Back to The Modern World, Part Two: Global History since 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part Two: Global History since 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part Two begins early in the twentieth century, as older ways of doing things and habits of thought give way. What follows is an era of cataclysmic struggles over what ideas and institutions will take their place. The course concludes in the present day, as communities everywhere are transitioning into a new era of world history. Again we work hard to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? Again we are drawn to pivotal choices made at key moments by individuals and communities....

MN

Sep 24, 2017

excellent course for those who have not studied history as part of their academic curriculum. Course is slightly from American(USA) perspective of world events but nevertheless is highly informative.

RM

Dec 08, 2016

This course is enlightening in so many ways. This course not only answers the "What" about history, but also "Why", "Why not" and the overall perception, feelings of people of each era being taught.

26 - 50 of 263 Reviews for The Modern World, Part Two: Global History since 1910

By Skylar F

Jun 27, 2017

Such a good class. The information was presented in well-rounded manner, with the teacher sometimes focusing on just one country, or other times, focusing on a topic, within several countries. He brings in pictures, film clips, propaganda, and music to help make history more tangible. I really appreciated this class!

By Manjeet S N

Sep 24, 2017

By Rajesh K M

Dec 08, 2016

By Ronald B S

May 11, 2018

Professor Zelikow's guidance through this two part course was enlightening, challenging and insightful. It has been a long delayed life goal to obtain my undergraduate degree. This class was

By Scott M

Jun 30, 2020

The content of this course is excellent, and the instructor is clearly highly qualified. The only reason I am giving the course a rating of 4 and not a 5 is because the lectures are far too lengthy. Coursera best practices recommends that video lectures should be no more than about 10 minutes long. Nearly all the lectures in this course are longer than that, and several are over a half-hour. It is very difficult to maintain focus in an online course with very limited interactivity for this length of time.

By Ahil K

Jul 07, 2019

The course was excellently built for both beginners and scholars. The questions and quizzes were really stimulating. Thank you.

By Uliana B

May 05, 2020

On the one hand, I really appreciated this course. Prof. Zelikow and his team created an extradionary course and did enormous work. Despite the fact that I studied history at university, I discovered many new facts. What I really liked that there was a lot of information about colonial possessions and government. On the other hand, I was disappointed that the history of America prevailed. This course is called "The Modern World" and I would like to know equally about different countries. I still have an impression that the USA is often presented as a "hero". I don`t agree with the presentation of the Soviet Union. Being a Russian historian I can say that there are many documents in archives (not only in Russia, but in England for exmple) that may disprove some arguments given in this course. I was a bit shocked and sad when I didn`t hear anything about the the Soviet liberation of Europe and the German Instrument of Surrender between the USSR and Germany. I also can`t agree with the fact that the Soviet Union won the war only thanks to American supplies (land-lease). There is one more fact that I didn`t like: the Soviet famine of 1932-1933 was only in Ukraine. It incuded a lot more territory - Volga region, Kazakhstan, Nothern Caucasus... And I don`t agree that the Soviet Union was responsible almost for everything and made suffer all the Socialist Bloc. I would like to comment the Cuban Missile Crisis also. I totally disagree that it was the Soviet Union`s fault. The crisis actually occured not only because of the Soviet Union but also because America placed its missiles in Turkey in 1961. I hope that one day the Soviet Union won`t be presented only in a negative light and historical studies studies will include more archival documents.

By Ujjwal K

The course though aims to give comprehensive overlook of key and major events it appears slightly tilted towards USA. It was great learning, this will help me understand the world developments better. History is inspiring. Thank you!

By Micheal P

Jun 12, 2020

It was interesting but the last week became more speculation on the future rather than history. Interesting but also distracting.

By Adam U

Apr 15, 2020

I find it hard if not impossible to learn in prof. Zelikow's courses for this reason: his explanations are too general.

By Stuart B

Apr 07, 2017

Course is not for free and misleading.

By Ibrahim S A L R

Feb 20, 2020

Hard Quizzes

By Paca N

Jun 01, 2020

i have enjoyed the course very much. I am very proud of being able to follow the course in English, since I am Spanish. I have listened all videos and afterwards I have read the transcription in English, too. The teacher, Philip Zelikow is a terrific one¡¡ He teaches wonderfully and I love the way he makes us to think and analyze the facts. And I think he is quite impartial, too. I have enjoyed so much, that I am going to do the first part of the course, too. At the begining I just wanted to do the last years of hte Modern History, but I have realized that I need to do the first part (from 1760 - 1910) to have a better idea of these last years. I think it would be really worthy another course from 2013 till nowadays¡¡ Thank you

By Frederick J G

Mar 15, 2020

I very much enjoyed the course despite its rapid pace and breath and scope of subject matter. It was a very nice review. Given that the course took us to 2013, I wonder if Professor Zelikow and others feel the transition period he noted between the 2nd and 3rd phases is becoming better defined - or perhaps more blurred. I do feel we are at a pivot or transition and try to look at the cause of problems and solutions to them. Perhaps we will one day have a course or chapter devoted to the political and economic consequences of the global pandemic when reviewing decisions made by national leaders. Stay healthy and thank you. Fred Gorrell, Ottawa, Canada

By David E

Jan 01, 2016

This is an excellent survey of the long 19th Century through WW II with a marvelous ' lagniappe' of very thoughtful coverage to 2013. I think that covering the events of the last two generations is very difficult without the credibility gained via a consistent approach to what came before. This course provided that consistency.

I now have a new appreciation of 'what came before' and a reminder, thanks to Philip Zelikow, to resist the constraint of thinking only via the history, outlooks and ideas of my lifetime.

Highly recommended.

By Anjaney L

May 07, 2020

It was a fascinating course. To get a chance to learn from such a learned person and get a chance to develop a new perspective towards the events of the past century was a really unique moment for me personally. Philip Sir helped develop credence in my theory that critically analyzing and thinking about the past events can really enable an individual to make more prudent decisions in the future. We learn both positives and negatives from the past and I am really glad to have studied this course.Thank you Philip Sir

By Eileen T F

Jul 10, 2020

The videos were all carefully thought through and presented in a clear, compelling manner. It was manifest that the instructor was totally engaged with the material, Professor has a charming manner,

It was a really good experience for me. I would have liked , if not a text, some relevant reading materials recommended to accompany sections of the course.

It is reassuring to think that young people at UVA would be exposed to such an excellent professor.

By Gilbook G

Mar 24, 2020

I really want to thank to the Professor Philip Zelikow for share with us his extensive knowledge. History has always been considered boring, and that responds, in my opinion, to the way it has been taught in school. However, it is impossile to understand our present if we do not know our past. I live in Venezuela and the history of each Latin american country is not isolated of the panorama described by the proffesor. Thank you very much!

By WAQAR U A

Jun 30, 2020

it really takes you on a journey to learn about different geopolitical issues around the world, it also explains the current landscape that we are living in and helps you better understand the way nation behave and are allied to each other, their root cause their demography and their culture, it uses so many pictures and tools to help you understand the true picture of the story and is very unbiased in its teaching.

By Sepand M B

Sep 07, 2016

I have finished part one of this course and I am currently completing part two. I have really enjoyed this detail and humane look on history so far. The course instructor Dr. Zelikow is very thorough and competent and has great perspectives and interpretations on different events that shaped the history of the world.

By Oriol G E

Aug 03, 2019

It has been an incredible journey, very interesting about the interactions between states, not only at the political level, but also cultural and economic. Explaining situations from the point of view of people and leaders of the time... Really worthwhile. Thank you so much for making this course available!

By Rob H

Jan 27, 2018

Basically everything from 20th century history that they should have taught us in Canadian Elementary and high school. Much better than learning about Canadian fur trade with natives for 12 years of education! This history is relevant to today and should be a staple of the Canadian education system!

By Jane B

Jun 07, 2020

Excellent course. Professor Philip Zelikow has an excellent presentation style, congenial with an even pace and tone. He successfully explains complex issues in a manner that is easy to understand. This course really helped me to better understand today's world based on a historical context.

By Maria F

Feb 13, 2017

Superb course on world history. I've just finished watching all the videos in this and the previous course. Twice.

The pace is wonderful. The blend of facts, anecdotes, notes, photographs, graphics, etc. keeps you hooked till the end.

Thanks for making this great course available to the world.