Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

HH
Jan 24, 2021

Very interesting and fun course\n\nDr. Zelikow really captivates the attention of the students and brilliantly explains complex situations to the layman audience.\n\nLook forward to Part II !\n\n:)

101 - 125 of 585 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Antony J D H

Jan 30, 2016

Excellent. Thoroughly engaging, thoughtfully organized, and insightful. For anyone interested in the historical events leading to the conditions of the 20th Century, this course is a gateway to that understanding. Highly recommended.

By Jackson C

Feb 2, 2020

Simply sensational, I really liked its cheerful way, the use of excellent paintings, maps, tables. Despite being condensed, I was able to recall several historical facts and combine the knowledge in a more coherent and harmonious way.

By Ire L

Apr 28, 2017

It's a very open minded course for everyone who wants to learn more about the global history of this period and for everyone who wants to learn some of the skills of a histrian. It has a great pace and a very understandable professor.

By Daniela G R

Jan 14, 2021

This course was one of my joys during quarantine, the professor is very engaging and the information is clear. I really recommend it to anyone interested in getting some historic perspective. Very exited to continue in the next part!!

By Daniel F A

Sep 30, 2020

A well-thought, and laid-out course, with clear, comprehensive and thoughtfull explanations, and reference to many ways in which you can deepen your understanding of the period. The course keeps progresses in intensity with the weeks.

By mario a m f

May 14, 2018

The professor Zelikow is so clear in his ideas, and with examples all around the world. He gives the essentials of History: everything happens for something and the causes are interconnected. It was a wonderful experience. Thank you.

By Syed M Y

Dec 17, 2020

I also studied modern world in the university, but this is the outstanding one. In precise way the professor's method is quite attractive. I will to took another course from the same tutor. I Love his way of teaching .

By Erika K

Jul 3, 2017

Great course! I really appreciated how Dr Zelikow explained context and why major world history events happened the way they did. Lots of visual aid made this course really interesting. I would make this course a must in schools.

By Alfonzo R H Y

Jun 4, 2020

Great course which managed to explain the relationship of how one event in history subsequently stirred the events that will happen next. Not only did it explain what happened, it also expounded on why and what were its effects.

By Ana F

Aug 28, 2017

The course is great, very complete and didactic. The professor is friendly, talks patiently and deeply about the subject, what makes it easy for us, foreigners, to capture and understand the message. Can't get enough. Thank you!

By Huyen N T T

Aug 19, 2016

The greatest thing about this course is the connection of different events in the history to create a comprehensive picture about the global history. The professor is so nice and presents the course in a very interesting way :)

By Nufdriew

Nov 3, 2016

Although I already had much of the conceptual framework and general history of the course, the presentations filled in the missing detail of events and causes. Beautifully illustrated with art and maps from the different eras.

By Hao S

Sep 26, 2018

It's definitely great experience to follow the professor. In seven weeks, you can experience a lot. You need to think about a lot of issues in this course and maybe you can have more different insights about it. Thanks a lot.

By William R

Apr 15, 2020

Great presentation and knowledgeable professor. Maybe adding some videos would have been interesting and links to outside resources. But overall, this course was definitely worth it and I learned a lot.

Thank you M. Zelikow

By Akhilesh S

Jul 12, 2018

This has been a really intriguing course. Professor Zelikow passionately narrates the significant historical developments during the early Modern age, and also goes on to answering some of the 'Why' questions that crop up.

By Laurence G

May 20, 2018

I learned many new things from this course. I believe it will an excellent background to understanding the World Wars. I am particularly interested in World War II and the Holocaust. I look forward to the next course.

By SAKA SAMEERA

Aug 9, 2020

Someone who needs to understand past societies better, to mark specificity in the future, needs to enroll in this course because it is always difficult to explain the world in a grain of sand but this has been simpler.

By Ana O

Jun 29, 2020

I have loved this course. It has taken me much more than I expected to finish it but it has been worth the effort, so much so that I am now intending to starte the second part. Thank you very much for the opportunity

By Mike B

Mar 3, 2021

I absolutely loved this course, and very much enjoyed the presentation, format, and thorough overview of the material. I very much look forward to taking more courses in this style and by this professor if possible.

By Marin V

Oct 21, 2020

Lots of information, systemised and analysed. I liked the question why to everything and the importance of trying to understand how people at the time thought. Also the emphasis of the situation, problem, solution.

By Charles G

Mar 17, 2017

Simply awesome! I really appreciated the professor's approach and I enjoyed the videos, always looking for the next one to come. For people who have a personal interest in history, this course is definitely a must.

By Faulkner

Jan 15, 2016

This is a tremendous course which revived my intellectual curiosity after many years out of structured eductation. I am now much looking forward to completing Part 2 of the course. My thanks to Professor Zelikow.

By Magdalena M K

Nov 13, 2015

I have already done this course before. Now I wanted check do I remeber everything or not. I'm very satisfied because I can say 'YES', I remember nearly all material and I would like to thanks for that course. :)

By Etore S

Aug 30, 2015

An interesting economic and geopolitical analysis of a crucial era in global history. The topics were perfectly arranged and precisely introduced by a very well prepared professor. Nice course, enjoyable classes.

By Saiprasad C

Apr 5, 2016

I loved attending the Modern World, Part one course.

I have been a student of history all my life but i learnt a lot during the course.

I would like to take up other history courses time permitting in future

Thanks