of Modern Art

Welcome to Modern Art & Ideas! This course is designed for anyone interested in learning more about modern and contemporary art. Over the next five weeks, you will look at art through a variety of themes: Places & Spaces, Art & Identity, Transforming Everyday Objects, and Art & Society. Each week kicks off with a video that connects works of art from The Museum of Modern Art’s collection to the theme. You will hear audio interviews with artists, designers, and curators and learn more about selected works in the additional readings and resources. Throughout this course you will discover how artists: -- represent place and take inspiration from their environment, -- create works of art to express, explore, and question identity, -- use everyday objects to challenge assumptions about what constitutes a work of art and how it should be made, -- and respond to the social, cultural, and political issues of their time through works of art. Through the discussion forum prompts and peer review assignment, you will also have the opportunity to connect with other learners and explore how these themes resonate with your own life and experience....

TT
Jun 7, 2020

Really enjoyed this course! Well organized/developed, and even for a museum buff, like me, offered great ideas, and perspectives in ‘looking’ and ‘understanding’ art, and particular artist’s process.

AM
Jan 14, 2018

It has been a very wonderful course. I love the museum as a cultural space and now I love it more for its commitment to online education and giving us the opportunity to learn in different countries.

176 - 200 of 1,417 Reviews for Modern Art & Ideas

By Aleyda C R

Oct 12, 2020

me encantó este curso, me abrió un panorama mas amplio de lo que es el arte moderno, lo cual no lo percibía de ninguna manera, me emocioné, me entristecí, me alegré, me deja una huella marcada en mi vida para poder ver la vida de otra manera, mil gracias.

By Laura C

Apr 21, 2020

I really liked this course because is a wholesome package and lets you learn from a lot of points of views on different topics. It helps you enhance your knowledge on modern art and understand some of the contemporary works thta sometimes get underrated.

By Michelle C

Feb 27, 2018

This taught me to not skip the titles and descriptions of modern and contemporary art pieces. There's a lot more to it than one might think. It made me understand why artists did what they did as well as understand why I do what I do as an artist myself.

By Luciana T

May 16, 2021

Es un curso inteligente y entretenido. Brinda herramientas para comprender la inspiración de los artistas y el arte en sí. Es un recorrido interesante a través de obras modernas y contemporáneas combinando contenido escrito y audiovisual. Lo recomiendo.

By Natalia B

Feb 23, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and everything I learned from it. Definitely gave me a new perspective about modern art and how to read it, analyze it and contemplate it. I am very happy I went through it all the way, this is an amazing achievement for me.

By Jordan L P

Dec 28, 2020

The course is optimized for non-arts major but with creative mindsets. I love how credible the instructors were and how elaborate MoMA has taught Art History and Art Direction through opening every learner's eyes on art appreciation and interpretation.

By Anna K

Aug 3, 2020

Very interesting and amazing course. The artworks follow the logic of the theme, there are very engaging assignments. The only I didn't like that the website isn't adapted for the final assignment (curate a set of images). Everything else was perfect!

By Elena G

A course providing inspiration as also a quite rich and in depth knowledge about modern art and contemporary artists . I feel that I have gotten a good ground to further explore and understand as also enjoy modern art after completing the course .

By Hannah M

Oct 27, 2020

I really enjoyed completing this course! I learned about new artists I have never heard of before, and discovered a deeper understanding of artists I have studied in the past. Would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in art history!

By Kathryn M

This was something very different for me, but I found it really interesting. I liked the interactive nature of the course and the chance to share ideas with others. I've learned a great deal and really enjoyed reflecting on the different works of art.

By Donna R

Jun 13, 2019

I found this course stimulating and informative honing critical thinking skills and visual interpretations of art. I was motivated by the instructor to further reading in several areas and discovered some "new to me" artists and works. Great course!

By mon_ e

Sep 26, 2018

I loved this course and benefited greatly and loved the art more and learned new things about the look of the artist and the look of the recipient of all kinds of arts Thank you very much to everyone who participated in the presentation of this course

By Gabriela D

Aug 10, 2019

Absolutely loved the way the course is constructed, very professional, very insightful, kept my attention until the end. Definitely developed my interest for modern art and gave me first knowledge and passion to learn more! I recommend it very much!

By Francisco L

Jul 7, 2019

This course not only educates but opens the mind and teaches to look at the artworks from an ampler perspective. From my point of view, this is a course perfectly designed to open the minds of the students. Thank you. I'm waiting for a second course

By Georgeta L

Jul 12, 2020

This course made me understand modern art better, it helped me get out of my comfort zone and think about ideas for assignments. The only thing that I would like, is to be more assignments graded by peers or instructors, which is really helpful.

By meryann a

Nov 10, 2018

Me gusto muchisimo este curso, me encante el arte y aprender a cómo entender el arte es lo que más me ha gustado, el arte es subjetivo y puede estar en todo lo que nos rodea pero siento que ahora la puedo interpretar de una manera más completa.

By Anthony P

May 6, 2020

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of critical thinking required by this course. I was expecting to have to provide more subjective review of abstract art and surreal art, but instead I found I could be more objective than I'd expected.

By Ashley R

May 16, 2020

This course was great! It gave a really good overview of a lot of themes in modern art and provided great peices to dive further into that theme. Definitely would recommend on taking this course if you're interested in art or are new to art.

By Qinghai H

Jun 26, 2017

This course provides an unique angel in explaining contempopary art. It is very helpful in that it uses many representative pieces of arts in conveying the concepts, and it provides additonal resources if you want to know more. I enjoyed it.

By Miriam s g

Oct 27, 2020

Loved it! I've learnt many things and new artists for me. This course arrived to me in the most difficult moment of my life, and have brought me a lot of happiness and illusion. Thank you MoMA! For sure, i would repeat it a thousand times.

By Kavita D

Aug 3, 2020

It was wonderful! The format in small videos and short readings kept the pace, and never allowed interest to wane. I was excited and looking forward to the next part, and am sorry it ended. Congratulations, great job with this course plan.

By Ana T

Jan 20, 2021

This is an amazing course that makes one question his own personality, values, society and surroundings.It also provides a valuable lesson of taking a better look on small everyday things that at one point can become a masterpiece of art.

By Ladislav S

Dec 6, 2017

Really nice course materials with a different way of looking at Art studies than I was used to. Lecture is divided into themes rather than different "isms" on a timeline. I enjoyed this approach much more and highly recommend the course.

By Nishan N

May 24, 2021

I love the content, but this course was not for me.

It is a personal choice, the course is great.

Great flow of information, great videos! I highly recommend for those who are in the filed of art or simply wants to boost their creativity!

By Guillermo D G

Jan 7, 2020

This is an amazing introductory Course that helped me to identify the Artwork Techniques and learn about the different Artist profile and their motivations to create this great artwork pieces, definitively one of the best I ever attend