Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

HH
Jan 24, 2021

Very interesting and fun course\n\nDr. Zelikow really captivates the attention of the students and brilliantly explains complex situations to the layman audience.\n\nLook forward to Part II !\n\n:)

51 - 75 of 599 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Dawn J

Jul 8, 2017

Fascinating and broad, I have studied this time period on two occasions at different educational establishments as part of other courses but I still found this course engaging. It gives a broad and fairly global view of events - and shows the interconnections, which I thought was very good. I hope to be able to find time to take the second part of this course in the near future.

By Janet W

Apr 3, 2016

This course gave me an overall understanding of the globe of that period of time. This course helped me to understand why individual countries were in the situation they were. I am not into academic pursue but fully enjoyed the course. The professor was very clear about his ideas and pleasant to follow. Highly recommend for all people interested in modern history.

By Sohini B

Feb 17, 2018

It is a great course. Professor Zeliklow smiles and converses with us the great events of world history. He explains to us in depth why did the things happened as they did. In this 7 weeks course, I have learned a lot about the world history from 1760 to 1910. Many gaps in my knowledge has been filled by the depth of the matter. Thank you for this great course.

By Jordi P M

Apr 8, 2020

This has been a very interesting course. As a Catalan student, I'm happy to learn History from the American point of view, because I can get to know politicans and authors who are never mentioned in Spain. I have really enjoyed the videos in which the French Revolution is explained. The pictures and the diagrams make the organization of the ideas quite easier.

By Vladimir R

Oct 10, 2015

Big thanks to prof. Zelikow and University of Virginia for making history so interesting, and this course a joy to watch. I feel like I got a new perspective of today's world and the processes that will shape our future.

I recommend the course to people of all professional backgrounds and interests, even those who never liked history in their student days.

By Iva L

Oct 3, 2015

The Professor is very eloquent, interesting and has a remarkable virtue of keeping you in the loop of everything he's explaining, it almost seems effortless to engage in the topic of the video. I find the course extremely valuable, I'm learning A LOT and am able to connect the dots like I have never been able in my current education.

Thanks Professor!

By Robin E

Jan 17, 2021

The lecturer, Zelikow, is able to provide a sweeping view of the important historical changes in this period, providing ways of understanding what and why things happened. Often zeroing in for a while to look at certain events in details but always providing a guide through the many changes that occurred and making them understandable. Brilliant!

By Dorothy A

Apr 5, 2018

History tends to repeat itself so the more historical knowledge gained, the better understanding of current conditions. This course was one of the best I've taken and in particular the Professor's explanation of not only the data but the "why". So much occurs before and around an event that it is sometimes easy to jump to incorrect conclusions.

By Jose A P M

Sep 11, 2016

This course is very comprehensive. It giive us a realy Global perspective of the importante facts in History that changed the world in many aspects. I just loved it. The tests are not simple, so I advice people to take notes during the classes because it give us lots of information. In order to pass you have to pay attention even in the detail

By jhony d c p

Aug 19, 2017

excelente curso para tener un conocimiento amplio sobre los hechos y procesos históricos entre 1760 y 1910. el tutor estudia casos puntuales los cuales permiten tener un acercamiento mucho mas enriquecedor a algunos países que fueron importantes para el proceso histórico e inicio de la modernidad en algunos territorios europeos y del mundo.

By Samuel O

Jul 23, 2018

Considero que la explicación del Profesor Philip Zelikow es genial y aporta elementos muy claros y claves sobre la historia moderna. Hay que corregir los quizes porque realizan preguntas que no corresponden a la semana (a veces se pregunta sobre temas que no se han visto) pero es genial, recomendadísimo para los amantes de la historia.

By Beka K

Jul 3, 2017

Very informative and hard-working course. I recommend this course to those, who love world history, aren’t idle and are ready watching approximately two hours video-lectures and doing quizzes per week, each consisting of 20 questions. But, in spite of this, ultimately, my hopes have come true and I have got great pleasure by doing it.

By Armand R

Nov 24, 2016

Prossor Zelikow does a fantastic job with world history!! He gives a wonderfully refreshing "Big picture" view during this period of time. Thankfully he constantly reminds us of the "why this happened" instead of the usually boring "and then this happened..."

Crystal clear presentation and wonderfully informative!

Highly recommended.

By Anne H

Mar 17, 2018

What a fabulous series of lectures! This course was well organized, smart, and wonderfully presented! The Professor has done an amazing job of weaving together many dynamic concepts and themes, presenting them in a cohesive and interesting way. Without a doubt, this has been my best teaching experience with Coursera. Thank you!

By Alexandre Z

Jun 8, 2016

Very good, concise, relevant and with an excellent presentation. Gives you the big picture on history and also offers an insight in the decision making that shaped world history. Also it offers a big picture, focusing not only on Western history, but on China, Africa, India, Japan, Latin America and the Muslim world.

Excellent!

By Gary C

Dec 22, 2015

I have learnt a great deal in this course. A vast amount of history is covered in a logical and thematic manner. The professor's style is relaxing and warm. He is also well organised and lucid and because of this my learning was enhanced. This is a great course for those, like me, who are new to the history of these events.

By Charmaine L

Jan 5, 2019

Dr. Philip Zelikow was really thorough and amicable in the way he lectures. He's done an exceptional job in fusing the historical patterns of history with that of modern events, thus allowing us students to understand and relate to the importance of these historical events even better. Thank you, Dr. Zelikow!

By Santiago M

Oct 16, 2015

Es un curso donde se puede aprender mucho, además el profesor Zelikow habla con una espontaneidad excelente que lo atrapa en el curso y quiere seguir viendo más temas. El contenido del curso es excelente y las herramientas con las que cuenta para dar a entender el contenido de forma online es aún mejor.

By Kylee R

Oct 1, 2017

This course is fantastic! It is rigorous, yet Professor Zelikow skillfully makes the complex material very accessible. His enthusiasm is infectious. I greatly appreciate the efforts of Professor Zelikow, the University of Virginia and Coursera in making this course available. I can't wait to do Part 2!

By Qiyu T

Aug 23, 2019

Very well organized content! I love Professor Zelikow's way of teaching, he really draws the big picture of the global history and helps me to understand not only on what happened, but also why that happened. I can link what he teaches in the nowadays world. I would love to continue studying with him!

By Abhimanyu K

Sep 30, 2015

It was a great course and Mr. Zelikow is such a noble soul. I loved studying from him. In this information age, MOOCs will revolutionize education when people like us from far away countries have the chance learn from these terrific professors from all across the world. Thank You professor once again.

By Jorge P

Aug 11, 2017

Excellent, insightful presentation of the "why?" behind the "what?" from 1760 through the Great Acceleration. The conversational style keeps things interesting and give one a good foundational understanding of the most important developments around the world, and is peppered with great little facts.

By Samer S B

Nov 26, 2020

Absolutely overwhelming. I am a historian and I teach history in school, pursuing my masters degree, and I have never been in happy taking a course as much I am happy now. This Dr is a genius, all respect to Dr Philip Zelikow. I hope one day I'll be having these interactive maps he uses, genius.

By Jose M

Nov 22, 2020

I learned about all the changes and procedures that had to take place in the world for it to be as it is today. Really enjoyed learning the reasons of the decisions made by important people in history and the course really gave me more affinity for the study of history and culture of the world.

By Sandra M

Nov 11, 2019

It is a very well analyzed view of history by grouping key concepts doctrines and sets of developments that are shaping the world leaders experiences decisions as well as the evolution of their societies. Much better than a strictly chronological historic recitation. Compliments to Pr Zelikow.