Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

HH
Jan 24, 2021

Very interesting and fun course\n\nDr. Zelikow really captivates the attention of the students and brilliantly explains complex situations to the layman audience.\n\nLook forward to Part II !\n\n:)

126 - 150 of 609 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By SAKA SAMEERA

Aug 9, 2020

Someone who needs to understand past societies better, to mark specificity in the future, needs to enroll in this course because it is always difficult to explain the world in a grain of sand but this has been simpler.

By Ana O

Jun 29, 2020

I have loved this course. It has taken me much more than I expected to finish it but it has been worth the effort, so much so that I am now intending to starte the second part. Thank you very much for the opportunity

By Mike B

Mar 3, 2021

I absolutely loved this course, and very much enjoyed the presentation, format, and thorough overview of the material. I very much look forward to taking more courses in this style and by this professor if possible.

By Marin V

Oct 21, 2020

Lots of information, systemised and analysed. I liked the question why to everything and the importance of trying to understand how people at the time thought. Also the emphasis of the situation, problem, solution.

By Charles G

Mar 17, 2017

Simply awesome! I really appreciated the professor's approach and I enjoyed the videos, always looking for the next one to come. For people who have a personal interest in history, this course is definitely a must.

By Faulkner

Jan 15, 2016

This is a tremendous course which revived my intellectual curiosity after many years out of structured eductation. I am now much looking forward to completing Part 2 of the course. My thanks to Professor Zelikow.

By Magdalena M K

Nov 13, 2015

I have already done this course before. Now I wanted check do I remeber everything or not. I'm very satisfied because I can say 'YES', I remember nearly all material and I would like to thanks for that course. :)

By Etore S

Aug 30, 2015

An interesting economic and geopolitical analysis of a crucial era in global history. The topics were perfectly arranged and precisely introduced by a very well prepared professor. Nice course, enjoyable classes.

By Saiprasad C

Apr 5, 2016

I loved attending the Modern World, Part one course.

I have been a student of history all my life but i learnt a lot during the course.

I would like to take up other history courses time permitting in future

Thanks

By Kavita

Dec 28, 2020

Excellent course, very enjoyable, had the right level of overview and details that I was looking for.... and also loved the way Prof Philip brought out the why in every section.....Now plan to do Part 2 as well

By Nikita S

Professor Philip Zelikow, it was a very informative course. One can learn analytical skills, time management, reasoning skills(the why questions) through the part 1 of your course.

Thank you so much Mr. Zelikow.

By Raissa L

Feb 5, 2019

Absolutely amazed with this course. Philip is extremely knowledgeable, gives you the baby steps in order to understand each class. I'm looking forward to take another class with him. Couldn't recommend enough!!

By Dan D

Sep 9, 2020

Great course that gave the big picture of how we the modern world got started. I liked that prof. Zelikow tried to convey why things happened, and the interrelationships of various events in world history.

By myriam v g b

Jul 26, 2020

excelente curso, la manera de ver la historia desde el punto de las opciones que se tenían en el momento me gustó, porque te hace pensar que hubieras hecho tu en esos momentos con las condiciones existentes,

By Jonas T R

Oct 16, 2016

Despite a bit confusing use of info-screen, this really opened my mind and view to the rest of the world. It´s if he made me see world history + our present world in a whole new light. Thank you so much :)

By Lauren L

Sep 17, 2015

This is an excellent overview of the the History of the Modern World. I am learning and re-learning quite a lot and will certainly join up for Part II when it is on offer. I highly recommend this course.

By manulukas

Oct 6, 2020

From my point of view, here the story focuses more on Spain and Europe and less on the rest, I have found it curious and interesting and a different point of view from another non-European perspective.

By Michael G

Jun 17, 2017

Superb course. Loved it. Learnt so much. I was taking the "free" course on coursera and was disappointed that I could not take the exams each week. Other free courses have enabled me to do this. Otherw

By Stephanie R

Oct 24, 2015

This was my first course, so I don't have any comparison. But I found it really well done. Clearly spoken, interesting content, well understandable. A good introduction to worlds recent history!

By Marvin W

Apr 25, 2021

Thank you! I learned a lot about the context of global events and decisions. The course covered more than a hundred years and Professor Philip Zelikow made it pleasant and quite easy to follow.

By Aravind V

Sep 24, 2020

I have had always the question what and went through almost all the facts , anyhow from this course i find that question why is as much as important to what.Thank you professor and coursera

By Leah P

Nov 18, 2020

I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed this course and how valuable I've found it. I'm doing a social sciences degree and this course has helped me contextualise the things I'm studying.

By Shravya K

Nov 8, 2020

Professor Phillip Zelikow is so sweet and passionate and its crazy how we are still struggling with the central conflict of the Hundred Years' War, "How will we organize modern societies?"

By Patricia C D

May 10, 2018

I would organize a little better the discussion forum because it's a little messy, though it is helpful sometimes knowing what others are asking and thinking even if its from one year ago.

By Ellen W

Dec 23, 2015

The professor is very knowledgeable and engaging. It is fascinating to hear every word he says. I like the way he analyses WHY this or that happened and what we could learn from an event.