Back to Mountains 101

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mountains 101 by University of Alberta

Mountains 101­­ is a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world. This 12-lesson course covers an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world. Specifically, we'll study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time; we’ll learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally; we’ll explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time; and we’ll learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate. At the end of each lesson, Mountains 101 will also provide learners with some smart tricks -- Tech Tips -- to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment: from how to pick the best footwear for hiking to making smart decisions in avalanche terrain. We’ll be delivering your online lessons from valley bottoms to mountaintops, from museums and labs, to alpine huts and other spectacular alpine sites, and we’ll do so with the help of a whole host of experts. We invite you to join us for this online adventure! The mountains are calling......

LB
May 4, 2021

Entertaining and interesting subject. This course gives us a perfect overview of mountains' importance on our environment and their value to our lives as a human. Thank you for this incredible course.

SK
Dec 22, 2017

So interesting! So well made, every lesson is thought out the interactive mountain map was a joy to complete each time! Incredibly thoughtful and sensitive to every aspect that touches the mountains.

451 - 475 of 829 Reviews for Mountains 101

By Edward J H

Oct 13, 2021

Great overview of mountains, narrated professionally by academics, who I think must have practiced quite a bit!

By Peter S

Mar 28, 2021

Wonderful course! I recommend that anyone with an interest in mountains and the environment take this course.

By Lydia H

Jun 25, 2020

Full of beautiful and impresing images, exemples, illustrations and conversations with specialists. Loved it!!!

By Kianee F

Jun 11, 2020

Really enjoyed this course. Learnt a lot about different mountain aspects. Well taught and interesting content

By George G S

Oct 17, 2017

Such a great presentation. I went straight through the entire course in two long evenings. Truly outstanding.

By LaVerne M

Nov 5, 2020

I thought that this course was excellent. I learned lots about the mountains in my backyard here is Alberta

By Donalda B

Apr 27, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. The content was interesting and the activities enhanced the course content.

By Debra S

Apr 8, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed the course, Thanks!

I would enjoy any recommendations you might have for further courses!

By Patricia C

Apr 8, 2021

Found this course to be broad, comprehensive, insightful, interesting, challenging and beautiful. Loved it!

By Spike B

Aug 12, 2020

The course covers a vast categories of topics related to mountains while keeping the content not dry at all.

By Stefan V

Feb 22, 2017

A very nice course for people who are clueless about mountains. It made me appreciate them more than before.

By ANGIE S F D

Aug 28, 2020

excelente curso muy interdiciplinar, y esto hace que sea muy nutrido y con una amplia gama de perspectivas.

By Pamela C

Sep 29, 2020

An excellent course with a breadth of knowledge about so many concepts related to mountains. Just awesome!

By Melissa J

Jul 1, 2020

The course was well taught, well-organized and covered all issues very well. I learned a lot! Thank you.

By Bahadır H A

Apr 2, 2020

Amazing content in a super nice tone! I suggest anyone who would like to discover the world of mountains!

By Anna E

Feb 22, 2020

Fantastic course! A lot of very interesting and usefull information! Million thanks to all contributors.

By María J R

Sep 29, 2019

I'm at week 5 but I love it so far. The way they explain and the examples they share are simply amazing.

By Lily D

Nov 16, 2017

Excellent course! Gives you a good understanding about the biodiveristy and the importance of mountains.

By Jenna W

Feb 21, 2021

Thank you! What a great introductory course to the importance and beauty of mountains around the world.

By Rain Z

Aug 12, 2021

​Brilliant course. I really learned a lot. Thanks for providing such inspiring learning opportunities.

By Joe H

Apr 3, 2018

Informative, Comprehensive, and intriuging.

Just what I was looking for from my first Coursera Course.

By Yamil G

May 5, 2017

It was full of very interesting insights and general enough for everybody to take something out of it.

By Marzia R N

Aug 16, 2021

awesome course. Specifically the visual of mountains. I really want to try for University of Albert .

By Tiffany S

Jan 3, 2021

absolutely fantastic!!! I learned so much and I am excited to get out there and be a mountain nerd :)

By Roggers H

Nov 21, 2019

indeed it was an experience for me since it was my first time to pursue an online course

thanks alot.