Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

SK

Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

DA

Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

226 - 250 of 872 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Tyler R

Aug 19, 2019

This course was amazing. I really appreciate the effort of everyone involved in making it happen. David and Zac were fantastic instructors. It has really helped me expand my knowledge and appreciation for mountains. My favourite topics were glaciers and climate change.

By Shawn F

Very comprehensive overview of the significance of mountain environments as they relate to geology, ecology, and humanity. Engaging and refined content that presents the information in a way that continued to surprise me with insights that I never would have expected.

By Helen H

Jun 8, 2020

Thank you so much for bringing the mountains of the world into my little world. I have learned so much about the mountains in every continent of the world. David and Zac have done an amazing job in passing on their wealth of expertise and knowledge about mountains.

By Tawna H

Apr 19, 2020

The course gave informative material in many aspects of mountains. Everything about this course was really well done, to the examples, the pop quiz’s, and the interviewers that gave their perspective on the lesson at hand. I would recommend this course to everyone...

By Amit T

Jul 23, 2017

This course provides overview of why mountains are important and how they affect humans. Information about different mountain ranges, glaciers, rivers is something I enjoyed most. The tips at the end of each course is nice. This course met my expectations completely!

By Frederic F

Mar 8, 2022

T​his online course was simply amazing in all aspects ; greats teachers, detailled and relevant informations about the subjet, good visual support etc.

I​ will greatly recommand this course to all my friends.

T​hank you for sharing your love for nature and mountains.

By Barbara S

Mar 11, 2021

This was one of the best courses I have taken. It was well organized, presented in a clear and easy to follow manner, full of information. I have taken other science courses with the University of Alberta, and have found all of their courses to be well presented.

By Meagan F

Apr 3, 2020

This course was fantastic! We really enjoyed the thought that went into planning a course that covered so many diverse topics relating to mountains. Thank you for all your efforts. We love mountains even more now! We'll be celebrating December 11th from now on :)

By Nikola J

Nov 3, 2017

Unbelievable source of information for people that are not pro. Really nice set of instructions, with lot of animations that describes all topics. Really worth of time and effort to understand all. At the end, we are getting closer to the Earth with this classes.

By omkar b

Jun 6, 2020

This course is easily comprehensible and enriching for those who intend to study ecology. It was extremely well-curated and helped me discover my profound interest in understanding mountains and its associated cultures! Thank you for this amazing experience!

By Jean L

Apr 10, 2017

What a great class! It was so engaging, with beautiful photos and a good mix of biology and social sciences. Technical topics were well explained with nice diagrams and the guest experts provided great examples of in depth knowledge. I loved Mountains 101!!!

By Seila T

Jul 15, 2019

What a beautiful and insightful course! The multidisciplinary nature of the course makes it very informative, but also entertaining, and the level of the lessons is challenging without being too difficult. Great instructors, great content and great course!

By Sharal D

Apr 19, 2020

It was not just a course, it was an amazing journey that has left me appreciating mountains and related ecosystems more than ever before. Lots of love to all the course instructors and guest speakers for making such an amazing course. Absolutely loved it!

By Olga K

Sep 16, 2019

It's a fantastic course! I felt very motivated throughout and both course leaders were very engaging in their way of presenting. I also loved the quality of the materials and the possibility of going beyond by doing additional reading. Highly recommended!

By Emiko T

Aug 5, 2020

This course is beautifully made. I have taken several online course, and this course is the best so far! I am very grateful to take this course. Thank you very much for all the effort to create this beautiful and has a lot of information and knowledge!!!

By Timo K

Feb 23, 2018

Absolutely fantastic! Brilliantly diverse, and with spectacular images, videos, animations and interviews, this course has reaffirmed my appreciation for mountains, strengthened my knowledge of the environment, and has brought me academic joy. Well done!

By Ayush B

Apr 27, 2020

As someone who has a deep interest in the cryosphere and glaciers this course has enabled me to become more knowledgeable in this field. I highly recommend this course for anyone who wishes to know more about mountains and their importance to the world.

By MANJUNATH N V B

Nov 12, 2019

Very interesting course to learn more about the country from India. quite surprised to see the talk by Canadian prime minister at the end of course and congratulating me....its shows how he is giving importance to the course content and education.....

By Andrey D

Feb 3, 2021

Professionally presented by knowledgeable lecturers with input from field specialists. Truly a work of art, I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect covered and look forward to exploring deeper into the suggested readings provided at the end of each lesson.

By Pablo T

Apr 25, 2020

Excellent course providing a very interesting and interactive overview of mountains in their social, biological, geological, hydrological and historical levels. I'm taking away a greater knowledge and awareness of mountain ecosystems and their value.

By Zoe S

Dec 11, 2020

The content of this course is well thought out, visually beautiful, and very informative. I love the interdisciplinary aspect of the course, and reflects very well how versatile mountains are. Highly recommend for science nerds and mountain lovers.

By Jérémi G

May 7, 2020

Thanks for this fabulous course. Ce fut très intéressant et enrichissant de vous suivre semaine après semaine. Very well contructed and brought to life. Vous donnez envie d'enfiler nos bottes de randonné et de se diriger vers là-haut.

Merci encore.

By Blue A

Oct 17, 2018

I am a mountain hiker and my mind has grown more curious about how my favorite places are formed and my concern for their well being has also grown. I was so happy to find this course and I have already learned so much just in the beginning of it.

By Laura M M G

Apr 1, 2021

The best course for me! Each lesson was very interesting, I learned many things that I did not know and I broadened my perspectives. You can see the effort and the will of each person who participated in this course. I recommend it to everybody:)