Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC

Nov 06, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW

Apr 16, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

101 - 125 of 534 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Huyen T

Aug 20, 2016

The greatest thing about this course is the connection of different events in the history to create a comprehensive picture about the global history. The professor is so nice and presents the course in a very interesting way :)

By Nufdriew

Nov 03, 2016

Although I already had much of the conceptual framework and general history of the course, the presentations filled in the missing detail of events and causes. Beautifully illustrated with art and maps from the different eras.

By Hao S

Sep 26, 2018

It's definitely great experience to follow the professor. In seven weeks, you can experience a lot. You need to think about a lot of issues in this course and maybe you can have more different insights about it. Thanks a lot.

By William R

Apr 15, 2020

Great presentation and knowledgeable professor. Maybe adding some videos would have been interesting and links to outside resources. But overall, this course was definitely worth it and I learned a lot.

Thank you M. Zelikow

By Akhilesh S

Jul 12, 2018

This has been a really intriguing course. Professor Zelikow passionately narrates the significant historical developments during the early Modern age, and also goes on to answering some of the 'Why' questions that crop up.

By Laurence G

May 20, 2018

I learned many new things from this course. I believe it will an excellent background to understanding the World Wars. I am particularly interested in World War II and the Holocaust. I look forward to the next course.

By SAKA SAMEERA

Aug 09, 2020

Someone who needs to understand past societies better, to mark specificity in the future, needs to enroll in this course because it is always difficult to explain the world in a grain of sand but this has been simpler.

By Ana O

Jun 29, 2020

I have loved this course. It has taken me much more than I expected to finish it but it has been worth the effort, so much so that I am now intending to starte the second part. Thank you very much for the opportunity

By Marin V

Oct 21, 2020

Lots of information, systemised and analysed. I liked the question why to everything and the importance of trying to understand how people at the time thought. Also the emphasis of the situation, problem, solution.

By Charles G

Mar 17, 2017

Simply awesome! I really appreciated the professor's approach and I enjoyed the videos, always looking for the next one to come. For people who have a personal interest in history, this course is definitely a must.

By Faulkner

Jan 15, 2016

This is a tremendous course which revived my intellectual curiosity after many years out of structured eductation. I am now much looking forward to completing Part 2 of the course. My thanks to Professor Zelikow.

By Magdalena M K

Nov 13, 2015

I have already done this course before. Now I wanted check do I remeber everything or not. I'm very satisfied because I can say 'YES', I remember nearly all material and I would like to thanks for that course. :)

By Etore S

Aug 30, 2015

An interesting economic and geopolitical analysis of a crucial era in global history. The topics were perfectly arranged and precisely introduced by a very well prepared professor. Nice course, enjoyable classes.

By Saiprasad C

Apr 05, 2016

I loved attending the Modern World, Part one course.

I have been a student of history all my life but i learnt a lot during the course.

I would like to take up other history courses time permitting in future

Thanks

By Nikita S

Professor Philip Zelikow, it was a very informative course. One can learn analytical skills, time management, reasoning skills(the why questions) through the part 1 of your course.

Thank you so much Mr. Zelikow.

By Raissa L

Feb 06, 2019

Absolutely amazed with this course. Philip is extremely knowledgeable, gives you the baby steps in order to understand each class. I'm looking forward to take another class with him. Couldn't recommend enough!!

By Dan D

Sep 09, 2020

Great course that gave the big picture of how we the modern world got started. I liked that prof. Zelikow tried to convey why things happened, and the interrelationships of various events in world history.

By myriam v g b

Jul 26, 2020

excelente curso, la manera de ver la historia desde el punto de las opciones que se tenían en el momento me gustó, porque te hace pensar que hubieras hecho tu en esos momentos con las condiciones existentes,

By Jonas T R

Oct 16, 2016

Despite a bit confusing use of info-screen, this really opened my mind and view to the rest of the world. It´s if he made me see world history + our present world in a whole new light. Thank you so much :)

By Lauren L

Sep 17, 2015

This is an excellent overview of the the History of the Modern World. I am learning and re-learning quite a lot and will certainly join up for Part II when it is on offer. I highly recommend this course.

By manulukas

Oct 06, 2020

From my point of view, here the story focuses more on Spain and Europe and less on the rest, I have found it curious and interesting and a different point of view from another non-European perspective.

By Michael G

Jun 17, 2017

Superb course. Loved it. Learnt so much. I was taking the "free" course on coursera and was disappointed that I could not take the exams each week. Other free courses have enabled me to do this. Otherw

By Stephanie R

Oct 24, 2015

This was my first course, so I don't have any comparison. But I found it really well done. Clearly spoken, interesting content, well understandable. A good introduction to worlds recent history!

By Aravind v

Sep 24, 2020

I have had always the question what and went through almost all the facts , anyhow from this course i find that question why is as much as important to what.Thank you professor and coursera

By Patricia C D

May 10, 2018

I would organize a little better the discussion forum because it's a little messy, though it is helpful sometimes knowing what others are asking and thinking even if its from one year ago.