Back to The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910 by University of Virginia

This is a survey of modern history from a global perspective. Part One begins with the political and economic revolutions of the late 1700s and tracks the transformation of the world during the 1800s. Part One concludes as these bewildering changes seem to be running beyond the capacity of older institutions to handle them. Throughout the course we try to grasp what is happening and ask: Why? And the answers often turn on very human choices....

MC
Nov 5, 2018

Dear Professor,\n\nI am fascinated with week one, even though I work in the scientific side, also like history, nothing more rewarding than visiting and ancient place and know what happened... Thanks

GW
Apr 15, 2017

Such an informative course, and it linked together different regions & events; that's something only top-level sources of education does. I will no doubt continue on with the course to Part 2.

176 - 200 of 551 Reviews for The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910

By Christian W

Oct 24, 2016

Very nice global perspectives with focus on why and not what! Could be a little less material on America and more global, but still recommendable!

By Antonios K

May 26, 2016

Excellent Professor!!! Not the same old boring history course! Prof. Zelikow really digs into history and poses the fundamental question "Why?"

By Sean F

Nov 8, 2017

Offers an in depth look into our modern history and at many of the factors that got us to where we are today. Very compelling and interesting.

By María F n M

Oct 18, 2020

es un curso que nos lleva a travez de la historia de la humanidad y nos ayuda a dar una vista de adonde hemos llegado a traves de estos años

By Tavleen K B

Oct 6, 2018

Great Presentation Professor, You are a great historian and a wonderful story teller. I thoroughly enjoyed this course. Thank you so much.

By Janique M

Jan 5, 2017

I really enjoyed this course - although I wish the big weekly quizzes were available to everyone, not only those who purchased the course.

By Anna Z

Oct 6, 2016

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you. The professor is a great public speaker and very knowledgeable. I wish he was teaching another course.

By Sepand M B

Sep 7, 2016

Great course.

I only wish Coursera would offer history courses on major revolutions that shaped the world as well, i.e Russia, Iran...etc.

By Ramez T

Nov 16, 2018

Professor is clear and goes at a great pace. I like how he tackles the deeper things in history; ie, the how and why, not just the what.

By Cassandra C

Dec 9, 2015

I absolutely love this professor! He makes the topic and class as a whole extremely engaging! I would take any class he teaches any day!

By Thashreefa S C

Dec 2, 2020

This course is very informative. It helped me to prepare an outline about the history of modern world from 1760 to 1910. Thank you sir.

By Arpit

Jun 18, 2020

Great Course. I always wished to read World History. This gives details of the events and the reason behind them in much-required need.

By Roberto L

Jun 23, 2017

After doing this course I have a better picture of how the world we live in was formed, and what are the forces driving the human race.

By Adrià B C

Oct 10, 2017

Nice and really interesting content, a pitty that I couldn't do the tests without buying the entire course, but it's enjoyable anyway.

By microjenn

Dec 22, 2016

I really enjoyed this course. I learned a lot and enjoyed how the Professor compared events around the world and tied things together.

By Mia Z

Relearn the history from the old to the new world. Reflect on the dramatic change we are facing today. Very valuable lessons learned.

By Icíar V R

Aug 14, 2020

Excellent course; well structured and very interesting. I strongly recomend it to anyome interested in understanding modern society.

By Emmanuel

May 13, 2020

Professor Zelikow is very enlightening and humorous. I've learned a lot about the global history from a quite distinct perspective.

By Michelle J

Sep 15, 2020

Prof. Zelikow's narration is gripping and his enthusiasm effusive. This was so enjoyable and well-organized. Thank you! Wahoo-wa.

By Travis S

Apr 19, 2020

This has been an enlightening class. It's been interesting to learn the cause and effect of what's happening in the modern world.

By Alison B

Aug 21, 2019

Great course. Very informative and presented in an interesting and thoughtful way-thank you. Can't wait to get started on Part 2!

By Joseph W

Dec 13, 2015

Very good course - ties many disparate threads together to make a cogent explanation of how and why the modern world came to be.

By Imam K

Sep 18, 2015

This course enable me to learn something new I have never learned before. It also gives me handful knowledge about world history.

By Tofail A

Sep 27, 2019

To me "The Modern World, Part One: Global History from 1760 to 1910" is time demanding course. Thanks for the opportunity....

By Valorie H

Apr 24, 2016

Extremely interest course. Learned a lot. Really puts everything into perspective. Professor tells history like a story.