Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

BS
Feb 11, 2021

Great fun, I really enjoyed this course. Sometimes the dialogue was somewhat repetitive but overall you can see a lot of effort went into finding experts and giving quality, accompanying video clips.

426 - 450 of 830 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Ruediger K

Jun 2, 2017

Absolutely fabulous. I very much appreciated the broad scope, the ontent is comprehensive, and the presentation is perfect

By Saubhagya M

Jul 22, 2020

Really loved this course. I fely closer to nature than ever before ! Cleared some misconceptions about wildfires as well.

By Colin X

Jul 20, 2020

Great effort for producing such a great course. Well done and fully enjoy it. Waiting for more advanced course like this.

By Rachel E H

Apr 22, 2020

A very comprehensive and enjoyable look at mountains from a variety of perspectives. Extremely educational and enjoyable.

By Kari P

Jun 16, 2019

Informative, engaging and very well laid out material. Big thanks to everyone involved in the making of the this course.

By Parker A

Apr 16, 2017

This was an incredibly well laid out course that made foreign concepts easy to understand and intriguing to learn about!

By Zayar S T

Apr 4, 2021

Knowledgeable and Informatic about mountains. Everyone who interest or touching with mountains should take this course.

By Tara M

Mar 15, 2019

I absolutely loved this course! It was interested, informative, and engaging. I wish ALL my courses were like this one!

By F M

Aug 20, 2018

So well designed and extremely interesting. Even though there are no mountains in Paraguay I enjoyed it so much. Thanks

By Manish k

Jul 8, 2020

the mountain course is very useful for human and nature so its give us a perfect knowledge about mountains importance

By Caitlin L

Jan 10, 2020

loved this course. provided such interesting and necessary interdisciplinary overview of all things mountain related.

By John W

Jan 12, 2017

Great class that introduced and explored a range of topics related to mountains. Great cooperation with Parks Canada!

By Dillon E

Jun 17, 2021

Very informative, enjoyed the combination of guest speakers, photography, videos and mountain tips that were shared!

By Robert E

Jul 11, 2020

Great course, very well spoken instructers , beautiful landscapes. I really enjoyed the course. Thank you very much.

By Gregori R

Sep 26, 2021

Its a top course, good explanations and great pictures, very interesting for people who aimed mountains ant nature.

By roger p

Aug 16, 2021

This was the best online course that I've ever have studied so far. Many thanks for providing such awesome content.

By Shellbie c

Apr 23, 2021

supper helpful and informative, 10/10 would recommend for someone who wants to know more about the world we live in

By Russell E

Aug 5, 2020

I enjoyed the way program was laid out. The professors were excellent. Learned so much more then I thought I knew.

By Chee-Keong J N

Apr 16, 2020

It has covered all general information and education on mountain and related issues you need to know as a beginner.

By Caroline B

Apr 28, 2020

Fantastic course. Interesting information delivered by a host of enthusiastic professionals. Definitely recommend!

By Kathryn D

Jan 13, 2021

Really useful level of detail on many aspects of mountains, not just geology but biodiversity, climate, and more.

By Jennifer S

May 4, 2020

Very educational and interesting information, along with beautiful images and knowledgeable teachers. Thank you!!

By Jordan

Jul 7, 2021

L​oved every second of it! lots of great information, taught by some very knowledgable people! highly recommend!

By Michael G

Apr 13, 2017

The best online course that I've ever took! Thank you Dr. Robinson and Dr. Hik for making this course available!

By Nicole F

Apr 10, 2017

Thoroughly enjoyed this course. The dedicated instructors emanate their love for our planet and its environment.