Back to Economics of Money and Banking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Economics of Money and Banking by Columbia University

The last three or four decades have seen a remarkable evolution in the institutions that comprise the modern monetary system. The financial crisis of 2007-2009 is a wakeup call that we need a similar evolution in the analytical apparatus and theories that we use to understand that system. Produced and sponsored by the Institute for New Economic Thinking, this course is an attempt to begin the process of new economic thinking by reviving and updating some forgotten traditions in monetary thought that have become newly relevant. Three features of the new system are central. Most important, the intertwining of previously separate capital markets and money markets has produced a system with new dynamics as well as new vulnerabilities. The financial crisis revealed those vulnerabilities for all to see. The result was two years of desperate innovation by central banking authorities as they tried first this, and then that, in an effort to stem the collapse. Second, the global character of the crisis has revealed the global character of the system, which is something new in postwar history but not at all new from a longer time perspective. Central bank cooperation was key to stemming the collapse, and the details of that cooperation hint at the outlines of an emerging new international monetary order. Third, absolutely central to the crisis was the operation of key derivative contracts, most importantly credit default swaps and foreign exchange swaps. Modern money cannot be understood separately from modern finance, nor can modern monetary theory be constructed separately from modern financial theory. That's the reason this course places dealers, in both capital markets and money markets, at the very center of the picture, as profit-seeking suppliers of market liquidity to the new system of market-based credit....

BG
Jul 16, 2017

An intellectually engaging course opening a debate about how we think about markets and how we should tackle the current challenges. Accessible to non-economists. I warmly recommend it to everyone.

PM
Jun 26, 2020

Extremely helpful is understanding the money view of banking system. One of the best courses. A small suggestion - it can be interspersed with more examples especially from the emerging markets.

51 - 75 of 348 Reviews for Economics of Money and Banking

By Benjamin F

Aug 19, 2018

Really good, but because English is not my mother tongue I will maybe go trough the course a second time. The second half of the course is more demanding, but nonetheless interesting. To be honest I did not read all the articles by due time, some of them are quite long. This is the best course I finished so far on coursera.

By Vinay R P

Jul 15, 2017

Learned a lot from this course. Contains detailed information on Money and Banking .

Best part was when Prof Perry G Mehrling talks at the beginning of the course about relationship between the subject and analysis of Financial Times.

Having completed the course, I am able to understand the depth of challenge he threw.

By Bojie S

Jan 7, 2017

The content and idea provided in the course are simply amazing! The best ever I had on Coursera and I really appreciate all the research effort made by Professor Perry Mehrling. Hope many more people using Coursera could have a look at the innovative ideas explained by Professor Mehrling in money market and finance.

By Jennifer H

Jan 7, 2020

I am very lucky to find this course as my PhD thesis is about "the Banking evolution and bank performance". I looked for relevant literature to understand the phenomenon of Banking evolution and this course is exactly what I needed. Thank you very much! I am the one holding the minority view as well.

By Nabilah N

Aug 26, 2017

A great way to revise a course that I did during my undergraduate. Especially because I have always found financial economics boring or hard to understand but Mr. Mehrling's lectures and reading materials are great resources to make it a fascinating subject to re-learn and finally understand.

By Tay M

Jan 4, 2021

As a student that took A levels economics, this course gave me significantly more exposure to the world economics. I might not pursue a career in economics, but I understand a little more about the world banking system compared to before. This will serve useful for me in the future for sure.

By Sebastian S

Apr 3, 2017

Excellent course, excellent professor, extremely interestig topics, presented in an understandable manner. the only little con might be that the assignments are not appropriate (too easy). This course is a teaser and a perfect starting point for any substantial engagement in modern finance

By Giovanni B

Mar 8, 2020

The most insightful economics class I've ever taken. After completion, I'm gonna join the Young Scholars Initiative of INET in order to further develop "my money view" and, hopefully, one day contribute to this thinking with new ideas. Thank You Professor Mehrling! And thank you Coursera.

By Zbigniew P

Apr 11, 2021

If You want to know something about how real world works that course is a must.

Even if I don't agree on general conclusion that that system is fair and useful (I'm an Austrian guy) that course is best explanation I was able to find. For me great job and respect for Prof. Mehrling.

By Hp F

Mar 28, 2020

Being a central banker, I liked this course a lot - it showed me many new aspects of our role, not just in the area where I am working in (which is Treasury). I also liked many of the suggested readings a lot, especially those on the history and development of monetary policy.

By Spencer H

Oct 9, 2020

A thorough walk through the money and banking system. Accountants beware, use of T-accounts in this course are sometimes truncated and counter intuitive. Would have liked more depth on cdo, cds, rmbs, etc... Mr. Mehrling is consistent, forthright, and suitable engaging.

By Carlos A D J

Apr 23, 2017

I indeed appreciated this course! Now I can build a general view for both money and capital markets in an evolutionary and in a global perspective. I am able to understand and talk about all the players, their funtions and perspectives in the macroeconomic environment.

By Addison L

Dec 10, 2018

Fascinating course that has well-explained in depth information about viewing the financial and economic landscape from the "Money View" and studying the evolution of banks, hierarchy between money and credit, liquidity vs solvency, the survival constraint, and more.

By Marek D

Jul 28, 2017

Superb course. I work for an investment bank. I couldn't find single resource to understand broad picture of financial markets until I found this course. I recommend it to everyone, not only people working in finance but everyone who wants to understand modern world.

By Renan G M

Sep 25, 2020

Curso que fornece uma visão geral do que é realmente o dinheiro e como o sistema financeiro funciona (principalmente os bancos centrais e os dealers). Entretanto, para aqueles que pensam em se inscrever, tem que realmente gostar do assunto e estudar com paciência.

By Herve Y

May 19, 2018

Thank you professor Mehring for this great course. Understanding Economics under the lens of Money is not very taught. This course gives us a starting framework analyze money impacts on Economics, based on number of years of experience and studies. Thanks so much!

By Varun C

Sep 19, 2020

It is a very informative course, dealing with the evolution of bank and the mechanism at which they worked in different phases. I would recommend people to take the course if they are interested in knowing more about finance and economics in money and banking.

By Carlos H

Dec 2, 2016

This is one the best curses that I ever taken, it is a wonderful oportunitie to understand the money view, and how the monetary system realy works, with very preciseness and accuracy lessons, if you take this course, you are going to learn amazing knowledge.

By Sheraz K

Feb 5, 2019

Simply the best. A well constructed course with some excellent reading material. Professor Mehrling was excellent. Thank you Professor, Columbia University and Coursera for making this wonderful course available to thousands of students all over the world.

By Ryan C

Oct 21, 2019

Professor Mehrling is outstanding. Such a well structured and cogent explanation of the plumbing and funding markets that too many market commentators do not wholly understand. He has started me down a path of further exploring these concepts. Thank you!

By Iulia A P

Nov 3, 2017

I'm grateful that I had the chance and inspiration to take this course online (even if only the free version of it) because it was one of the most fascinating presentation of original thinking I ever witnessed. Intellectual, convincing and inspiring.

By Yingjie W

Nov 15, 2020

Definitely one of the best online classes I've ever taken. Thank you so much Coursera and Columbia U and Professor Mehrling. This class completely changed my view on banking and money. It's particularly important to learn in a strange time like now.

By Richard K

Feb 16, 2021

Professor Mehrling has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject but rather than overwhelming his students with too much, too fast information, he doles it out in just the right amount so the students can understand and retain what is being taught.

By John M O C

Feb 15, 2020

This is very insightful on how banks and dealers are the ones who make the world go round. It also showed me how shadow banking is actually very useful and how the history of using money has developed over time and affects how we use money today.

By Bertrand K

Mar 7, 2017

Probably the best economics course I ever had in my life. Mr Mehrling's take on the economics of banking is vivid, modern, broad and does not leave the finance aspect of it aside, which is too often the case in typical economics courses.